LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Commercial Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Grips replacement , shooter grade, Type? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41015)

STEINBVG 03-26-2021 05:57 AM

Grips replacement , shooter grade, Type?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everybody.
I am enjoying my 1977 Russian Mauser Luger with a different upper, but I would like to use a alternative , preferably inexpensive or even plastic set of shooter grips to avoid damage to the original.
There are some available on the web, but their shape at the bottom seems to be different from mine- they have more curvy line[bottom pic] and will leave a gap on the frame as the original grips have more straight lines around the screw[top pic]
Never mind the cut out for grip safety- I could easily machine that out.

But what type of grips should I looks for, how to formulate the search?

TY

Major Tom 03-26-2021 06:29 AM

I have bought grips online and they do not fit very well, so got rid of them. I would hope some one here would have a set to sell you.

Vlim 03-26-2021 07:55 AM

I doubt there are any aftermarket suppliers for 06/73 grips.

But you should be able to make normal aftermarket grips fit with a bit of tweaking. The grip safety cutout and the shape of the screw area will be the main challenge.

STEINBVG 03-26-2021 08:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlim (Post 337889)
I doubt there are any aftermarket suppliers for 06/73 grips.

But you should be able to make normal aftermarket grips fit with a bit of tweaking. The grip safety cutout and the shape of the screw area will be the main challenge.

That's what I thought. I have a set from Sarco, obviously p08 style, i will try to make them work, I guess for shooting it doesn't matter that I will have a bottom gap.
The other way to go to build ones from scratch smooth, I won't be able to checker them.
It's silly to spend a lot of money on a shooter grips ordering a perfectly fit custom made.
I will show later the outcome one way or another.
Thanks

rhuff 03-26-2021 02:53 PM

When I first got my 06/73, I was unhappy with the feel of the grips, compared to my early model P08s. I tried to find aftermarket grips, and also replacement OEM grips to modify......no luck. I ended up sending my grips off to a member here on the forum(now deceased) and he reshaped mine and re-checkered them. I am quite happy with the end result.

Edward Tinker 03-26-2021 03:19 PM

As an FYI, when I went to gunshows, I would have 5-8 pair of original and 2-4 sets of repro, and several times, the person literally checked their gun against my grips, trying them on, and then would not buy a set. Not fitting right -- too much --- And I would say, you will never get the chance again to try on multiple grips onto your luger :)

Lugerdoc 03-28-2021 10:54 AM

Steinbvg, You can order a new set of black plastic M29 Swiss grips that will fit your Mauser Parabellum pistol with minor fitting. Fitting the cheap Sarco/India made grip will be a MAJOR project. LOL, TH

STEINBVG 03-28-2021 02:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugerdoc (Post 337966)
Steinbvg, You can order a new set of black plastic M29 Swiss grips that will fit your Mauser Parabellum pistol with minor fitting. Fitting the cheap Sarco/India made grip will be a MAJOR project. LOL, TH

Thanks for the advice. Are these the grips you,re referring to?( 1t pic)
It appears that they might sit the best on my Interarms, except the bulging on the bottom front won,t be covered completely, but it might look even cool. I will seriously consider the black plastic.

I have fitted the Sarco grips, it came out very nice and tight, but as expected the screw areas and right top rear corner are not completely covered, but for a shooter it,s ok. As a matter of fact they are less square than the original ones and feel nicer in the hand.

Lugerdoc 03-29-2021 12:51 PM

Good job fitting those cheap Sarco/Indian made grips. I bet that you had to remove a lot of material from the inside to accomodate the grip safety. TH