LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Artillery Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   1917 DWM Artillery (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=33917)

TheRomanhistorian 02-11-2015 11:40 PM

1917 DWM Artillery

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

I picked this up in a Gunbroker auction for a reasonable price and the bore is a bit worn but you can still see rifling, the gun has had the toggle very buffed prior to a reblue but it's all matching except for the grips and the magazine. The magazine has had some modified magazine button (no clue what they used).

I'll have better photos come daylight but here's one from the range (I had to put a few rounds through). The magazine is a wooden base and has this marking: M.W. 24., 1948.

The gun itself is numbered 9422 m, I think (for the letter). It got buffed pretty hard...

Michael

DavidJayUden 02-12-2015 08:07 AM

How did it shoot?
dju

TheRomanhistorian 02-12-2015 12:14 PM

Surprisingly well! Though my own accuracy leaves a little to be desired (it's been about two months since I went to the range). I'll have to take it for a proper range visit in a bit. I was at the range with one of my other guns and I was trying to test magazine function with the original magazine.

TheRomanhistorian 02-15-2015 05:29 PM

9 Attachment(s)
I finally found some time to take photos after the hubbub of Valentine's Day (homemade beef stroganoff with cheesecake, etc... and I can only say that all this was well-received which means I get to buy more pistols!). ;)

Here are some better photos though it was perhaps too bright today. The magazine has had some weird modified magazine button added to it which seemed to prevent the toggle from unlocking and chambering a round (I had to fire it one round at a time to test things and had to carefully chamber as I think that weird mag button kept the toggle from properly working). The pistol functioned flawlessly with my Triple K magazines and other original Luger magazines (and it also liked this Danish magazine I got from Lugerdoc).

It's a a refinish though not a bad one but the finish is thinning near the safety and the DWM is pretty much faded due to overzealous buffing. The magazine it came with looks like a spare magazine with the + sign, it's marked M.W. 24./9158/Markings which were crossed out/+ (from top to bottom).

Lugerdoc 02-16-2015 12:12 PM

Michael, your current mag follower button appears to be a modified slotted screw. I do have new correct type checkered replacements available @$15, but if your HO is bouncing up on recoil, you may need a new HO spring to keep it down @$20 + $5 S&H for either or both. Tom

CAP Black 02-16-2015 10:52 PM

I have # 9233 with matching mag. It is an old work horse with not much bluing left; but i like the old girl and she shoots just fine.
Thanks
Jack

TheRomanhistorian 02-16-2015 11:01 PM

Tom - The HO seems to function fine with all my other Luger mags. I think, perhaps, something about this magazine is not letting the HO function properly. The HO will stay open and not even chamber from a full magazine when I use the one with the slotted screw head but likes the Danish magazine you sold me and the Triple Ks and original mags I have.

Jack - What a small world! I'm supremely pleased I picked this beauty up (drew a lot of attention at the range).