LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Artillery Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   1915 dwm... (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41928)

Daniel76 09-12-2022 07:25 AM

1915 dwm...

7 Attachment(s)
I started readng up on LP08's a while back, and several months ago I acquired my first, a common 1917 I'll post here later. I started reading about the various years and about rarity among those years. Just coincidentally I had been reading about 1915 dated DWM's and lo and behold, one shows up on GB. By the end of the week it only had one bid on it, and I thought it was getting away a little to inexpensively. I put a second bid on it expecting the typical feeding frenzy to start on it in the last 15 minutes.

Nothing happened and I left with it to my mild surprise. It not only is a 1915, but it has a period black-9 stamped into a correctly matched left grip. While the auction was running, I also did as much reading as I could on the '9' marked grips. The right grip is the only mismatched part on the pistol. Has fine-tune front and rear sights. DWM LP08's only made it into the a-suffix range in 1915, and I am happy with this one.

Roadster 02 09-12-2022 12:21 PM

May I ask? What price did it bring at auction?

Daniel76 09-12-2022 03:19 PM

$1824...right at $2k delivered with taxes and shipping.

Mac Cat 09-12-2022 04:15 PM

Wow, I think you got a very fair deal - and that's rare with auctions.

Thanks for sharing, too !

Doubs 09-12-2022 05:16 PM

You have a fine example of one of DWM's best military Lugers. In 1915 they were still turning out superb quality Lugers. The price was, IMO, an outstanding deal. As they say, "You done good"!!

My father owned four or five Lugers back in the 1920's and 1930's, all commercials with one exception; a 1915 DWM Artillery. He bought it from his favorite sporting goods store, Shipley's in Frederick, MD. It had been taken in as a trade. It came with a holster with the toe cut out of it and, IIRC, 96 German military surplus cartridges. The gun was absolutely perfect and as new. My father described it as the finest Luger he ever owned and as well fit and finished as any of the commercial Lugers he owned.

Interestingly, he said that it wouldn't make it through a magazine of the German cartridges without jamming. His friend at Shipleys who worked the gun counter, a knowledgeable gun enthusiast, suggested trying American made 9mm. He did and never again had a failure of any kind. There's an interesting story that goes along with that pistol and I'll tell it sometime.

Daniel76 09-12-2022 10:47 PM

Thanks for the comments. I am fairly new to collecting lugers, but not German small arms. It helps to have looked at old guns for the last 30 years. Also, I long ago learned the value of reading and although I have not posted here much, I have read an awful lot on this forum that has really helped my education. A wealth of information and experience here thant I am thankul to have available.

gunnertwo 09-12-2022 11:03 PM

Excellent!! More to follow, because you can't have just one.

G2