LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Swiss Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   I guess I'm a collector now... (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=40452)

a65l 06-29-2020 01:36 PM

that explains the group...

Sergio Natali 06-29-2020 02:07 PM

Sure you are a collector now, well done, and good luck for your next acquisitions!:thumbup:

Ron Wood 06-29-2020 06:09 PM

You certainly did well, and congratulations on becoming a "collector"! By the way, there is no such thing as a 1924 Swiss...they started production in 1918. I try to point that fact out every time I encounter it. My nomenclature preference is 1906 W+F.
Ron

Edward Tinker 06-29-2020 07:51 PM

I would agree and disagree on import markings - old school thought - OH MY GAWD, AN IMPORT MARKING !!

Half to shooter value!!

------------------------------------
Todays collectors - eh, maybe 20%....

-------------------------------------

To every collector - it depends - I would say most collectors would say 30-40% - BUT, it depends on the gun, rarity, condition, desirability

I'll buy a rare item with an import marking (rare equals, do I want it sometimes)

Ed

eagle7373 07-06-2020 11:55 AM

Very nice pistol. I also have a Swiss Model 29 and I love it.

You mentioned that you were using PPU ammo. I also used PPU initially in my Swiss Luger. It is consistent, and accurate, but pretty stoutly loaded. Produces a "basketball-sized" fireball, which is annoying if you're shooting indoors.

I think you can only get two factory brands of 7.65 Parabellum in the U.S... PPU and Fiocchi. Last I checked, Fiocchi is more expensive than PPU, but it is a lower pressure (with little fireball) and lower recoil ammo, compared to PPU.

All Lugers are dependent on barrel length for properly "matching" up with the right ammo. DWM made a whole series of 4-inch barrel Lugers in the 1920's which are known as the "Alphabet DWMs." I have one of those as well and because it has a shorter 7.65 barrel than your Swiss Luger, it requires more "oompf" to properly cycle the pistol. It is my unofficial theory that PPU optimizes their ammo to operate a 4-inch barrel pistol, while Fiocchi, optimizes their ammo to operate the Swiss Luger with it's 4.75-inch barrel.

All of this a long way of me suggesting that you might want to try some Fiocchi ammo as well. A general rule of thumb for all auto pistols is that you should use the least powerful ammo that reliably cycles the action. That way you are not beating up the pistol as you slam the parts together unnecessarily.

I load my own 7.65 ammo now and have different loads tuned to my pistols, including one for my post-war Mauser Parabellum with six-inch barrel. Highly accurate.

Best of luck on your collector pistol.