LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Krieghoff Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   New-to-me S Luger (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=37396)

Jeff Irving 07-12-2017 09:40 AM

New-to-me S Luger

I have Krieghoff Luger #1905. It has two (2) matching magazines. It came with a holster marked Frost und Jahnel, Breslau, and stamped WaA182. The holster contained a Luger tool faintly stamped with an eagle over 63. The grip panels are thick wood.

I am a new member and would like to know how to care for this Luger and the gear, and whatever else you can tell me. TIA...

Jeff Irving

Norme 07-12-2017 09:50 AM

Hi Jeff,
Welcome to the forum! Your Kreighoff is a new listing. Can you post photos? We would especially like to see those matching mags.
Regards, Norm

Edward Tinker 07-12-2017 09:55 AM

welcome to the forum!

pictures, lots of pictures

you don't take care of a luger any different than any other gun, cleaning (light) - oil them - don't get oil on grips or holster

if you shoot it, you are liable to destroy thousands of dollars of gun and make it a shooter :D

backstory on how you acquired it?

Jeff Irving 07-12-2017 09:37 PM

I don't have a cellphone and don't know how to take pics that can then go on the computer. Are there any forum members in the DC-Metro area who could take some pics of my gun and post them?

OK, thanks for the tip not to shoot it. I had pretty much come to that same conclusion myself, having read other comments on this forum. I am not a collector. This is my first Luger.

Backstory is that the gun, holster, etc. came to the US after WWII, carried by a former US Army soldier who lived on Eastern Long Island. That's what I was told. At some point, it passed from that veteran to the fellow from whom I purchased it.

spartacus38 07-13-2017 09:21 PM

Hi Jeff,
I sent you a private message.
Bob

Jeff Irving 07-13-2017 10:20 PM

OK. I understand the importance of posting some detailed pics. I'll work to get that accomplished. Because of personal travel, it'll be three weeks or so before I can get back to this project.

Any particular suggestions on what I should get photographed? What parts of the Luger itself? The magazines? &etc.?

TIA...Jeff Irving

DonVoigt 07-14-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Irving (Post 305308)
OK. I understand the importance of posting some detailed pics. I'll work to get that accomplished. Because of personal travel, it'll be three weeks or so before I can get back to this project.

Any particular suggestions on what I should get photographed? What parts of the Luger itself? The magazines? &etc.?

TIA...Jeff Irving

Have a look at some of the other posts with pictures of lugers and duplicate the views you see there.

The more the better. all markings for sure, and nice steady close ups.:thumbup:

John Sabato 07-17-2017 10:13 AM

Jeff, Welcome to the Lugerforum.

I work in the Metro DC area, and live in northern VA (near Winchester), I will also be travelling for a few weeks. Perhaps you can contact me via Private Message when you have a minute and give me some details about where you live/work, and we can get together when we are both back and get your photos taken. I would be happy to help out.

The only care advice I would offer this early is not to remove the wooden grips until someone shows you how. They are very easy to break if they haven't been removed in years... If your pistol has the brown or black bakelite (plastic) grips, they are also delicate, but less likely to break than the wooden grips.

Sergio Natali 07-17-2017 10:44 AM

Welcome to our LUGER forum, some detailed close up pictures taken in the shade in daylight without flash, (flash photo burns out the middle and most of the times leaves the rest far too dark to see) particularly of the markings, are almost requisite.

Eugen 07-17-2017 11:51 AM

Jeff, welcome to the forum. The Luger you describe could be very valuable and we all hope to see some detailed photos of it. Congrats on your acquisition. Be sure to read the FAQ section as there is a wealth of Luger info there that will really be helpful to a new owner. Ask me how I know. :)

Jeff Irving 07-17-2017 12:02 PM

John and Sergio...TY for your offer to help take some pics and general advice on taking care of the Luger. Believe me, I have been sufficiently admonished by a number of helpful folks far more knowledgeable than I, so I am being very conservative around handling the gun.

Meanwhile, I have now obtained two leads from my gun club to members who are experienced photographers of firearms. I'll contact them and get the pics taken toward the end of August. I understand that I should take lots of pics, including all the serial # locations, the various proof marks and anything else that we can find short of stripping the gun. Same for the two (2) matching magazines and the holster and tool.

So back to the forum in about five (5) weeks or so...

Jeff Irving

ithacaartist 07-17-2017 01:42 PM

Sounds good, Jeff,

There is field stripping...and then there is detail stripping. Don't hesitate to field strip. It is easy and non-intrusive to do if a little care is used. There are videos of the procedure on YouTube to help you through the first time. Besides, it needs to be done to check for the serial number on the firing pin.

Concerning John's caution about the grips, most risk can be avoided if only the right grip is removed. You can check for its serial number, and look through the grip frame to check the left grip while it's still in place. If the left grip is stuck to the grip frame, you'll have more to worry about than a serial number--but I feel this is most unlikely.

1933 FORD NUT 07-19-2017 12:25 PM

If you have the original grips they should not be numbered.

Sergio Natali 07-19-2017 04:02 PM

Jeff

In five weeks time everybody here will be sizzling waiting for your pictures.
I think that getting an all matching (I assume) HK with two matching mags is a very big score on your part and surely it's a big way to start a collection; because, I assume that you haven't bought a HK to take it down to the range, have you? :nono:
If I were you the only thing I would do now would be field strip it (mind the grips, but you already know that) gently clean it and lube it with some BALLISTOL.
As soon as you'll get more expert about it, you'll have to disassemble it and check every part for rust, clean & lube it, then reassemble everything.

Congrats again!

Looking forward to see your HK.

Best regards.

Jeff Irving 08-28-2017 01:18 PM

How To Post Pics...?

I hope to have a friend take some pics of #1905 this coming Wednesday. Can you pls tell me how he can go ahead and post these pics through my registered account? Or does he have to register and then do this through his own account?

I'm pathetic when it comes to this sort of computer stuff...

Jeff Irving

ithacaartist 08-28-2017 01:54 PM

Jeff, if he logs on using your username and password he should have no problem uploading them. They can be added to your original post by an edit, or here at the end of the thread in a reply. Click on "go advanced" then "manage attachments"

Jeff Irving 08-30-2017 03:45 PM

1905 Photos

10 Attachment(s)
First batch of photos

Jeff Irving 08-30-2017 03:48 PM

Pics Coming Of #1905

TY Ithacaartist. My shooting buddy, Jim Davy, took a # of pics of the Luger. He will try to get them posted to this thread later today.

The pics are in a format that allows viewers to really zoom-in closely for details, while still maintaining resolution.

I tried to have Jim take pics that would pretty much present the Luger just as I received it about a year ago.

I will appreciate any reactions/feedback/etc. that members of this forum may have...

Jeff Irving

Jeff Irving 08-30-2017 03:50 PM

1905 Photos

10 Attachment(s)
Second batch of photos

Jeff Irving 08-30-2017 03:54 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Third batch of photos