LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All P-08 Military Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   playing with my new makro lens ... (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=27512)

wolfganggo 01-08-2012 06:43 AM

playing with my new makro lens ...

10 Attachment(s)
Good morning gentleman

while christmas holidays i spent some time in doing pictures with my new macro objective lens and studio lights. using a nikkon D90 and pc program to control the camera, doing some finishing work with photoshop at the computer, brings this pictures. i hope you will enjoy …..

wolfganggo ...:thumbup:

alanint 01-08-2012 06:58 AM

I love the "floating" effect you created for the subject piece!

Very nice images!!

Neil Young 01-08-2012 08:36 AM

Great photos. I got a new new camera and a macro lens for Christmas too but I will not be able to take such photos. Thanks for showing.

By the way, what size did you make the attachments?

Neil

guns3545 01-08-2012 08:47 AM

Beautiful work. Congratulations.

You must tell us how you obtained these wonderful effects.

John :thumbup:

drbuster 01-08-2012 04:26 PM

Thanks for showing a rare apparently functional magazine saftied police luger!

Arizona Slim 01-08-2012 04:33 PM

Absolutely the best photos I have ever seen, thanks for sharing.
Lon

pitsword 01-08-2012 04:49 PM

Beautiful. Very nice work sir!

saab-bob 01-08-2012 06:59 PM

Thanks for the great pics!
I finally understand how the luger magazine safety works!
Bob

wolfganggo 01-09-2012 02:34 AM

how i did this pix....

1 Attachment(s)
for all of you interested in doing this kind of pictures.
i tried two years to picture my parabellum so, that it shows her best side.
sometimes you find good pictures in the net, sometimes there are tips and tricks attached.
using a summary of all these tips leads to my pictures.

first of all i had to learn, best background is white.
i tried velvetfabric, handtowels, wood, cotton fabric, blankets, etc. in different colors. always got poor results, the background looks unnatural and/or makes color reflections at the gun.

second i had to learn, you have to use the best light you can get.
artificial light has to be diffused, more than one light source is necessary to get acceptable results. now i use at least 2 spots with diffusing umbrellas and one spot directed to the room ceiling.
you need this to eliminate shadows and to get enough light to turn the aperture to a minimum to get the most possible depth of sharpness

third i learned use a computer program to control your camera,
a long shutter time shows you without mercy every little vibration. tripod for your camera is mandatory……
set ISO away from auto, to a little amount, lets try maximum ISO 200. the pictures are getting sharper, you will be able to zoom in without pixeling of your picture.

very important
lighten up you picture when shooting, i use about +2 1/3 LW. you will get better results, you will suddenly recognize much more details at you gun.
do an manual whitebalance, without this, you will ever get guns in a false color.

copy the pictures to you pc and finish them.
personally using ACDSee Pro 4 to correct color and exposure value (EV), brighten up dark corners at you gun and set an good looking of color and brightness. do not use it in excess, but use this tool, it’s nice to see suddenly details coming up from brigthend up shady parts of your gun
try to set all pictures of an set to approximately similar looking of the gunblueing – use one specialy good looking picture as master in an second window at your desktop to match following pictures.

last i take the picture and edit it with adobe photoshop.
i cut the gun out of the picture, using the path tool. do not try to cut it with the magic wand, the result will be unsatisfactory.
it takes me many hours to learn the usage of path tool, layers, cutting out and inserting into a new picture … photoshop is a very inscrutable tool for untrained users like me
shortforminstruction … open the picture, using the path tool, cut the gun, photoshop should do this in an new layer, cut all holes etc. (for example the open part inside the triggerguard) also with the path tool, gather all layers with cutouts and copy it to an new, empty picture.
now you should have the gun exclusive, without background. last step, to set your personal background …

I added some pictures within the next posts to show you the steps described above…..

regards wolfganggo ..... :bigbye:

wolfganggo 01-09-2012 02:36 AM

false whitebalance and false EVadjustment

1 Attachment(s)
samples:

wolfganggo 01-09-2012 02:37 AM

white balance set, EV adjustment changed

2 Attachment(s)
samples:

wolfganggo 01-09-2012 02:41 AM

finished with ACDSee and photoshop ...

5 Attachment(s)
samples:
just after posting i have seen that i have forgotten to cut away a little part inside the triggerguard, sorry...

i saved the last one in correct manner, now correct cut....

wolfganggo .... :bigbye:

Douglas Jr. 01-09-2012 07:43 AM

Wolfgang,

You're becoming a professional photographer!
Great pictures for sure.
And thanks for the tutorial about how to obtain such results.

Douglas

DavidJayUden 01-09-2012 08:27 AM

I'd hate to have to dust your studio...
dju

wolfganggo 01-09-2012 08:49 AM

its my mothers teddybear and krimskrams collection.
so she will do the work to keep it clean..... :D

Dwight Gruber 01-09-2012 08:51 AM

Well done

--Dwight

John Sabato 01-09-2012 11:02 AM

Excellent tutorial... many thanks!

mrerick 01-09-2012 08:57 PM

Wolfgang,

Your pictures are superb! Very nice, and quite a bit of labor.

In video, we use a false color (green or blue) background for automating the cutout of foreground images and insertion of backgrounds.

This technique would work well in photoshop, and could eliminate quite a bit of the labor you must invest to rotoscope out the image. The key is to not allow the background color to reflect on the firearm's highlights. That is done through lighting. Tools that select by color can even do the cutout with the transparent shadow intact.

I also use a black background cloth called Duvtyne. It absorbs light. This allows me to set the exposure of the firearm itself more accurately.

Your need to stop down automatic exposure is because of the reflectance of the white background. It all works out in the end. Exposure meters are calibrated to an 18% reflective grey card.

Marc

newluger 01-10-2012 05:07 PM

Great photos.

wolfganggo 01-11-2012 06:17 PM

hy marc
thx for this infos. i tried with colored backgrounds, but as you mentioned, the shadows at the reflecting parts of the gun where colored like the background.
also i was not able to cut the background away with the photoshop software.

but

after your post i will try to get this light eating stuff for the back, and do another try with both, colored background and the blackstuff.

thx for the infos

wolfganggo