LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Unit Markings (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Discontinued use of markings (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=40858)

jeb111 01-19-2021 08:18 AM

Discontinued use of markings

Just wondering why the German military stopped the practice of placing unit markings on their firearms after 1916? I assume it was because it seemed to be impractical but was there another reason?

Norme 01-19-2021 09:06 AM

The Germans ended the practice of unit marking for security reasons.
Norm

Vlim 01-19-2021 09:36 AM

Yes, it's like putting the GPS coordinates of your secret base on the side of your tank.

Edward Tinker 01-19-2021 10:09 AM

For WW1 it might have ended in 1916 - but marking was used through the weimar years

army and police

jeb111 01-19-2021 11:29 AM

Yeah sure that makes a lot of sense!

DonVoigt 01-19-2021 11:06 PM

And some 1917 and 1918 lugers are found with unit markings- not everyone
got the memo. ;)

Doubs 01-20-2021 01:32 AM

Considering that armorers put the markings on the guns at unit level, it's possible that - as Don suggests - not everyone got the message OR someone in the command structure of the unit insisted that their guns be marked. Why we may never know but we do know that a small number of 1917 and 1918 Lugers were unit marked.

jeb111 01-20-2021 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubs (Post 336352)
Considering that armorers put the markings on the guns at unit level, it's possible that - as Don suggests - not everyone got the message OR someone in the command structure of the unit insisted that their guns be marked. Why we may never know but we do know that a small number of 1917 and 1918 Lugers were unit marked.

Very interesting, I originally thought that it was too impractical to mark weapons because when they went back for repair it would seem that it would be a logistical headache to return it back to its unit.

Patrick Sweeney 01-20-2021 02:15 PM

That would depend on how high up the food chain it had to go for repairs.

And a thought: could the unit-marked 1917 and 1918 pistols seen have been older frames with newer uppers, force-matched in serial number during rebuild?

jeb111 01-20-2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Sweeney (Post 336360)

And a thought: could the unit-marked 1917 and 1918 pistols seen have been older frames with newer uppers, force-matched in serial number during rebuild?

Something to think about for sure.

DonVoigt 01-21-2021 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Sweeney (Post 336360)

Anything is possible; but ones I have seen were matching and not reworked or
renumbered pistols.

Everyone just didn't get the message or chose not to comply- as Doubs said.

LU1900 01-22-2021 12:32 PM

I have seen some 17 and 18 with new unit mark create during those years , new regiments made with some unit subsistant from destroyed regiment

Michigan Gunner 03-14-2021 05:57 PM

I just bought a 1916 DWM Luger from an estate yesterday (3-13-21). It has unit markings on the front of the grip.

Lock and Load!

Patrick Sweeney 03-15-2021 10:39 AM

Which reminds me of a tale that may or may not be true. When the British army changed the dress code to not require/prohibit pig-tails (an early man-ponytail) they also changed the uniform code regs. With the pig-tail, uniform jackets had a small tab or triangle of leather sewn onto the collar, to keep the hair oil (applied to make it behave, and "look good") out of the collar wool.

At least one regiment received the order to nix the pig-tail, but did not get the order to remove the leather patch. So they proudly kept sewing leather collar patches on their uniforms until the regs caught up with them.

I can see some by-the-book senior NCO or officer insisting "Until I get it in writing, I'm not going to stop doing what earlier orders require me to do." Or, a senior NCO in the armorers unit, who got rotated back before the change (wounded, convalescing, whatever) and came back after, stubbornly insisted on marking until someone told him to knock it off.

Wars are usually messy affairs.

Ron Wood 03-15-2021 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Sweeney (Post 337628)

Wars are usually messy affairs.

I think that is engraved in stone someplace, but without the "usually".
Ron

cirelaw 03-15-2021 01:50 PM

The explanation above makes sense! If lost or sent for repair, they knew where to return it!! Also to keep track of how many went where or returned!

cirelaw 03-15-2021 02:24 PM

Did unit marking begin in 1913> I have 2 unmarked and one marked '7. T .3. 51.' Telegraph Unit

DonVoigt 03-16-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cirelaw (Post 337635)
Did unit marking begin in 1913> I have 2 unmarked and one marked '7. T .3. 51.' Telegraph Unit

Not all pistols were marked, so having unmarked luger pistols of any date is not unusual.

mrerick 03-16-2021 10:59 AM

The concept of concealment permeated the German thinking as they realized that they had to dodge the inspectors for the IMKK (Versailles Treaty Inter Military Control Commission).... While the police pistols were authorized for Simson manufacture and rework (and were being unit marked) in the Weimar era, other activities at the arms factories were not permitted.

There is documentation of one of these dodges of inspectors in Mauser during that period. They were not permitted to make "military" caliber pistols for commercial sale, so they designated their C-96 pistols as being "C-96 Pistol model .30 Mauser" in the books which were audited by IMKK staff in Berlin. The actual pistols were "C-96 Pistol model .30 Mauser with 9mm barrel" as found in factory records and being manufactured in Oberndorf. I expect that when IMKK inspectors showed up in Oberndorf, those "special" orders were set aside somewhere.

By 1934, after the Nazi government had decided to ignore the IMKK and Versailles Treaty restrictions, concealment codes really came into use. First was the "K" in 1934 and "G" in 1935 for date codes, and the use of "S" as part of the manufacturer concealment "S/42" to imply some relationship with SImson - the IMKK authorized manufacturer of pistols under the Versailles Treaty. I suspect handguns and specifically controlled items were the early products to get concealment codes, which eventually spread widely in their contracting.

You can see that by then, unit markings had been abandoned for several years with security and concealment of the movement of military units (and eventually the formation and migration of police agencies) a reasonable motivation.