LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Holster Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Western Luger Holster (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42095)

reiver 02-23-2023 05:26 PM

Western Luger Holster

1 Attachment(s)
I saw this and took a picture as this is very cool imo.... the luger/western holster combo.
Took the pic to one of our local saddle makers and she is going to replicate this is a light brown with floral carving.

Norme 02-23-2023 08:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Like this one?
Norm

ithacaartist 02-23-2023 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reiver (Post 346834)
I saw this and took a picture as this is very cool imo.... the luger/western holster combo.
Took the pic to one of our local saddle makers and she is going to replicate this is a light brown with floral carving.

Before she gets started, ask if she's interested in quoting a price for making more than one, and establishing a bit of economy of scale. I think a one-off would make it the most expensive possible, but once patterns and assembly technique are nailed down, it would be easy to make more. I have a few Lugers with 4 5/8" pencil taper barrels and would consider scoring at least one nice, commercial holster.

gunnertwo 02-23-2023 09:57 PM

David,

Great idea! Would look great for the American Eagle or the 1920's commercials.

G2

Ron Wood 02-24-2023 12:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I like Western holsters for the Luger also. Having lived in the El Paso area on the Mexican border for many years, some of my Lugers probably have wandered back and forth over that border a time or two. I have two examples that came with western style holsters that most likely came up out of Mexico a long time ago.

The first one I picked up is an unusual 1914. It is one of the few 1914 dated Lugers in the 8000a-9400a serial number range (as documented by Jan Still) that do not have a stock lug and bear C/X C/X C/X acceptance stamps on the right receiver. It is serial number 8310a and almost certainly spent time in Mexico as evidenced by the Mexican Eagle crest set on both grips. There is no marking on the holster and it shows its age…but still neat.

The second one is also one I picked up a long time ago. It is a very early American Eagle, #2136, that came in a nifty flap top holster with decorative stamping. May have been made in Mexico, but it also could have come from a saddlery on this side of the border…it bears no maker mark but does have the number 174 stamped on the belt loop, and the fine stitching looks in the style of Sam Meyers or Fred Thacker from El Paso.

Ron

reiver 02-24-2023 12:27 PM

I'll ask about making more than one....I know Karen very well and she has made some sniper cheek pads for M41B Swed Mausers for a few of us.... she does great work and is a quality carver.
She has 2 saddles to make prior so it will take some time.... she is also a cancer survivor so not exactly speedy but an honest and great gal.

It may take a few months actually with her one person shop...her

Riata Saddlery Wickenburg Az

I suspect she has a facebook deal...I don't do that but might give you an idea of her work.

Edward Tinker 02-26-2023 03:10 PM

I have a number of commercial luger holsters, Bill had some great ones I bought a few years ago.
I will try and get some pictures. I like western holsters for early lugers, have some pictures of them.

Unless you have scale of scores or hundreds, making a couple holsters will cost a lot.

gunbugs 02-26-2023 04:34 PM

" but once patterns and assembly technique are nailed down, it would be easy to make more. "

It's always "easy" when someone else is doing it.
Folks come into my shop and one of the first things they say is "this'll be easy". I reply,"then why didn't you already do it?"

Buy the tools, develop your skills, hang a shingle. "It's easy".

gunnertwo 02-27-2023 01:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Was viewing the Meadows holster book this evening and ran across this Heiser ad for various holsters. Models are shown for Luger pistols.

G2

reiver 06-04-2023 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbugs (Post 346872)
" but once patterns and assembly technique are nailed down, it would be easy to make more. "

Folks come into my shop and one of the first things they say is "this'll be easy". I reply,"then why didn't you already do it?"

True, the real time involved will be the hand carving not the pattern itself.

I doubt she'll make more than one, she has a busy saddle making business and she is a cancer survivor with that energy level....but I'll ask. I am in line.

Sharpsdressed Man 06-06-2023 08:33 AM

I was able to get a couple custom holsters for Lugers made by a top custom holster maker by supplying a 1/1 metal bb pistol, as they needed it to mold, not having a cast dummy gun for that. Best of wishes for your results. Keep us posted.

ithacaartist 06-06-2023 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbugs (Post 346872)

I should have said relatively easier. I totally agree with what you said; the same is absolutely true for metal/fabricating work. Nonetheless, there should be a significant price difference between a one-off of anything versus the price of a unit among even a limited series.