LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Holster Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   AWM Holster (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41319)

jeb111 08-21-2021 10:53 PM

AWM Holster

I have an AWM holster that I got for my first Luger 30yrs ago it is marked AWM with a 2 over a 10. I understand the holster was made in workshop #2 in 1910. Are these holsters hard to come by or are they common as being made what i suppose was a government leather factory. If I remember right I paid $100 for it in 1991 to go with my 1937 Mauser. Obviously it's not the right holster for that pistol but back then I knew nothing about holsters and not much more about Lugers. Any info appreciated.
Jim

Pistol 08-22-2021 05:13 PM

AWM stands for Artillerie- Werkstätten- München" (Artillery Workshop Munich). They would be appropriate for WWI Bavarian lugers. Many times they are regimental marked with Bavarian units.

I would not call them rare, but they are relatively scarace compared to some others. You will see them come up for sale every once in a while.

They are nice holsters and made well. In my opinion, they command a higher price than other similar conditioned WWI holsters. One in good condition will fetch $300+.

Does your AWM have any stamps or marks?

jeb111 08-22-2021 07:32 PM

Pistol, I looked hard at the holster again and under the flap are stamped letters that are very hard to read. One line has a # or letter that is not legible then a O then two other #'s or letters that are worn and then a second line that is possibly an R then a smudged M then a very legible G.K.
You are right it is a very well made holster, all the stitching is in good shape as is the buckles, straps and tool pouch. It is stamped with a 3 over 10 not a 2.
Thanks
Jim

Pistol 08-22-2021 08:32 PM

Hey Jim,

Can you post a photo of the markings?

jeb111 08-22-2021 10:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures of the holster, they came out ok not using natural light.

JTD 08-24-2021 10:23 PM

Nice looking holster Jim. Thanks for sharing it with us. I cannot blow up picture to see mark under the flap. Looks to be a machine gun company. I probably have a nice holster to go with your 37 luger if you wish to work out a deal with this one, or if you just want to purchase one . I have a few MGK marked lugers, and just maybe......? Could you post a pic that shows the unit mark under the flap a little better? Also back of the holster. If nothing else, we may be able to decipher it for you.
Best guess, 1910 over a regiment # MGK. John

jeb111 08-25-2021 07:07 AM

JDT, I will repost the picture. I don’t know why it won’t zoom in, it was something I did when I uploaded the picture. I will have to have my wife help me as she the the computer wiz. There is no markings on the back of holster. It is in excellent shape. I would be very interested in a 1937 holster if you have one! Give me a few days to repost as my wife is a nurse and she is working crazy hours due to COVID. Strange that the regimental markings would be under the flap. I would think the markings would wear off easier that way, no? Thanks for your interest.
Jim

JTD 08-25-2021 07:49 PM

Jim, will look thru my holster collection over the weekend to see what I have and do some photos also. Will PM you once I do, John

jeb111 08-29-2021 05:01 PM

luger holster regimental stamp

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the repost of my holsters regimental mark, hopefully you can zoom in on this one.
Jim