LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Holster Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Stock/Holster reproductions, which one is better?? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=39703)

midwestern31 06-14-2019 07:46 PM

Stock/Holster reproductions, which one is better??

I came across 2 different stock and holster rigs that look comparable but the price difference is huge. I'm wonder if anyone has bought one from either of these companies and can attest to their quality?

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/lugerartil...olsterrig.aspx
https://lugerman.com/product/artillery-luger-stock-rig/

I'm going to be shooting it but I also value having something that's good quality and looks and feels nice. Is the Lugerman stock really worth $200 more? I would appreciate pictures as well.

DonVoigt 06-15-2019 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwestern31 (Post 326147)
I came across 2 different stock and holster rigs that look comparable but the price difference is huge. I'm wonder if anyone has bought one from either of these companies and can attest to their quality?

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/lugerartil...olsterrig.aspx
https://lugerman.com/product/artillery-luger-stock-rig/

I'm going to be shooting it but I also value having something that's good quality and looks and feels nice. Is the Lugerman stock really worth $200 more? I would appreciate pictures as well.

I don't think so.

Go with the Sarco rig, and live with it or spend $1000+ and get an original rig. This is one time there is not much "in between"

Actually, I'd just buy the stock. Unless you are a re-enactor, you won't be using the holster- will you?:confused:
Any new holster will be quite rough on the finish of your pistol

midwestern31 06-15-2019 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 326155)
[/COLOR]

I don't think so.

Go with the Sarco rig, and live with it or spend $1000+ and get an original rig. This is one time there is not much "in between"

Actually, I'd just buy the stock. Unless you are a re-enactor, you won't be using the holster- will you?:confused:
Any new holster will be quite rough on the finish of your pistol

Thanks for the suggestion, now that I see videos of people shooting them, they all have the holster off. For some reason I thought it might be used as a recoil pad or something. Just the board is the best price and the most useful :)

I still wonder how different the companies are, maybe they order them from the same place?

lugerholsterrepair 06-15-2019 12:47 PM

For some reason I thought it might be used as a recoil pad or something. That is exactly a function the holster performs and if you shoot much you will come to appreciate it. The sharp edge of a board stock and a 9MM make for a sore shoulder pretty quickly.

Ron Wood 06-15-2019 01:06 PM

For what it matters or not, the LugerMan magazine pouch looks more like an original than the Pakistan repro at Sarco.
Ron

lugerholsterrepair 06-15-2019 01:30 PM

Ron, Yes I noticed this..a nice touch but I wonder it that little detail is worth the money? It's kind of an ugly color.

My sage advice is to bite the bullet and slowly but surely acquire original accoutrements.

One other small detail often overlooked is the LugerMan magazine pouch or any other for that matter should NOT be attached to the Artillery carry strap. Only the NAVY carried the magazine pouch on the carry strap. The ARMY Artillery magazine pouch was carried on the combat belt.

midwestern31 06-17-2019 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 326166)
For some reason I thought it might be used as a recoil pad or something. That is exactly a function the holster performs and if you shoot much you will come to appreciate it. The sharp edge of a board stock and a 9MM make for a sore shoulder pretty quickly.

Could you provide a visual example of how this is supposed to work? every video and image doesn't provide a good view of how a holster might be used as a recoil pad.

Ron Wood 06-17-2019 08:30 AM

It really doesn't act as a recoil pad as it doesn't wrap around the end of the board stock. In effect, it just abuts the stock and makes a wider contact with your shoulder rather than just the narrow edge of the wood stock.
Ron

Vlim 06-17-2019 09:46 AM

It actually sits a bit higher than the stock and as Ron said it fills up the area between shoulder and torso.

I did some experimentation with a full leather equipped artillery rig years ago and it was surprisingly comfortable, even when lying down.

I used one of the CMR sets.

lugerholsterrepair 06-17-2019 12:16 PM

Both Ron and Gerben are correct. The holster extends beyond the end of the stock and affords SOME cushion effect. Not much but way more than a bare stock.

DonVoigt 06-17-2019 01:35 PM

I can't believe we're talking about recoil being unpleasant-let alone hurting- on a luger with a shoulder stock!
If you can fire it with one hand, it can't be much of a problem with a stock- narrow or wide.
JMHO.

If it is, wear a jacket. :)

lugerholsterrepair 06-17-2019 01:46 PM

I can't believe we're talking about recoil being unpleasant-let alone hurting- on a luger with a shoulder stock!

I can't believe you have never shot an Artillery with a shoulder stock! Cause there IS considerable recoil.

Norme 06-17-2019 02:09 PM

All the contemporary illustrations I have seen show German soldiers shooting their Lugers one-handed and with the elbow slightly bent. I believe this position significantly reduces felt recoil. When shooting with a stock firmly up against the shoulder I can well believe that the felt recoil would be greater.
Norm

DonVoigt 06-17-2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 326215)

I can't believe you have never shot an Artillery with a shoulder stock! Cause there IS considerable recoil.

I have, many times, I would not call it much recoil at all! :evilgrin:

But then I've shot rifles too. :rolleyes:

Excuse me, but a 9mm P just does not have much recoil at all. JMHO

But if one is sensitive or has a bone-y shoulder- maybe your result is different; I have a lot of padding everywhere.:p

lugerholsterrepair 06-17-2019 05:56 PM

Maybe it's the 32 round drum gettin me.

HerrKaiser 06-17-2019 06:05 PM

Maybe someone could hit a double here and get a Luger that is legally fitted with a stock either rebarrelled to, or outfitted with a spare cannon assembly chambered in, .30 Luger and see how that feels for those with bony and/or sensitive shoulders?

Don’s recently acquired Finnish rig could also be a good case study for this if he is willing to run a few mags through it or otherwise has the ability to to make it into a .30 shooter and is willing to do so. Otherwise I may have given myself an eventual project idea.

DonVoigt 06-18-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerrKaiser (Post 326224)
Maybe someone could hit a double here and get a Luger that is legally fitted with a stock either rebarrelled to, or outfitted with a spare cannon assembly chambered in, .30 Luger and see how that feels for those with bony and/or sensitive shoulders?

Don’s recently acquired Finnish rig could also be a good case study for this if he is willing to run a few mags through it or otherwise has the ability to to make it into a .30 shooter and is willing to do so. Otherwise I may have given myself an eventual project idea.

Could,
except it was rebarreled by the Finns to 9mm.;)

I have no sympathy for folks who have bony shoulders, it is way too easy to put some padding between bone and stock!:D

Norme 06-18-2019 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[I have no sympathy for folks who have bony shoulders, it is way too easy to put some padding between bone and stock!:D[/QUOTE]

You can say what you like Don, but at the end of the day those skinny guys get all the pretty girls.
Norm

HerrKaiser 06-18-2019 11:11 AM

If you find the right one, you start off skinny and she helps you to build up that padding as the years go on! As my mom and pops tell me, the best sign of a healthy relationship is when they are both old, fat, and make each other happy every day.

DonVoigt 06-18-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norme (Post 326243)
[I have no sympathy for folks who have bony shoulders, it is way too easy to put some padding between bone and stock!:D

You can say what you like Don, but at the end of the day those skinny guys get all the pretty girls.
Norm[/QUOTE]

Yep,
and they probably don't complain about the recoil of a stocked luger either- real men!:cheers: