LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Gun Show Announcements & Discussion (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Man Accidentally Shot At Gun Show (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=35095)

Arizona Slim 12-06-2015 10:39 AM

Man Accidentally Shot At Gun Show

Although rare it still happens. According to an AP article in this mornings paper "A man at a gun show in Phoenix was accidentally shot Saturday at a gun show at the Arizona State Fairgrounds by his friend that had recently purchased a semi-automatic hand gun when it discharged. His injuries are said not to be life-threatening but did enter his upper torso." It seems to me that it should be a requirement that all semi-automatic handguns should have a zip tie through the barrel and out the chamber to ensure that they don't have a round left after removal of the magazine.

Lon

calibrator 12-06-2015 11:13 AM

A local News Babe was heard to say; "the pistol was an antique". Yesterday, there was an EMT from the scene posting on a local Gun Forum that the round was a 7.62X28. The Shooter had just purchased the pistol, and it was his friend that was shot.

We were walking to the entrance when the Fire Dept responded. There was no indication that anything had happened. We talked to many vendors in that building, and not one alluded to the incident. I didn't realize it happened until I got home and visited said Forum.

This was not the 1st ND at a PHX area Gun Show. Locals have dubbed the other as "The Helicopter Lady" incident.

alvin 12-09-2015 05:58 PM

Operated the gun too carelessly. If followed safety rules, this should never happen.

Arizona Slim 12-09-2015 08:16 PM

Agree completely Alvin. Seems to be a very common mistake people make with semi-auto's, they assume that if the mag is removed the gun is empty. While both the buyer and seller made the assumption that the pistol was empty I believe the seller should bear a slightly larger share of the blame, but then again he isn't the one that pulled the trigger.

Lon

Edward Tinker 12-09-2015 11:12 PM

At most gun shows I have set up, it is required to have a zip tie

This sure sounds like a owner who loaded it after buying, just sounds that way to me...

policeluger 12-10-2015 01:37 AM

years ago when handed a p38 to look at, as I pulled the mag out, saw that it was loaded,chamber was cleared, the vendor had carried it to the show as a protection weapon and had put it on the table for sale, needless to say the was a public uproar.....

Sergio Natali 12-10-2015 02:17 AM

Not long ago I was at a gushop and the armourer was talking to me while he was putting away a gun that somebody had just left for sale, then found that the gun had been left there fully loaded!

DonVoigt 12-10-2015 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luger.parabellum (Post 281188)
Not long ago I was at a gushop and the armourer was talking to me while he was putting away a gun that somebody had just left for sale, then found that the gun had been left there fully loaded!

Happens all the time at my local shop; people are idiots.

The gun at the show was likely told to be "un-loaded"; everyone knows that only un-loaded guns have "accidental" discharges.:mad:

MikeP 12-12-2015 08:52 AM

No such thing as an accidental discharge.
All are negligent discharges.
I have not been to a show in a long time that did not require wire ties.
I have witnessed 4 ADs in my lifetime at gunshows, no injuries, but the fools had to pack up and leave.
All 20+ years ago.

Mac Cat 12-12-2015 12:03 PM

Nobody uses zip ties any longer in my part Texas. Not even at the gun shows. I would think that insurance would compel them to make it a policy, but I haven't seen any evidence of that. All the weapons in the stores, pawn shops, and shows are ready to fire. I've even seen people dry fire pistols.

wlyon 12-12-2015 12:09 PM

In Montana zip ties are required on all table weapons and all brought in. Not 100 percent secure but better than none." It is hard to fix stupid". Bill

Curly1 12-12-2015 12:38 PM

+1 ^^^ Same here and peeps holding the show check each table before the doors open.

Sergio Natali 12-12-2015 12:56 PM

I must agre with Mike, "accidental discharges" don't exist.
All are negligent discharges. and they happen everywhere unfortunately.

Dick Herman 12-12-2015 01:28 PM

The Houston Gun Collectors Association hosts the oldest and largest gun show in Texas. The HGCA has required zip ties on all firearms for many years. All of the public customers have their guns checked on admission and are tied. In fact, they may be one of the first shows in the country to require the use of ties. The HGCA also utilizes block captains to check the tables and customers for compliance.

Over the years there have been pistol discharges usual on setup day by dealers. Stupid lack of safety protocol by people that should know better.

K.Wilhelm 12-16-2015 03:57 PM

These incidents continue to happen way too frequently. Also, if someone forgets to follow all the other rules of gun safety at least they should always remember never to point a firearm at something they don't want to destroy. Bill

lugerholsterrepair 12-16-2015 07:07 PM

Dick, The Houston Gun Collectors Association also does not allow the sale of ANY ammunition does it?

Dick Herman 12-16-2015 07:23 PM

There were many years that live ammo was not allowed at the HGCA shows. A few years ago the HGCA has allowed the sale of ammo at their shows. However, all new ammo must be in sealed containers and loose collectors ammo must be under glass. Unlike many shows, there are no loose or open rounds on any tables.

Mac Cat 12-16-2015 10:46 PM

SAXET (Yes, TEXAS spelled backwards) is our central Texas gun show host. I love the shows and I buy stuff there, but they are very careless in so many ways - ammo everywhere, too. But, even worse, unattended tables ! Vendors will walk off to visit or take a break and ask a neighbor to watch their table ?

But, like I said, I blame the city of Austin and Travis country, which stopped allowing guns shows in the county facility.

alanint 12-17-2015 09:47 AM

Simply walking a South Florida gun show will almost make you a gun control advocate.

Pistole+Parabellum 12-25-2015 05:14 PM

next show i'm going to i'm going to wear my vest!!! lol...