LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Erfurt Imperial Arsenal (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42109)

goodwrenchldj 03-04-2023 01:38 PM

Erfurt Imperial Arsenal

I am a new member who owns two Erfurt Lugers, but more on them later. My interest today is in their birthplace.
My wife and I will be in Berlin in September, 2023 and we are considering a visit to Erfurt. It is my understanding that the production machinery and equipment went to France as war reparations in 1919. Does anyone know anything about the history of the arsenal itself? Are the buildings still standing and what are they are used for today? Also, where are the records?
I have spent some time on the web seeking answers but have not been successful. Any help that you can provide will be appreciated. Have any of you been to Erfurt?

LU1900 03-04-2023 05:51 PM

I never ear that : "the production machinery and equipment went to France as war reparations in 1919"
Are you sure ?
Not to Simson & Co ?

ithacaartist 03-06-2023 04:05 AM

Simson, then Krieghoff.

John, maybe you're thinking of when the French produced some Lugers after they occupied the Mauser factory, WWII?

goodwrenchldj 04-10-2023 06:09 AM

Erfurt Imperial Arsenal

My thanks to all of you for your responses. I have no recollection of how the idea that the production machinery used at Erfurt went to France as war reparations. I stand corrected and educated.
Based on information in Luger – The Story of the World’s Most famous Handgun by John Walter I now realize that the production machinery was sold to Simpson & Company of Suhl around 1920. On page 203, this book advises that by 1935 this machinery was in the possession of Krieghoff.
Any additional information about what I am calling the Erfurt Imperial Arsenal, including what its “correct” name might be will be appreciated. My wife and I will visit Erfurt in September.

Doubs 04-10-2023 12:21 PM

The proper name, according to Gortz & Sturgess is "Erfurt Royal Prussian Rifle Factory" or "Royal Prussian Rifle Factory at Erfurt".

Edward Tinker 04-10-2023 01:14 PM

I do not think any buildings remain of the Luger making buildings, but I don't really know. I've meant to go there also, my great-grandfather left service in Erfurt area.

Deputywood 04-10-2023 02:44 PM

I was stationed in Berlin in 72 and 73. Of course I was not interested in Lugers at the time. Drinking beer and chasing skirt was more to my liking then. I fired a lot 75mm blanks as a member of C/94th FA and I once saw Hess at Spandau Prison.

Woody

Mac Cat 04-10-2023 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wikipedia has a page, but it only has a location and old photo.
No text or further details, except that is says "Abolished 1945"
Let us know what you find.

This is what the photo caption translates to.
The former Optima office machine factory in Erfurt: