LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Unit Markings (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   DWM Mystery Markings (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42073)

Javelinadave 02-01-2023 10:38 PM

DWM Mystery Markings

Any guesses what I have?
Marked S.W.II.306

Thanks!
Dave

Edward Tinker 02-01-2023 10:48 PM

yes police markings - pictures, full left, full right, full top, full front of frame

the II is throwing me off, but I'm a bit tired

Schutzpolizei Wiesbaden

Javelinadave 02-02-2023 01:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is what I have.

gunbugs 02-02-2023 04:07 PM

Isn't the II for the second district?

Edward Tinker 02-02-2023 06:07 PM

yes - but its kind of like - hey, when was 43xx r made - and the answer is 19xx

more information allows us to help you. Is it a Krieghoff or a DWM or a Simson or a Vickers?

Javelinadave 02-02-2023 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edward tinker (Post 346701)
yes - but its kind of like - hey, when was 43xx r made - and the answer is 19xx

more information allows us to help you. Is it a krieghoff or a dwm or a simson or a vickers?

dwm 1920

Edward Tinker 02-02-2023 10:33 PM

Ok - we have a FAQ in the new collector area - it might help you

DonVoigt 02-11-2023 11:18 AM

The District of Wiesbaden was comprised of 2 areas: Frankfurt = S.W.I. xxxx and Wiesbaden itself=
S.W.II. xxx.

Frankfurt is the much larger area/city and higher numbers are found than from the smaller Wiesbaden itself.

All to be found in Don Maus' fine work "History Writ in Steel".

The Wiesbaden area was occupied by the French and the stock lugs on lugers from Wiesbaden are often found with the stock lugs ground off; same as the state of Hesse.
This was a "requirement" imposed by the French during occupation, though not all pistols were actually "de-lugged".

Javelinadave 02-11-2023 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Tinker (Post 346704)
Ok - we have a FAQ in the new collector area - it might help you

Sorry to have bothered you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 346750)
The District of Weisbaden was comprised of 2 areas: Frankfurt = S.W.I. xxxx and Weisbaden itself=
S.W.II. xxx.

Frankfurt is the much larger area/city and higher numbers are found than from the smaller Weisbaden itself.

All to be found in Don Maus' fine work "History Writ in Steel".

The Weisbaden area was occupied by the French and the stock lugs on lugers from Weisbaden are often found with the stock lugs ground off; same as the state of Hesse.
This was a "requirement" imposed by the French during occupation, though not all pistols were actually "de-lugged".

Thank you! I appreciate your help. Mine still has the stock lugs.

spangy 02-17-2023 01:38 AM

[QUOTE=Javelinadave;346752]Sorry to have bothered you.

Totally uncalled for Javelinadave.

You have misinterpreted the intentions of one of the most helpful, knowledgeable members here at LF :nono:

Vlim 02-17-2023 11:07 AM

Good info. Except it is Wiesbaden.

Javelinadave 02-17-2023 11:59 PM

[QUOTE=spangy;346793]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Javelinadave (Post 346752)
Sorry to have bothered you.

Totally uncalled for Javelinadave.

You have misinterpreted the intentions of one of the most helpful, knowledgeable members here at LF :nono:

Not my intention so settle down. Internet posts lack inflection so two people reading the same post may walk away with two different interpretations.
I gave the info in the thread that somebody else helped me with with so I thanked him. I run several forums and always help new people out to the best of my ability, especially newbies. I want them to stay in the hobby instead of posting to use the search function or redirect them elsewhere. I’m sure Edward is a helpful guy so please don’t take my post as being rude. That was not my intention.

Mac Cat 02-18-2023 02:43 PM

@javelinadave: Almost an acceptable apology. You were still very rude to a moderator who volunteers a lot of time to keep this forum up and civil.

DonVoigt 02-22-2023 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlim (Post 346797)
Good info. Except it is Wiesbaden.

I sit corrected !:D

DonVoigt 02-22-2023 03:29 PM

Javelinadave
you're welcome.
I think Ed's comment was to help you find the FAQ if you were not aware of them; they really help get a background and significant basic info under your belt quickly.

One misses a lot with even a good answer to a very specific question. Should you have a continuing interest in police lugers, Don Maus' book is a must; as is Ed's own Police Luger book.