LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Unknown Luger - Seeking knowledge (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42008)

AMDO_Mark 12-05-2022 09:37 PM

Unknown Luger - Seeking knowledge

10 Attachment(s)
Greetings,

Thank you for having me. I come as a complete novice to Luger pistols seeking information on a family heirloom that belonged to my late Grandfather, a retired USN AOC type who likely picked subject pistol on one of many deployments.

Not knowing better, the engraved markings (alphanumeric characters spaced by periods) may indicate/identify unit markings... maybe a presentation piece modified pre WWII?

Enough speculation, just wanted to leave some pictures and ask if this pistol has identifying features you folks may be familiar with... thank you in advance!

// Updated 12/8/2022 - additional photos //

HerrKaiser 12-05-2022 10:17 PM

That is a unit mark and engraving is not original. It looks like it is a DWM pistol. But more pictures will be needed. See the forum FAQ for some other helpful information. The fact that it is a family heirloom should make it priceless as is for you. Welcome!

Best,

Mac Cat 12-05-2022 11:07 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Your Luger is interesting.

There isn't enough visible to help you identify it further.
You will need to provide high quality photos of the top, front, both sides at the very least to find out much more.

AMDO_Mark 12-06-2022 07:26 AM

Thank you all for your guidance. I'll grab some additional photos to help with determining. Any areas or internal parts of interest that would help if visible?

kkiley 12-06-2022 07:26 AM

Looks like 58th regiment 1st company 27 waffen machine gun company Kevin

AMDO_Mark 12-08-2022 09:47 AM

Added some additional photos to the original post above, hopefully these are helpful.

In the photos you'll see several numbers marked on the Pistol, curious as to what their significance may be?

- 917 (located topside, just before the barrel)

Additionally, there are what appears to be maybe a few other very small characters/markings?

Also, nothing that really looks like an Import Marking...

AMDO_Mark 12-08-2022 09:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Added a few extra showing what looks like some kind of character stamped on the trigger housing maybe?

AMDO_Mark 12-08-2022 10:51 AM

Can't believe I missed this, but in the photo of the top of the Pistol, if you look at the center portion just forward of the rear-sight, I think you can see Initials Engraved "DWM" in cursive script.

mrerick 12-08-2022 04:26 PM

Your Luger started out a 1917 military contract Luger manufactured by DWM in Berlin.

Take a look at our FAQ PDF document for reference information.

It is unit marked, as mentioned already. It's been refinished and heavily engraved. The oak leave pattern is often something seen with European engravers, but I am not experienced at recognizing specific engraver work.

Military contract pistols would have never left the factory this way, and this work including the replacement grips were all done well after it was manufactured. Some GIs hired skilled people to do this work after the war in Europe or after they returned to the USA.

These modifications generally eliminate most of the collector interest or value in a Luger since collectors most highly value an unmodified Luger as close as possible to the state it left the factory. That said, it's a priceless personal heirloom to you and your family.

I really can't read markings on the photos you've posted. Take pictures with a camera that can focus sharply and take them in natural shaded light without flash so that the finish is flatly illuminated. The serial number generally has a suffix letter visible under the numeric digits on the front of the frame above the trigger guard.

AMDO_Mark 12-08-2022 05:17 PM

I guess the question is, if members of the AEF brought this Pistol home and chose to have it engraved, why why why on earth would they have chosen to have "big ole" specific German unit markings engraved on the Pistol Grip?

Was it common for engravers to preserve the unit markings or did they "work over" these typically?

Ron Wood 12-08-2022 08:09 PM

Probably left the unit mark on for the same reason they didn't engrave over the date or the DWM...it was a mark already on the gun so they left it.

AMDO_Mark 12-09-2022 02:23 PM

Thank you all for the information, much appreciated!

Mac Cat 12-09-2022 03:36 PM

I don't know anything at all about engraved guns, but I would think the artist must have signed it somewhere. That might be interesting to pursue. It's fascinating art.

AMDO_Mark 12-13-2022 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On this image, does this resemble a crown or some kind of character that you folks are familiar with? Was wondering if this was something done separate from the engraving, or if it was likely a coincidence and just part of it. Looking on the right side of the frame...

wlyon 12-14-2022 12:58 AM

Those are the original German proof marks. They were there when the original luger left the factory

Eugen 01-14-2023 11:54 PM

Fascinating family heirloom. I rarely see an engraved Luger.