LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Commercial Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Luger of Unknown Origin (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41199)

Hotajax 06-17-2021 10:15 AM

Luger of Unknown Origin

There's a 4-digit serial number on the barrel where the barrel threads into frame. On the frame there's a 5-digit number just below where the barrel joins the frame. These two numbers do not match, not even close.

There's a 2-digit number just above the trigger guard on the left side of the frame, on the takedown lever. This 2-digit number above the trigger guard is the same as the last two digits of the serial number on the frame.

There's a 2-digit number just below the rear sight. This 2-digit number is the same as the last 2 digits of the barrel number.

It's not in such great shape, missing a lot of blue. With the non-matching numbers of the barrel and frame, is this gun worth checking out further? My gut tells me it's a closet queen.

DWM, made in Germany, and a few stampings of a capital N with a crown above the N. Thanks for any pointers, I prefer not to post pics as a precaution.

Mac Cat 06-17-2021 12:01 PM

Why are you afraid to post photos ?

Doubs 06-17-2021 12:09 PM

Without pictures no one can tell you much more than it's a parts gun made from at least two different Lugers. The 5 digit serial number frame was made no later than 1921 and the upper may or may not be from a commercial Luger depending upon location of the Crown/N stamps.

Only pictures will allow us to give you good answers.

ithacaartist 06-18-2021 01:53 PM

Similar to phobia about showing serial numbers... No real-world implications or risk that I can think of...

Hotajax 06-18-2021 02:46 PM

Dead on The Money

I have a phobia for showing s/n's on the net. The young gent said it best - a parts gun. No major collector value.

Hotajax 06-18-2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac Cat (Post 339667)
Why are you afraid to post photos ?

"Afraid" is sort of overdone. Let's call it cautious.

Hotajax 06-18-2021 02:51 PM

xx

lugerholsterrepair 06-18-2021 03:14 PM

FEAR is a DISABLER. But if it's not your pistol you must respect the owners wishes. If it's your pistol you have gotten most of the info you are likely to get without photo's.

Doubs 06-18-2021 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotajax (Post 339703)
The young gent said it best - a parts gun.

Thank you, Sir. I appreciate being called a "young gent" even though the picture was taken in 1967. :cheers:

Hotajax 06-18-2021 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubs (Post 339709)
Thank you, Sir. I appreciate being called a "young gent" even though the picture was taken in 1967. :cheers:

Doubs, you should be proud. You looked young enough to be challenged over your age if you try to get in to the on-base club. I appreciate your honesty in calling it a "parts" gun. I'm guessing that on a Luger, the frame, toggle, and barrel should all have matching numbers. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.

Hotajax 06-18-2021 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 339708)
FEAR is a DISABLER. But if it's not your pistol you must respect the owners wishes. If it's your pistol you have gotten most of the info you are likely to get without photo's.

Jerry, I completely understand. Thanks for your forthrightness. As to why I don't want to post pics, ownership is not the issue. And enjoy the MLB All-Star game.

lugerholsterrepair 06-18-2021 05:48 PM

And enjoy the MLB All-Star game. Sorry but all the "woke" sports are dead to me. I threw out my TV over ten years ago. Now I have a LOT of spare time to play with my 4 cats.

Doubs 06-18-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotajax (Post 339710)
Doubs, you should be proud. You looked young enough to be challenged over your age if you try to get in to the on-base club. I appreciate your honesty in calling it a "parts" gun. I'm guessing that on a Luger, the frame, toggle, and barrel should all have matching numbers. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.

I was 24 when that was taken and married not long after. Still married to the same woman after nearly 54 years.

As the Luger left the factory, it would have had all matching numbers. At some point in time, yours was repaired or put together using parts from different guns. The goal was a working Luger and regardless of different numbered parts, if it works correctly it's a useful tool for the owner. Collectors will consider yours a "shooter" and place a lower value on it than one with all matching numbers. But, it's still a Luger.

JTD 06-20-2021 09:18 PM

I sure hope they do not eat Hummingbirds Jerry!!!! You should count them daily to make sure none are missing:D

lugerholsterrepair 06-20-2021 09:57 PM

John, They sure would if they could! Our 4 are house cats...we don't let em loose on the ranch. They would kill lots of things and lots of things would kill them. So it's best to confine them to quarters. It's a harsh life in the high mountains of Colorado. No sense letting 4 trained killers loose too.

2 years ago I saw a mountain lion take a full grown doe not far from my East porch. All sorts of various critturs in the food chain. But yeah I count em every day, still got 4. OH! You may mean hummers..Too busy filling feeders to count em. 650 pounds of sugar I have to come up with every summer. 12 quart feeders we fill twice a day at the height of the season. Keeps us hoppin.

lugerholsterrepair 06-21-2021 09:18 PM

I LOVE cats! They taste like chicken...

STEINBVG 06-21-2021 09:27 PM

This thread becomes more and more surreal…

lugerholsterrepair 06-21-2021 09:34 PM

Well, We have to do something waiting for pictures from the OP.

STEINBVG 06-21-2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 339792)
Well, We have to do something waiting for pictures from the OP.

Let’s hijack the thread and post our own…:D

jeb111 06-21-2021 11:14 PM

Jerry your not afraid of attracting bears with all that sugar water? In my neck of the Rockies the Grizzlies would be having a jamboree. I know it's off topic but while we wait the neighbor spotted a lion the other week and told me he was concerned for the neighbor children, I said the kids would be okay but the other neighbor has a bunch of goats that the cat was far more interested in I'm sure. No pics yet?
Jim