LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Artillery Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   "Commercial Artillery"? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=34345)

Zorba 05-18-2015 02:44 PM

"Commercial Artillery"?

Was at my LGS/Range yesterday, and they had a "Commercial Artillery" in their case. It was a 1916 DWM with a long artillery bbl, maybe 10 or 12 inches, plus two extra bbls, an 8 inch and a 4 inch. Had a cleaning rod, an original looking stock, a couple of holsters, three books ("Imperial Lugers", "Lugers at Random", "Luger Tips"). There was supposedly a box of period ammo, but I couldn't see it in the "pile". All this in a nice glass topped display case. $4,995.

To my uneducated eye, it looked pretty original and unmolested - I should have taken a picture, I will if its still there next time I go.

Were Artillery models sold commercially?

DavidJayUden 05-18-2015 03:07 PM

If it was a 1916 dated DWM, then my guess is that it was a military gun that was converted to "commercial" and sold on the civilian market. All the "stuff" sounds great, but in the end you end up with "stuff", and most likely not worth the asking price. And you know the drill, photos may help. I'm curious if the upper was notched for an artillery sight and if it had a rear sight on the toggle.
dju

sheepherder 05-18-2015 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zormpas (Post 271609)
Was at my LGS/Range yesterday, and they had a "Commercial Artillery" in their case. It was a 1916 DWM with a long artillery bbl, maybe 10 or 12 inches, plus two extra bbls, an 8 inch and a 4 inch...

Zorba, did any of the barrels have an artillery rear sight mounted on the barrel???

Datig & Jones both show long barrel Lugers (longer than the artillery eight inch) and some had 'artillery' barrel mounted sights and some did not...

I didn't add up the 'stuff' separately but the price seems way out of line... :rolleyes:

Diver6106 05-18-2015 07:32 PM

Getting a set of barrels is only good, IF they are easily interchangable. And Lugers are not!

sheepherder 05-18-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver6106 (Post 271625)
Getting a set of barrels is only good, IF they are easily interchangable. And Lugers are not!

Really??? Takes me about 10 minutes to swap a barrel on a Luger... :confused:

I guess you mean at the range. Yeah, the barrel vise and receiver wrench are a PITA to lug around... :D

CAP Black 05-18-2015 10:18 PM

I really don't see the items as not being justified as to price, Three (matching) barrels, stock, holsters, etc. Eugene has a waiting list for re-manufactured pistols into carbines - with one barrel - for the biggest part of that amount.
I don't get it.
Thanks
Jaxk

Sergio Natali 05-19-2015 07:03 AM

Just one word, "commercial / artillery" sounds a bit amusing to me, how can a "commercial" still be called "artillery" :)

Sergio

sheepherder 05-19-2015 08:02 AM

I come up with a total of under $2K. As follows -

DWM w/10-12 in bbl = $850
2 extra bbls = $400
stock + 'couple of' holsters = $375
3 books = $250
case = $100

total = $1975

Having a long barrel makes it a shooter. Nothing I read here says 'matched barrels'. For my pricing, I chose to err on the high side.

Just my own little $.02. :rolleyes:

Zorba 05-19-2015 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepherder (Post 271614)
Zorba, did any of the barrels have an artillery rear sight mounted on the barrel???

Yes, the longest bbl, which was on the gun, had a rear sight on it. Not sure about the other two, they were mostly underneath "stuff" in the display case.

DavidJayUden 05-19-2015 03:30 PM

Well it sounds like an interesting pile of stuff that would appeal primarily to collectors. Maybe you could persuade the LGS to photo it all and post it here, that is assuming that you're are not going after it.
dju

Zorba 05-19-2015 05:45 PM

I'll see if the LGS will let me take some pix next time I'm in - I'll throw my SLR in the car just in case! :)

danielsand 05-19-2015 06:42 PM

"Artillery Lugers" and "Luger Carbines" were most certainly sold as "commercial" (civilian) pistols.

Bare in mind that the term "Artillery" was (mostly) American moniker (because it was issued primarily to artillery units), but in reality the pistols were called "Lange Pistole 08", and as such were sold to civilian market. They were EXPENSIVE for the time, and MANY land owners/industrialists/nobility purchased them.

My mother brought one as a trophy from the war, and this type of Luger was commonly called "The Stork" (as my mom called it) in the Balkans. I guess the long barrel resembled dis-proportionally long legs on the bird.

Sergio Natali 05-20-2015 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielsand (Post 271704)
"Artillery Lugers" and "Luger Carbines" were most certainly sold as "commercial" (civilian) pistols.

Bare in mind that the term "Artillery" was (mostly) American moniker (because it was issued primarily to artillery units), but in reality the pistols were called "Lange Pistole 08", and as such were sold to civilian market. They were EXPENSIVE for the time, and MANY land owners/industrialists/nobility purchased them.

My mother brought one as a trophy from the war, and this type of Luger was commonly called "The Stork" (as my mom called it) in the Balkans. I guess the long barrel resembled dis-proportionally long legs on the bird.

Danel

You're absolutely right, in fact the original name was "Lange Pistole 08" mine was a bit of an ironic remark.

Sergio

DavidJayUden 05-20-2015 08:34 AM

But given that the gun in question bears a 1916 chamber date, it seems to me that this particular Luger was a military gun converted by persons unknown for the civilian market.
Are we in agreement there?
dju

sheepherder 05-20-2015 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidJayUden (Post 271730)
But given that the gun in question bears a 1916 chamber date, it seems to me that this particular Luger was a military gun converted by persons unknown for the civilian market.
Are we in agreement there?
dju

Could also be that it is shown in the three books. Maybe a popular conversion following WW I.

A pawn shop seems an unlikely place to find a cache like this. Perhaps an attic trunk find by some granddaughter??? :confused:

cirelaw 05-20-2015 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found an article that addresses some of these issues including the different barrels~http://www.lugerlp08.com/the%20artil...%20article.htm and decided to line them up!

Sergio Natali 05-20-2015 11:57 AM

Eric

You've found another interesting article I think from Mauro Baudino, something else worth reading as there is always something to learn.

Sergio

cirelaw 05-20-2015 12:55 PM

Sergio, You are my inspiration~ I really like and need input instead to know what in particular what interests you all or others find interesting! I have learned so much from proofing each topic. As always TKS Eric

Zorba 05-20-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepherder;271731A
pawn shop seems an unlikely place to find a cache like this...

Not a pawn shop; again, a LGS. Supposedly a "local collector" put it in on consignment.

ithacaartist 05-21-2015 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zormpas (Post 271759)
Not a pawn shop; again, a LGS. Supposedly a "local collector" put it in on consignment.

Collector of what? $!