LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Shooting and Reloading (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Shooter vs collector (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=36945)

Kwalityguy 04-06-2017 11:05 PM

Shooter vs collector

I just bought my first 1936 Luger for $1600 (actually $2000 including a 1937 K98). The Luger is all matching except the mag. Looks very clean. Grips show no signs of wear. No dents, dings, nothing. The previous owner had it for the last 20 years and claims to have never fired it.

How do I know if this is a shooter or collector? I don't like safe queens but don't want to be stupid either.

wayne8661 04-06-2017 11:11 PM

Pictures would be helpful with your query!

mrerick 04-07-2017 09:55 AM

Start with our FAQ.

Collectible Lugers are as close to original factory state as possible.

Mixed parts, refinishing, import marking all might reduce value and also relegate it to a shooter.

Things are a bit more flexible with more rare variations, but the ideal is still as close to factory state as possible.

Edward Tinker 04-07-2017 10:27 AM

you paid $1600 - that is a lot of money to some folks - shooter is usually $700-$900 - so you paid approximately twice what a shooter costs

you are the only one who knows if you overspent or bought a collectible and plan on shooting it. Damaging one numbered part degrades the collectability very much - major part like the breechblock and you're talking 40-50% hit...

DavidJayUden 04-07-2017 10:29 AM

A tough question. IMHO a collector or a shooter is a very relative term, based on variables such as geographical location, personal finances, availability of Lugers, laws governing the ownership of handguns, etc, etc, etc.
Some persons on this forum define a collector in very narrow terms, everything else being a shooter. Others, less sophisticated, less demanding, less well financed, or shooters by nature might consider a collector grade gun much more broadly, such as having original finish, matching except mag, etc.
So, again IMHO, there is no answer to your question other than what do YOU think is collectible.
dju

DonVoigt 04-07-2017 12:56 PM

I'm Both, and proud of each one- they are all different for sure- even if it is just the serial number or suffix! ;)

Kwalityguy 04-08-2017 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic

Kwalityguy 04-08-2017 07:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Other side

Vlim 04-08-2017 07:53 AM

Hi, it's a nice restoration, reblued and buffed slightly before the reblueing. So that would place it in the 'shooter grade' category and you have paid a high price for it.

That said: Collections and the nature and basis of collections very: Some collect quality items which are all correct, others, like myself, collect representative examples for research purposes. So I will pick up guns that will not be considered 'true collecting material' at times, because the guns have properties that attract my attention in one way or another. Sometimes, guns in original condition are impossible to find and/or too expensive to be within reach, and one can settle for a less perfect, but still representative example for research/analysis/testing purposes.

To complicate matters further, there are R&D pistols that have been R&D'd considerably and then some. These guns, coming from gun company departments are absolutely collectable, but usually look like a train drove over them a few times. It goes with the territory, and I will never pass up on an original company R&D gun in any condition.

Anyway, it's not a black and white situation, there are numerous shades of grey in between.

SteveM 04-08-2017 08:13 AM

If that is the 1936 I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it appears to be a refinish. Telltale signs, it should be rust blued and some of the sharp edges are not sharp anymore. The proof marks look to be washed out as well. Nice shooter though, I wouldn't kick it out of the safe.

kurusu 04-08-2017 12:49 PM

That gun is definitely in the "shooter" category.

rhuff 04-08-2017 02:54 PM

That Luger is a shooter category gun, but a very handsome shooter!!! I would be proud to own and enjoy it.

cirelaw 04-08-2017 03:45 PM

Don't worry my three wives weren't virgins either!

Puretexan 06-01-2017 02:02 PM

Come to think of it Cirelaw neither of my three were either.
I do still love my reblued Luger just as much.

Sky Zero 06-01-2017 03:58 PM

It has been refinished so it's definitely in the shooter category, as the other users here have stated. Shoot it shoot it shoot it!

stg44fan 06-01-2017 04:22 PM

Looks good! Shoot it!

Ron Wood 06-01-2017 05:59 PM

You paid a bit of a stiff price, but you got a darned fine looking shooter that will be the envy of the range. Enjoy the bejeebers out of it!
Ron

Sergio Natali 06-02-2017 02:20 PM

You've got a nice Luger to learn from, so now go to the range and crank it out!

4 Scale 06-02-2017 02:54 PM

That is a nice shooter. Some people buy all matching but rough finish guns with intent to restore. So with that in mind, I think it could be argued that the price paid for this one was not unreasonable given its finish.

I have to admit that I find the question of shooter cost tricky, especially if matching with better cosmetics like the pistol in this thread. I would like another Mauser shooter, '37 military or later, 'nice' cosmetics, and have a target max price of $1,100 or so. If my time is worth minimum wage, and if "time is money", I would be better off paying a dealer $1,500 -$2,000 for a collectible, swapping some parts and shooting it. While I enjoy the hunt, I sometimes wonder if shooter searching is rational.

DonVoigt 06-02-2017 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4 Scale (Post 303699)
That is a nice shooter. Some people buy all matching but rough finish guns with intent to restore. So with that in mind, I think it could be argued that the price paid for this one was not unreasonable given its finish.

I have to admit that I find the question shooter cost tricky, especially if matching with better cosmetics like the pistol in this thread. I would like another Mauser shooter, '37 military or later, 'nice' cosmetics, and have a target max price of $1,100 or so. If my time is worth minimum wage, and if "time is money", I would be better off paying a dealer $1,500 -$2,000 for a collectible, swapping some parts and shooting it. While I enjoy the hunt, I sometimes wonder if shooter searching is rational.

No it is not really "rational", but then neither is building one and selling it.:evilgrin:

One can always "hope" a deal will fall into your range box.:thumbup: