LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Where is the end? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41847)

gunbugs 07-09-2022 06:47 PM

Where is the end?

1 Attachment(s)
It started with a goal of one each from the 1934 through 1942 Mauser made guns. But.......It seems I'm on a 'slippery slope". Where/when to stop? Tough question to answer....

https://forum.lugerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1657406806

gunnertwo 07-09-2022 07:09 PM

Don't stop! Passion in life makes life worthwhile. I'm short three years to make my WW2 run complete. Great pic, thanks for the "Bring & Brag.

G2

tharpo 07-09-2022 08:47 PM

Love it! That is why this hobby is so much fun!

Mac Cat 07-09-2022 09:02 PM

What a nice collection !

I don't have nearly that many, but it's been a challenge just to list them in my spreadsheet and then document each one with details and photos. I finally memorized the serial numbers for each one. That might be my logical limit.

I wanted a good example of each toggle stamp and different barrel lengths.

Now I'm shopping for a new gun safe !

gunbugs 07-09-2022 10:25 PM

I needed to pull them all out and check them against my inventory list. I added 3 that had slipped by without being entered. A good opportunity to wipe them down and re-familiarize myself with what I have. Next... The S&W N frames.....

jeb111 07-10-2022 08:44 AM

Yes, don’t stop. That is a very impressive collection! I get it though I started with a 37 Mauser then thought I should have a WW1 representative, well then an Arty and then an Erfurt and so you know the rest of the story. A dozen Lugers later and I still don’t know were to stop, tharpo is right that’s why this hobby is so much fun. Thanks for showing your collection.
Jim

Mac Cat 07-10-2022 12:37 PM

If you had to sell one of them, which one would it be ?

Batty67 07-11-2022 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbugs (Post 344857)
It started with a goal of one each from the 1934 through 1942 Mauser made guns.

Same. Here, and I've got 35, 36, 37 (first variation), 41 and 42. And each will be fully rigged too. I think this wtill take about another 4-5 years and I'll go from there.

mrerick 07-11-2022 08:21 AM

I have found that as Lugers "in the wild" have become more rare, and my tastes have expanded, I've become more opportunistic and ended up with some gems that are outside my initial collection focus. In particular, I've acquired some rather rare police variations.

G.T. 07-11-2022 11:27 AM

goal

Looks to me that you are about halfway there... :thumbup:... best, til...lat'r....GT :cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbugs (Post 344857)
It started with a goal of one each from the 1934 through 1942 Mauser made guns. But.......It seems I'm on a 'slippery slope". Where/when to stop? Tough question to answer....

https://forum.lugerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1657406806

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeb111 (Post 344865)
Yes, don’t stop. That is a very impressive collection! I get it though I started with a 37 Mauser then thought I should have a WW1 representative, well then an Arty and then an Erfurt and so you know the rest of the story. A dozen Lugers later and I still don’t know were to stop, tharpo is right that’s why this hobby is so much fun. Thanks for showing your collection.
Jim

Ron Wood 07-11-2022 12:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It ends when you realize that it is time to stop adding and start getting rid of stuff so that your family won't have to figure out what to do with it. Up until then it is a real joy.

Pistol 07-11-2022 04:19 PM

Outstanding

Good-Day 07-11-2022 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was going to try and say something profound

But lost track of my thoughts

:)

Thanks for sharing

Beautiful Collections

Edward Tinker 07-12-2022 12:19 AM

Very, very nice!
I have found that my collector 'focus' always waivers, but I've gone through several focus', now doing police and Simson. My 'extra' stuff, besides some ammo from the period is fairly 'open'.

Ron, very amazing!

HerrKaiser 07-12-2022 07:11 AM

I’m only just beginning at age 26 but seeing all your collections always motivates me to get a similarly nice sized one for myself before my expiration date on this earth. The best part about collecting is that your goals can always expand after you’ve reached your current one.

Like Ed said, your collection focuses change too. I’m currently very much on a kick for 60’s and prior Smith (and Colt?) revolvers, even though my Luger collecting still occupies center stage.

spangy 07-12-2022 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wood (Post 344873)
It ends when you realize that it is time to stop adding and start getting rid of stuff so that your family won't have to figure out what to do with it. Up until then it is a real joy.

As I read this thread I had a thought that it is similar to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting :roflmao:

So here is my "Luger's Anonymous" contribution. :thumbup:

I loved Ron's post as it mirrors my own situation ... I have been thinking more and more lately of my own mortality and what is going to happen to my beloved collection of Luger's. This subject has been discussed in a few threads.

I also loved Good-Day's post ... particularly the 'Dory' meme ... I laughed so hard because it's so true :roflmao:

Common to this thread is how we ALL LOVE our Luger's, they are definitely addictive and although my collection is small in comparison to some of the magnificent collections here my enthusiasm is as rabid as yours.

Fantastic collection gunbugs, keep em coming. :bowdown:

It is virtually impossible to stop @ one Luger ... as Ron says 'Up until then it is a real joy.' :thumbup:

jeb111 07-12-2022 10:18 AM

To add to the conversation the more my collection grows the more discerning I become, hold out for better condition pistols, taking into account the variation and my wallet. But something I may have jumped at in the past I will tell myself to be patient because there are better examples out there.
Jim

Good-Day 07-14-2022 08:06 PM

Suppose back to the original question
When to stop?

Can you?
Can any of us?

I do not specifically collect Lugers
I have a love for Surplus primarily WW1 and 2
( Lugers are beautiful and dag gum so are 1911's )
But it doesn’t stop there

When I roll into my local Shops and they ask what i'm looking for my typical answer is " Something else I don’t need"

Something sparkly and pretty shows up and there it is in my hands and out the door

Go with your passion
Don’t be held back by it
Or the one you said that’s cool but not for me will one day be on your list of Could Woulda Shoulda picked that one up

This is not the only Forum a haunt probably because of my varying taste but I love all of your passion positive and negative at times

Thank You

ithacaartist 07-15-2022 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Good-Day (Post 344935)

Can you?
Can any of us?

LOL! Now that I think of it, Eugene's sale price for a .45 Luger is mighty tempting!

cirelaw 07-15-2022 08:38 PM

Debby would shot me!!!