LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Shooting and Reloading (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   What I know about Mec-Gar mags! (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=40440)

G.T. 06-20-2020 05:41 PM

What I know about Mec-Gar mags!

Hi to all! just got to thinking, there are a considerable number of Mec-Gar magazines out in the field, and my recollection of their performance and durability has always been, not as good as an original, but close?
Well, the evolution of the magazine has something to do with how I now feel about the magazines? Initially I first came in contact with Mec-Gar Luger mags that were an industrial chrome or nickel finish, and a black plastic bottom. The mags were well made, terribly sprung, and had a killing design flaw in that the follower guide relief channel running vertical on the follower slot side, was a bit shy of reaching the slot, which in turn, allowed the coil spring to plunge forwards into the front of the mag tube, stopping all!!!!! These are still around, although seldom seen or used for that issue alone, much less the nasty strong spring...
The next evolution corrected this problem, and now you find the proper bit of flat surface on the back edge of the slot, reinforcing both the vertical relief, and the rear edge of the slot. The magazine shells came in blue or nickel and were heat treated which instantly made it theoretically better than any previous Luger mag ever made. The issues with this generation of mag were plenty, and consisted of, plastic bottoms blowing out, spring taking a set, and worst of all, the metal follower would occasionally gall the interior sheet metal and cause malfunctions, not unlike original mags that suffered the same... I had great success repairing and up grading these mags until.... Tah Dah.... The latest Mec-Gar magazine produced... Still had the heat treated magazine shell, but here is where the similarity to the old mags ended! The follower is a nylon reinforced plastic, tougher than all hell... Mag bottom same stuff.. No galling and no breaking, the mags are nearly indestructible! They are easily recognized by the ring stepped follower button, not the checkered button of earlier units. Shooters love them, collectors hate them... :eek:... They even improved the spring to where I feel my GTHQ may be only marginally better, probably not going to live long enough to find out!!?? :jumper:... So, next time you get a Mec-Gar mag in hand, you will have a whole new perspective with which to view them... best to all, til....lat'r....GT.....:thumbup:

Doubs 06-20-2020 06:54 PM

Nice write up GT. All I ever use in my shooter Lugers are Mec-Gar mags and I've never had a problem with any of them Last ones I bought came from CDNN who had them for $20 each and that was only a few months ago. Their prices have since gone up.

It's my understanding that Mec-Gar makes OEM magazines for many different gun manufacturers so it stands to reason that they'd want to "get it right". I appreciate a company that recognizes a problem and then fixes it.

rhuff 06-21-2020 03:23 PM

Thanx for the informative write-up. I looked through my Luger mags, and find that I have a few from each generation. A number of my mags GT has upgraded with his springs, bases, etc. At this point, I believe that all of my Mec-Gar mags are functional in MY Lugers.

Edward Tinker 06-21-2020 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhuff (Post 332102)
Thanx for the informative write-up. I looked through my Luger mags, and find that I have a few from each generation. A number of my mags GT has upgraded with his springs, bases, etc. At this point, I believe that all of my Mec-Gar mags are functional in MY Lugers.

I would imagine I am in the same boat - will have to look

Thanks GT for the nice write up

Sonofeugene 06-26-2020 02:47 PM

All my MecGar mags work.

David_O 06-26-2020 05:16 PM

GT. I always pushed and used the MerGAR when i shoot my Lugers have not purchased any for sometime. Will see. David_O

Sergio Natali 06-27-2020 12:29 PM

GT thanks for the interesting writing.

All the times that in the past I took a Luger at the range I've always used a MEC-GAR magazine but I never had issues.

shadow 05-21-2021 06:50 PM

Thanks for the info. I just bought one.

STEINBVG 05-21-2021 07:57 PM

Thanks GT.
i check all my magazines for smoothness of follower travel by using something long and not metallic like a chopstick to push the follower in all the way noticing if there any kinks or hesitation both ways.
Moving it down with the button seems to offset the vector of forces and doesn,t mimic what the rounds do to the follower + the button seems to create more friction this way giving a false reading.

I find Mec Gar to be extremely well made, I only have one, seemingly the last generation.
I,m a big fan of nylon as a strategic material. There are so many versions of it impregnated with additives of different qualities: lubricants, reinforcement etc.
if I,m not mistaking Glock like pistol frames are based in glass fiber filled nylon?

STEINBVG 05-25-2021 10:02 AM

2 Mec Gar magazines

I got a second Mec Gar magazine and it loos different from my 1t.
The 1 one seems exactly like GT described gen 3, smooth shiny black shell with Made in Italy on it, Nylon follower and floor, Target like button.
The second magazine came with dull black shell, no Made in Italy, Plastic bottom and aluminum follower. Checkered button.
It seems to fit nicer though in my Interarms Luger[ I had to widen the 1t one at the area of the catch ]
It seems to function well.

I wonder what generation this one, i hope it's no one of those poorly designed early ones.
I will post the pics later today.

grantman 05-28-2021 02:04 AM

Your Mec-gar mags

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.T. (Post 332087)
Hi to all! just got to thinking, there are a considerable number of Mec-Gar magazines out in the field, and my recollection of their performance and durability has always been, not as good as an original, but close?
Well, the evolution of the magazine has something to do with how I now feel about the magazines? Initially I first came in contact with Mec-Gar Luger mags that were an industrial chrome or nickel finish, and a black plastic bottom. The mags were well made, terribly sprung, and had a killing design flaw in that the follower guide relief channel running vertical on the follower slot side, was a bit shy of reaching the slot, which in turn, allowed the coil spring to plunge forwards into the front of the mag tube, stopping all!!!!! These are still around, although seldom seen or used for that issue alone, much less the nasty strong spring...
The next evolution corrected this problem, and now you find the proper bit of flat surface on the back edge of the slot, reinforcing both the vertical relief, and the rear edge of the slot. The magazine shells came in blue or nickel and were heat treated which instantly made it theoretically better than any previous Luger mag ever made. The issues with this generation of mag were plenty, and consisted of, plastic bottoms blowing out, spring taking a set, and worst of all, the metal follower would occasionally gall the interior sheet metal and cause malfunctions, not unlike original mags that suffered the same... I had great success repairing and up grading these mags until.... Tah Dah.... The latest Mec-Gar magazine produced... Still had the heat treated magazine shell, but here is where the similarity to the old mags ended! The follower is a nylon reinforced plastic, tougher than all hell... Mag bottom same stuff.. No galling and no breaking, the mags are nearly indestructible! They are easily recognized by the ring stepped follower button, not the checkered button of earlier units. Shooters love them, collectors hate them... :eek:... They even improved the spring to where I feel my GTHQ may be only marginally better, probably not going to live long enough to find out!!?? :jumper:... So, next time you get a Mec-Gar mag in hand, you will have a whole new perspective with which to view them... best to all, til....lat'r....GT.....:thumbup:

G.T. Your Mags are Tops....each of the four you have provided have worked flawlessly. I would imagine the heart of the matter is the heat-treated magazine body. Your alterations are very sanitary and now all of my Weimar period P-08s sport your mags. keep up the good work!

STEINBVG 05-28-2021 05:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by STEINBVG (Post 339151)
I got a second Mec Gar magazine and it loos different from my 1t.
The 1 one seems exactly like GT described gen 3, smooth shiny black shell with Made in Italy on it, Nylon follower and floor, Target like button.
The second magazine came with dull black shell, no Made in Italy, Plastic bottom and aluminum follower. Checkered button.
It seems to fit nicer though in my Interarms Luger[ I had to widen the 1t one at the area of the catch ]
It seems to function well.

I wonder what generation this one, i hope it's no one of those poorly designed early ones.
I will post the pics later today.

Here are the 2 Mec Gars. Is the dull one older generation?

Vlim 05-28-2021 08:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Anyone come across Interarms marked MecGars?

I have one with a Mauser style banner with Interarms on the spine. Never seen another one.

shadow 06-26-2021 05:11 PM

Thanks G.T.! I can not thank you enough for starting this thread! I tried my new Mec-Gar luger magazine today and bought a second one as soon as I got home.

I just put half a box (50 rounds) of 115gr white box Winchester through my luger without a single hiccup. My luger performed flawlessly. The other thing I noticed is that my ejected brass isn’t damaged anymore. In the past the spent brass usually had a big ding near the opening.

Thanks again!! :cheers:

Kiwi 12-18-2023 08:26 AM

6 left for $40 each
https://www.cdnnsports.com/luger-p08...ne-mecgar.html

I got mine from CDNN a couple of years ago - all good

BETTER deal $33 and 21 available

https://www.opticsplanet.com/mec-gar...-magazine.html

DTR04 12-18-2023 01:24 PM

Better deal at Greg Cote. Appear to be in stock.

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/luger-m...gazines-c-128/

Mac Cat 12-18-2023 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
MEC-GAR also sells direct from their web site
Blue $44 (out of stock today)
Nickel $49

I also found another odd 3rd party brand called MAGLUG, but the magazine appears to be a late model unmarked MEC-GAR magazine!? Strange, but it was $30 at a local gun store.

velodog455~ 12-19-2023 09:32 AM

As of this writing, MecGar P.08 blued magazines are available on Ebay from several vendors for $32.17 w/free shipping. Nickel mags are a couple of dollars more.
-Bob