LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Artillery Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   A 1915 I'm going to purchase (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=40877)

Spanner 01-29-2021 04:20 PM

A 1915 I'm going to purchase

9 Attachment(s)
A family member had me come over to roughly evaluate a bunch of guns, rifles and pistols as they have absolutely no knowledge of any firearms. I knew there were a bunch of lugers that I wasn't in the market right now to buy. That was until I saw the artillery. It was a OHHHH then danggg moment when I started looking at all the matching numbers and then noticed the ground off lug. Also stamped GERMANY. But I like it for shooting and will buy it. We're both uncomfortable with this as I would never tell someone what the value is of something I want to buy and she has a hard time even taking money from me. So what would a rough friend value? Thank you for you time. I will probably show her the answers if that is okay here?

DonVoigt 01-29-2021 04:41 PM

$1600

sheepherder 01-29-2021 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 336599)
$1600

Disagree, but that's purely my preferences. I insist on a stock lug; and I would not buy an artillery w/fine-tune sights. It's too difficult to loosen them without buggering them up, even with the 'right' tools.

I'd say $1200 would be high-end for this one. And it'd still be just a shooter. $.02... :rolleyes:

Fla.Mallard 01-29-2021 05:59 PM

I've got the same thing .. almost. Mine is a 1917 mismatch combo of 2 pistols plus a ground-off lug. I'd guess mine at ~$900 tops. Yours about $1300-1500.

Doubs 01-29-2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 336599)
$1600

Don is in the right ballpark IMO. I think $1500 ~ $1600 is reasonable IF the bore is excellent. If you want to shoot it with a stock, use a different lower.

DonVoigt 01-29-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepherder (Post 336606)
Disagree, but that's purely my preferences. I insist on a stock lug; and I would not buy an artillery w/fine-tune sights. It's too difficult to loosen them without buggering them up, even with the 'right' tools.

I'd say $1200 would be high-end for this one. And it'd still be just a shooter. $.02... :rolleyes:

Come on Rich, it is an Opinion!
You can have yours too. :evilgrin:

As to the fine tune sights, well- one can't even loosen the fixed sights at all- so I don't see that as any kind of a real reason to buy or not buy a shooting luger!:p

Mac Cat 01-29-2021 09:13 PM

Just buy it !
It's 105 years old.

I think $1500 would be fair.
There is a very good chance it will still work and shouldn't be hard to repair, if not.

Don't use the original magazine - get an aftermarket mag for about $35 (Meg-Gar).

sheepherder 01-29-2021 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 336611)
As to the fine tune sights,...I don't see that as any kind of a real reason to buy or not buy a shooting luger!:p

My opinion - If it has them, they should work. If they do, well and good. The real deal breaker here is the missing lug. ;)

Maybe I've gotten jaded in my old age. It's easy for me (and you) to 'make' an artillery shooter. No need to settle for a damaged one. :thumbup:

gunbugs 01-29-2021 09:54 PM

You could have the lug restored. Extra money and all that, but it wouldn't be any worse off than it is now. I'd give about 1200.00 for it with that in mind.

Spanner 01-29-2021 10:20 PM

Thanks all for the input. This morning when discussing it, I told her it could be $800 but more like $1200 - $1800, I wasn't sure but but I could make a low ball offer of a $1000. I'm glad I ballparked that pretty close.

I have a Meg gar magazine I use with my Simson (which has the original + mag) but I have the sudden urge for a drum.

lugerholsterrepair 01-29-2021 11:36 PM

Numrich probably still sells drums...They are fine tuned by GT a Member here and will likely work. I have bought several over the years. An original will cost you a lot more than your Artillery did!

DonVoigt 01-31-2021 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 336620)
Numrich probably still sells drums...They are fine tuned by GT a Member here and will likely work. I have bought several over the years. An original will cost you a lot more than your Artillery did!

Yes, GT is steadily working on drums for Numrich.
MY guess is he may average 30 a month, so if Numrich will accept a backorder- that would be the way to get in line for one!:cheers:

sheepherder 01-31-2021 10:47 AM

Spanner, whenever examining an artillery Luger, it's important to check the rear sight. It's common for the 'ladder' to have chipped or missing teeth, or the 'slider' to have a chipped/missing tip. Lugerdoc usually has replacement sights but they ain't cheap! :(

Cable tieing or wiring down the rear sight while shooting is recommended. ;)