LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Ejector Woes (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42068)

Karl 01-31-2023 11:28 AM

Ejector Woes

1 Attachment(s)
I replaced a broken ejector about a year ago with an aftermarket ejector from Tom Heller. On my last trip to the range, after perhaps 300 rounds, it failed (bent and cracked - see photo). It appears to be a casting. I use the mildest loads that will cycle the action with 115 grain bullets, so I don't think that I overstressed the ejector with a hot load, and I attribute the failure to the inferior quality of the aftermarket product. Given the scarcity of original ejectors, I would prefer to install another aftermarket ejector. In addition to Tom, sources that I am familiar with include Numrich Gun Parts and Jack First Gun Parts. I would be interested to know about experiences that others have had with aftermarket ejectors. Any recommendations?

KFS

tomaustin 01-31-2023 04:42 PM

what is the cost on the replacement..?

Karl 01-31-2023 05:33 PM

Tom,

Reproduction ejectors are in the $25. to $50. range. Originals are $75. and up. The big picture is that I foresee a day when originals may not be obtainable and I am seeking the best source for a reproduction. I should clarify that in my post I intended to say that I had fired perhaps 300 rounds since replacing the ejector, not in one day at the range.

KFS

tomaustin 01-31-2023 10:06 PM

there may be a box in the back of a warehouse way outside of an old production facility......just waiting to be found.

trouble is, original production pushing 100 years, well, it isn't coming with any warranties...

we are stuck with a perpetually diminishing supply chain....

but, the hunt can sure be fun......

Kiwi 02-01-2023 09:16 AM

Could try Sarco in Easton, Pa
https://www.sarcoinc.com/pistol-parts/luger/

I got a replacement mainspring guide from GT in Az.
GT noted that the 70's guides were cast but the 30's guides were forged and much stronger.

G.T. 02-01-2023 10:19 AM

I have'em!

Hi Karl, I have original NOS from armours stores. Either Norway or Finland. Look like original Mauser to me? They are exc. quality and work well, I've used several over the past year and they work and last great!
My price is $55.00 including postage first class... Or I'd trade for a nice unmarked original tool?... Let me know at: gctomeks@msn.com
best, til....lat'r....GT...:cheers:

Karl 02-01-2023 11:25 AM

Thanks G. T. I sent an email. I am still interested in knowing about good quality reproductions. Same for extractors. Someday the originals will be gone.

KFS

grantman 02-04-2023 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl (Post 346674)
I replaced a broken ejector about a year ago with an aftermarket ejector from Tom Heller. On my last trip to the range, after perhaps 300 rounds, it failed (bent and cracked - see photo). It appears to be a casting. I use the mildest loads that will cycle the action with 115 grain bullets, so I don't think that I overstressed the ejector with a hot load, and I attribute the failure to the inferior quality of the aftermarket product. Given the scarcity of original ejectors, I would prefer to install another aftermarket ejector. In addition to Tom, sources that I am familiar with include Numrich Gun Parts and Jack First Gun Parts. I would be interested to know about experiences that others have had with aftermarket ejectors. Any recommendations?

KFS

Karl: Definitely looks like a casting, but I suspect that the problem is in the heat-treatment of the part. its a Quality assurance issue, but its possible that this failure is very rare. Heat treat problems often happen in batches of parts. Its possible that this maker gets it right most of the time.l