LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Krieghoff Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Randall Gibson's book? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=13605)

MattR 12-29-2005 08:56 AM

Randall Gibson's book?

Does anybody know if there are any updates or modifications to Gibson's book, 2nd printing (1988) versus first printing (1980)? Or did the publisher just print more volumes?
Thanks!!
MattR

drbuster 12-29-2005 10:11 AM

I believe that only more volumes were printed. Mr. Gibson has been said to be preparing a new updated volume but this has not happened, to the best of my knowledge.

John Sabato 12-29-2005 10:39 AM

That is also my impression. The second printing was to provide more copies. The book I want is the book John D. needs to write about these amazing variations... He has done considerable 1st hand research since the Gibson book was published.

How about it John D. ???? :)

drbuster 12-29-2005 01:01 PM

I was waiting for someone to make reference to John D.'s upcoming epistle on the HK's but knowing how expensive and time consuming it is to get a book out today (not to mention errors that seem to always creep up), I was laying low, hoping to learn more about when (or whether) John D.'s book is coming out. We ALL are awaiting that day!

MattR 12-29-2005 01:11 PM

okay, thanks - I had a chance to buy a first printing that was signed. Other than the signature, of course, sounds like there are no differences.
Thanks!!
Matt

John Sabato 12-29-2005 04:39 PM

Herb (Drbuster),

Please reread my posting... ... I have no foreknowledge that John D. has a book in progress... I said that he "needs" to write a book! ...and indeed he does.

You can surmount the modern book publishing obstacles if you have a known market for your output by going electronic. Gerard Henrotin (author of the Luger animation that graces our home page) has done very well with his Luger and other gun series ebooks. I am sure John D. could recoup his investment by taking direct orders instead of the percentage that a publisher could offer him. Distribution could be done by controlled serially numbered downloads tied to the computer you install them on... just like Gerard's books.

Double O 12-29-2005 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by drbuster
I believe that only more volumes were printed. Mr. Gibson has been said to be preparing a new updated volume but this has not happened, to the best of my knowledge.
DrBuster
It is my understanding that Randall Gibson is deceased some three or four years now. In his professional life, he was a banker in Midland, TX.

r

drbuster 12-29-2005 11:05 PM

Double O, I haven't heard this news and, if true, is very sad and represents a grave loss to all of us in the Luger collecting community. Does anyone out there have similar knowledge?

RichSr 12-29-2005 11:34 PM

George Randall Gibson of Midland, Texas a geologist and individual of some note died last year at age 98. One of his sons is Randall Gibson also of Midland. Could this be the Author you're referring to ?

Edward Tinker 12-30-2005 12:14 AM

no, I do not beleive he is dead, and he isn't that old, maybe the son. John D. has talked to him in the last three years i am fairly sure.

Ed

Double O 12-30-2005 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Edward Tinker
no, I do not beleive he is dead, and he isn't that old, maybe the son. John D. has talked to him in the last three years i am fairly sure.

Ed

I do hope that I misspoke. I'm checking my sources in Midland to see if they can clarify..

r

Double O 12-30-2005 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Edward Tinker

Ed

Ed, Other respected compatriots--
I do apologize for the mistake. It was indeed Randall Gibson's Father aged some 98 years old that died a couple of years ago.
The Randall Gibson we are speaking of, and the author of "Krieghoff Parabellum", I am told by a reliable source is in his 70's, ill with Alzheimer's, and is unlikely to publish any further information on Krieghoff's.

Again, my sincere apologies, and respects to all--

Ronnie

Edward Tinker 12-30-2005 09:42 PM

Easy mistake to make Ronnie, now we all know.

What a shame, Alzheimers affects so many people :(

Ed

Rod WMG 12-31-2005 02:08 PM

That is sad.

You're right , Ed. That malady affects so many people and it's devastating. It gives new meaning to "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."

And I'm not being flippant or disrespectful when I say that.

drbuster 12-31-2005 05:30 PM

The apparent fact that Randall Gibson, the Krieghoff Parabellum author, has dementia is still a great loss for collectors in general and HK enthusiasts in particular. Drugs like Aricept, Exelon and Namenda merely slow down the progression of this terrible "stealer" of minds. Not even Ronald Reagan escaped the ravages of this increasingly prevalent disease. What a great shame! I wish Randall all the best and I suppose we all have to lean on John D.'s efforts to put current HK knowledge into book form.

Randall M. Bessler 01-03-2006 11:11 PM

To All Members:
Randall Gibson is in fine shape.
I spoke to him last week.
He will possibly be at the next Tulsa show.

Ron Wood 01-04-2006 12:01 AM

Now that's good news. Thanks Randy.

drbuster 01-04-2006 12:24 AM

It's amazing how incorrect "rumors" can cycle around but this one apparently had a happy ending. Very glad to hear that Randall Gibson is alive and well. Does this mean that a second edition is POSSIBLE?

Pete Ebbink 01-04-2006 05:38 PM

HK luger collecting is kind of a dementia in itself...:D

Rod WMG 01-04-2006 06:10 PM

Pete, sounds like a man who knows what he's talking about! ;)

That really is good news about Gibson.