LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Collector grade question (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=31355)

jagervw 10-10-2013 11:22 PM

Collector grade question

How durable is strawing on the earlier guns? I always clean my guns after shooting...I understand the salts from our skin can mar a finish, but would one go to the length of using gloves to avoid it all together?

If one wears gloves is he deemed a prissy fellow?

Thoughts?

Edward Tinker 10-10-2013 11:31 PM

You shoot your collector grade guns?

jagervw 10-10-2013 11:44 PM

Would one drive a 1960's Ferrari GTO or a 1973 Porsche 911 on the street? Some would some wouldn't.

For those whom shoot their irreplaceable items, would you suggest gloves or no?

Ron Wood 10-11-2013 12:34 AM

To wear gloves or not to wear gloves is kind of moot. If you shoot an irreplaceable item and break a numbered part the loss of a little finish kind of becomes inconsequential, doesn't it? Weigh one risk against the other and take your choice.

alvin 10-11-2013 06:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I fired 200 rounds from this R9 (detail see shooting column). It's my collector, the condition was VG+ to Exec-. The safety lever broke during the process. The lever on this variation is unnumbered, that's fortunate, but finding a replacement lever is not a very trivial task and will take time -- there are parts donor guns, but usually when a gun starts give away parts, it's in poor shape and the safety lever's condition does not match this gun's condition. Of course, future replacement lever must be period correct, that limits the searching scope.. and,,,, cost, cost, cost,,,, there are many nice guns with nice levers, but they are high cost and their levers are not donors. Temporarily, I put a Bolo lever on it, which does not work well. So, even broke a unnumbered part will create lots of searching work.

kzullick 10-11-2013 06:26 AM

If in your mind it makes you a prissy fellow than I guess it does. Others wouldn't have a problem with it. I use a product call feed n wax on my collector guns and never have any issues with occasional handling of them.

mrerick 10-11-2013 10:02 AM

After shooting any handgun, I spray it with a preserving gun oil like RemOil and wipe it down with a soft cloth. This helps remove fingerprints, and leaves a coating that can help eliminate finish problems. I also store guns in bore store type products. They are a silicone impregnated woven sock that helps repel moisture.

Straw is one of several methods of establishing an iron oxide coating on metal surfaces. Like rust bluing, salt bluing, nitre bluing and flame bluing the objective is to form an oxide other than rust (Fe2O3). Since the surface is oxidized once it won't be oxidized a second time in the same spots, preserving the surface.

Straw is not an applied coating. When, over time, other oxides form on a strawed surface they are much more visible because they are almost always dark in color.

Good article on iron oxidation is at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust

Arizona Slim 10-11-2013 11:36 AM

When I handle my firearms I normally wear gloves (cotton) and when I don't I do as Marc (mrerick) does and that is to spray the metal surface with RemOil and wipe down with a soft cloth being careful to keep the preservative away from the wood. I also keep a small dehumidifier in my gun safe such as an Eva-Dry and I have never experienced a problem. The importance of a small dehumidifier became apparent when I checked on some papers that I had stored in another safe without the benefit of one and moister was noticeable on them.
Lesson learned.

Lon

John Sabato 10-11-2013 12:11 PM

Alvin, have you considered having the broken part repaired/restored by a competent gunsmith or restorer of fine firearms? Thor or policeluger come to mind... that would retain your originality as much as possible... and depending on the kind of breakage, the repair might be invisible... just a thought...

rhuff 10-11-2013 04:23 PM

If you shoot at an outdoor range where large magnum handguns are fired, it is quite common to see these shooters wearing gloves. They wear them to aid in the recoil "pain", not to preserve the finish, but gloves are gloves.

alvin 10-11-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Sabato (Post 242006)
Alvin, have you considered having the broken part repaired/restored by a competent gunsmith or restorer of fine firearms?

The safety lever is a little bit hard. This lever has a flat spring in the front, which is thin and fragile, and it broke there.

Since it's unnumbered, I will try to find a replacement first.

Tony Min 10-12-2013 03:39 PM

It is kind of funny. in one thread "we" say you can't shoot your collector gun, and in another "we" say what a shame they deactivated your collector gun.
If you are not going to shoot it, deactivation doesn't really matter.

I know, I know what you are going to say.

My Luger though matching is not really collectable due to minor finish issues. But my BYF 42 P38 is matching and rare. Tomorrow I will put some more rounds through it though. And then clean and preserve it like I always do.

Anyway, the whole no shooting collectors keeps me torn.

lugerholsterrepair 10-12-2013 04:10 PM

I wear golfing gloves when I shoot. They are thin leather on the fingers giving good tactile feel for loading and handeling. They not only keep hand sweat/salts off my pistols but keep my hands clean. Any session where you load & fire 500 rounds or so is incredibly dirty.

I won't go into how incredibly stupid it is to fire collector grade all matching pistols when cheap shooter grades are so easily available..It's always taken the wrong way. People get the impression I think they are morons.

cirelaw 10-12-2013 05:39 PM

I'm up to 12 and I'm still a Luger Virgin~~I wondered how many lugers does the average luger collector have?

Ron Wood 10-12-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cirelaw (Post 242087)
I wondered how many lugers does the average luger collector have?

Always at least one less than they would like to have :cheers:

cirelaw 10-12-2013 06:33 PM

13th Comandment,, 'Thou shalt not covett thy neighbors' luger collection'!!

SteveM 10-12-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wood (Post 242089)
Always at least one less than they would like to have :cheers:

And always scheming about how to add that one more.:evilgrin:

Tony Min 10-12-2013 08:09 PM

I think it's nice to have an opinion and to feel strongly about something. But calling people stupid is taking it a little far.
I got into collecting because I like guns and I like to shoot them. I always wanted a Luger and now have my first one. I love it and it shoots great but the finish is below collector grade though all matching numbers. So you will be happy it is a shooter.
When I found my P38 I was looking for a shooter and accidentally bought a nice collector piece for $450 and I am shooting it. I had no idea it is actually a desirable gun for collecting. I am careful with it, keep it perfectly maintained and I am going to shoot it.
I will be buying more Lugers. I will shoot them all. I doubt I will buy any for more than a few thousand. But like with my P38 I might get lucky and find a good one.
Next on my list are a wartime 1911 and a Walther PP. Yup, gonna shoot them.
I guess I am a moron. But a happy one... :thumbsup:
:surr:

lugerholsterrepair 10-12-2013 08:14 PM

That's why I said I won't go into how incredibly stupid it is. It's always taken the wrong way. You try to explain these things and no one understands!

Tony Min 10-12-2013 08:20 PM

I won't argue with you. But you already said how incredibly stupid it is. I am a grown man and made an informed decision.
You know they fired the million dollar Luger some years back right? Don't think I would have done that.
So just because one person makes a different decision from another. They are not stupid or a moron. They just have a different opinion.