LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Shooting and Reloading (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Both Use The Same Ammo~ (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41400)

cirelaw 10-08-2021 06:06 PM

Both Use The Same Ammo~

1 Attachment(s)
Which standard 9mm gun is more accurate at normal range and distance?

Doubs 10-08-2021 07:45 PM

Experience with both has proven the Luger to be considerably more accurate than the P.38. The Luger can have near target accuracy while the P.38 is more on the order of combat accuracy.

aldo35 10-09-2021 09:30 AM

P38 & p08

I found the P38 more user friendly thus easier to use on the range. It could function with almost any 9mm ammo where as my P08 would not. I am not a great shot but most of the bullets were on target from either pistol.

Heinz 10-09-2021 05:30 PM

I second Doubs' comments. The Luger also has incredible pointing ability.

Aldo is right in that it is not user friendly. I have never found a Luger to be finicky about ammunition, as long as they are full power loads. My 30 cal Lugers seem to function flawlessly.

HerrKaiser 10-09-2021 08:49 PM

Biggest thing with Lugers and combat scenarios is that the sear system is inherently not safe to leave loaded and ready to simply pull point and shoot. With a P.38, I can engage the safety/decocker to have a hammer down on a loaded chamber plus the safety if I feel so inclined, and to draw point and shoot is a one handed operation where I don’t have to change my grip to disengage the safety.

A Luger’s platform does give greater potential accuracy, but practical accuracy for a handgun in combat doesn’t need to be precision shooting. Lord knows with the adrenaline rush, you won’t be shooting precisely.

Edward Tinker 10-09-2021 09:43 PM

My artillery (buffed and reblued before I got it), will feed just about anything, but I've had other lugers that were jamamatics. My P1 / P38's were always reliable, much like a 1911 :)

cirelaw 10-10-2021 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How much does barrel length control every aspect?

schutzen-jager 10-10-2021 02:24 PM

jmho

not only barrel length , but bore condition , chamber condition , headspace , ammo preference , quality of fitting at assembly , + numerous other factors enter into the equation - lacks common sense to compare different models of unknown quality against one another -

gunbugs 10-10-2021 02:59 PM

Barrel length by itself doesn't really matter. Sight radius is the big deal. Many older target autos had extended front sights, that went forward of the end of the barrel, to give added sight radius, for more precise aiming. If you put them in a mechanical rest, and take the human out of the equation, a 4" barrel will generally shoot as well as an 8" barrel. In rifles, bench rest shooters often use what is deemed a "shorter" barrel, because it is stiffer.

m1903a3 10-10-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbugs (Post 341472)
Barrel length by itself doesn't really matter. Sight radius is the big deal. Many older target autos had extended front sights, that went forward of the end of the barrel, to give added sight radius, for more precise aiming. If you put them in a mechanical rest, and take the human out of the equation, a 4" barrel will generally shoot as well as an 8" barrel. In rifles, bench rest shooters often use what is deemed a "shorter" barrel, because it is stiffer.

All other things being equal, I consider the Navy to be the most accurate of the three German military versions. While the LP-08 has a longer barrel, the Navy has the better combination of barrel length and sight radius.

I competed for decades shooting .58 Rifle-Muskets of the Civil War. While many preferred the shorter so-called "artillery" versions, I shot the standard ones with a 40" barrel. The sight radius on mine was exactly 1 yard! The weapons are amazingly accurate.

As for shooting the Lugers, I have found virtually all problems I've encountered were due to a magazine and not the pistol itself.

cirelaw 10-11-2021 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A dumb question but are all brands of 9mm the same or just the same! Has anyone tested a carbine. I own all three but never fired any!

Ron Wood 10-11-2021 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cirelaw (Post 341484)
A dumb question but are all brands of 9mm the same or just the same! Has anyone tested a carbine. I own all three but never fired any!

I am having a hard time restraining myself from answering your ammo question.
Ron

cirelaw 10-11-2021 05:58 PM

I admit I know nothing about modern ammo! I bought one white winchester 9mm to test out a shooter George Anderson sold me a nice shooter so I wouldn't ruin our gems! There is nothing new in my ammo collection! I'm basically a shooter virgin!!

spangy 10-11-2021 07:26 PM

The short answer is NO ... hell no