LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Swiss Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Swiss Luger Holster (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=26816)

John Pepera 09-06-2011 11:32 AM

Swiss Luger Holster

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

Can anyone give me any information about pricing on this Swiss Holster?

Thanks very much.

John Pepera
peppers1@ameritech.net

wlyon 09-06-2011 06:45 PM

Without the straps $125-175. Bill

Hugo Borchardt 09-07-2011 04:26 PM

Bill: In general, how much do the straps add to the value of one of these?

wlyon 09-07-2011 06:24 PM

Clark
Not sure but would guess $75-100. Bill

John Pepera 09-07-2011 09:05 PM

Thanks very much Bill.

fausto 09-12-2011 05:33 PM

Hello Bill !
I was just wondering about these straps...I have a lot of Swiss Luger holsters, many complete with straps, but I have never found (not even at Swiss gunshows in Luzern and Lausanne or by Swiss dealers-collectors) a holster with matching manufacturer and year strap. The best I found were straps with a year close to the one on holster...And this is good also for many SIG P49 holsters I got in the years.
The higher price of a holster complete with straps is intended for one with matching straps or straps at random? I would appreciate a lot your opinion and, by the way, did you ever find a holster with really matching straps?
Thanks a bunch !
Fausto

sheepherder 09-12-2011 06:11 PM

That is a very nice style holster! I am a bit confused, however...how is that intended to be worn??? The belt loops would give it a pronounced rake...Shoulder straps would help, but still...Is that intended to be worn on the left or right???

wlyon 09-13-2011 12:24 AM

Fausto
I am not a Swiss holster expert by any stretch of the imagination. However I have owned a few and agree with you the straps and holster did not have the same date. My price was for a correct strap regardless of the date. They are an interesting and excellent holster. Bill

fausto 09-13-2011 02:54 AM

Thanks Bill,
It would be nice to find one of these holsters with exactly matching straps as I'm pretty sure that they were originally delivered by the many (many!) private contractors complete...
Fausto

fausto 09-13-2011 03:07 AM

Hello postino!
Judging by period pictures these holsters were worn on the left-forward side of the body, in the German (P08, P38 etc.) style. There is however an interesting picture on one of the small Datig's books which shows Swiss Mountain Troops on skis with their Parabellum 1906/29 holsters all worn on the rear-left of the body... I can't imagine how they could quickly draw the pistol in an emergency situation...
Fausto

alanint 09-13-2011 06:27 AM

They could not, but I'm sure it made "poling" much easier as this requires constant back and forth movement of the arms, which a holster worn at the left front would interfere with. Perhaps a better solution would have been a chest rig for their pistols, similar to holsters worn on molly rigs today.

Redbone311 09-15-2011 09:29 PM

Alanint is quite correct. The constant "poling" while cross county skiing would necessitate the gun not be worn on the hip. I don't think that a chest rig would work well however either. Cross country skiing is a very high energy/exertion effort. When doing lot's of it I would imagine that they had to ventilate their chest area to get rid of excess heat and perspiration. But then they would have to cover up again when they stopped for a rest or to scan the area, etc. A chest rig would then constantly be in the way. That and the fact that they did not have access to the kinds of materials and methods that we have today.