LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   New To This Forum - First Question! (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42268)

RHRH 08-13-2023 01:07 PM

New To This Forum - First Question!

Dear LF Group,

I just recently aquired a 1918, Erfurt, 9mm Luger and just today signed into this group. I thoroughly cleaned the gun itself and the inside and outside of the magazine. I have not fired it yet, range later this week. It appears to function ok but the toggle will not lock back. I have examined the action by removing the wooden grip panels but find nothing immediately evident. The magazine stays in the gun well and does not fall out. I have read some internet remarks on the magazine follower not engaging correctly. When I look at this I cannot see that the magzine follower has anythiing to engage with. Any ideas regarding the lack of lock back would be appreciated.

Thank you, Bob

gunnertwo 08-13-2023 05:22 PM

First- Welcome! Very helpful and knowledgable folks here.

I will assume the empty magazine is in the pistol and the toggle will not lock in the upright position. If you have another magazine see if the same condition exists. The first solution is to eliminate the magazine as the cause. Perhaps the magazine spring is weak and will not lift the "hold-open". Images of the frame with the toggle train removed will help diagnose the problem. Others will comment with their suggestions.

G2

reiver 08-13-2023 10:36 PM

The hold open mechanism is on the right side of the frame as you look down on it muzzle forward. The 'button' on the mag engages an element of the spring loaded hold open device. If it is there and operating the spring in the mag can be weak or the L shaped arm of the mechanism is worn and does not engage the bolt. A pic of that area would help.

Norme 08-14-2023 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If this helps any, here is a photo of the hold-open mechanism as seen from above.
Norm

Doubs 08-14-2023 05:34 PM

Norme's picture should help you identify the hold open that is activated by the magazine follower pushing the block upward and preventing the action from closing.

Is yours missing or possibly never there? If never there, you may have a frame manufactured in 1913 or before without the hold open installed. Lugers made without the hold open could be retrofit by the Erfurt factory and many were but some weren't. A 1918 Luger should have the hold open so it's possible that the upper and frame are from different Lugers. Pictures of your Luger would help; top, both sides, front of the frame etc.

mrerick 08-15-2023 12:51 PM

Welcome to the forum. Our FAQ document (follow the FAQ link above) will have useful reference material.