LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All P-08 Military Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   P.08 toggle assembly swap (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=39711)

Nakanokalronin 06-17-2019 05:14 PM

P.08 toggle assembly swap

I recently bought an all matching 42 "byf" Mauser Luger known to some as the "Black Widow" model. I want to shoot it, but I fear breaking one of the all matching parts in the toggle assembly. I found a complete original 42 DWM toggle assembly online and was wondering if it has a chance to just drop in and function. I've read some snippets here and there that people swap the assemblies to prevent original parts breakage, but I want to make sure before I order it.

HerrKaiser 06-17-2019 05:26 PM

It might or it might not. No way to know until you have it. Even if the parts “fit” without you having to do any work to fit them, it may not function as reliably if at all. How you choose to proceed is up to you. As long as you have the tools and know-how then I’d go for it.

Nakanokalronin 06-17-2019 05:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just have to order it and hope for the best. I've fit plenty of 1911 parts including slides to frames so it shouldn't be too difficult if I need to do some fitting.

DonVoigt 06-17-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin (Post 326218)
I recently bought an all matching 42 "byf" Mauser Luger known to some as the "Black Widow" model. I want to shoot it, but I fear breaking one of the all matching parts in the toggle assembly. I found a complete original 42 DWM toggle assembly online and was wondering if it has a chance to just drop in and function. I've read some snippets here and there that people swap the assemblies to prevent original parts breakage, but I want to make sure before I order it.

Odds are it will work just fine.:thumbup:

Bill_in_VA 06-17-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 326221)
Odds are it will work just fine.:thumbup:

This.
I’ve swapped a few toggle trains and all have worked.

G.T. 06-17-2019 08:04 PM

what to look for!

Most of the time, in fact, a good majority of the time, you can switch them around with no ill effects? But, there are a few checks that will ensure that you'll be safe! It is desirable that your toggle train is tight, as in no, or very little, lateral breechblock movement when the toggle train is installed into the receiver?... The breech block can move a very few thousands, but any more will result in way too much headspace. Which brings us to the second check, as you range test your parts swap unit, check the first round thru it, and also the next half a dozen or so, for a pierced primer?... If all you see is a brass dimpled primer, all is well! A little black mark right in the center and for sure, the boogieman is right around the corner!!!!... :eek:....Best to all, til….lat'r….GT.....:cheers:

HerrKaiser 06-17-2019 08:27 PM

Seems like I’ve just had the unlucky experience then. One of my pistols’ parts fits in another one, but the other doesn’t do the reverse.

DonVoigt 06-17-2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerrKaiser (Post 326230)
Seems like I’ve just had the unlucky experience then. One of my pistols’ parts fits in another one, but the other doesn’t do the reverse.

Looks like your are one of the "1%",
unfortunately the wrong 1%.:evilgrin:

4 Scale 06-18-2019 02:40 AM

My military 9mm shooter is a Mauser ('38) with an Imperial DWM toggle that fits perfectly.

rhuff 06-18-2019 01:26 PM

I have only switched out a couple of complete toggle trains over the years, but they functioned just fine. GT brings up some very valid points to watch for. Give it a try.....nothing ventured----nothing gained!!

HerrKaiser 06-18-2019 01:56 PM

My DWM pistol will accept my Mauser’s parts, but the DWM parts are ever so slightly too big and won’t fit right into the Mauser. I haven’t tried anything with my new-to-me Erfurt artillery to see how those might work yet.