LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Commercial Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Luger P08 - identication? help (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=33659)

rocafella1978 12-14-2014 09:57 AM

Luger P08 - identication? help

9 Attachment(s)
dear all, would appreciate if someone could help me identify the Luger I received as a gift from my father in law this week for XMAS. :thumbup:
I have noticed that the magazine serial and details don't match the guns details/ serials.

Bill_in_VA 12-14-2014 10:17 AM

I'm certainly no expert, but your pistol appears to be a .30 Commercial, or "alphabet" Luger. The magazine should be unnumbered

Edward Tinker 12-14-2014 10:17 AM

welcome

I assume its in 7.65mm? and not 9mm?

no date on the chamber - likely a mid 1920's what we call an alphabet luger made for army and police - unless it has 'germany' stamped on it, then an export to the USA

mag number being different from gun is very common

Ed

mrerick 12-14-2014 10:33 AM

You most likely have a DWM Alphabet Commercial Luger, made in 1923 or 1924. Looks to be in good original condition. The magazines that came with these Lugers were wood bottom, and normally not numbered.

It should be in 7.56 (.30 caliber) Luger. A no. 2 pencil should either not fit down the barrel, or just barely make it in.

If numbered, your magazine is likely from an earlier period.

Looks like someone cleaned it rather aggressively, removing the paint normally found in the safety marking on the frame ear.

The crown/N proof marks are commercial marks.

It may have a "Made in Germany" or "GERMANY" marking, applied when it was imported.

rocafella1978 12-14-2014 01:41 PM

6 Attachment(s)
wanted to thank everyone for your feedback, info and help! so kind of you all.
I posted some more pictures, since I don't know much about the Luger's history, markings and other details.

Ron Wood 12-14-2014 02:31 PM

Your magazine is the "spare" magazine (as indicated by the "+" mark) for a WWI Erfurt Luger. It appears to be in nice condition, although in the one photo it looks like there may be a chip out of the top of one of the "knobs". The chip is repairable if one wanted to do so, and even without the repair the magazine has value.

Sergio Natali 12-14-2014 02:36 PM

Welcome to this site made by LUGER enthusiasts.

First of all, lucky you, you got a lovely Christmas present I would say!

It's a 7,65 Parabellum made around 1920's so short after Versailes Treaty that as a consequence of the WWI forbid Germany to build handguns with caliber bigger than 8mm and barrels longer than 10 cm.
Although not that rare, these LUGERS like yours were mainly made for the foreign commercial market.
Those should be the last LUGERS made by DWM (that in 1922 became BKIW and with warehouse remnants assembled "Swiss Comercial" Lugers 1920/1923 with the Swiss "sun in burst" marking and 12-15 cm long barrels.)

Sergio

rocafella1978 12-15-2014 12:40 PM

hi all, thank you so much for all your replies and in sharing your knowledge and what you see on my Luger. really appreciate it. I am still trying to find out what year exactly and etc, but learning more every day as I continue my research and learn from all of you! thank you all again!

wdavid431 12-15-2014 02:52 PM

Regardless of the talk and hype, it is still a Luger.
Beautiful pistol.

rhuff 12-15-2014 04:07 PM

That was a wonderful Christmas present, and one that any Luger enthusiast would be proud to own. As has been stated above, it is a Commercial and not Military Luger, yet is still a "real" Luger and looks to be a nice one. Enjoy!!

toadranch1 12-17-2014 05:32 PM

I have Lugers, but none of them has the original "straw" color that yours has, on the trigger, takedown latch, etc. So nice to see one with no bluing on those parts!

Lucky, lucky guy to have a FIL like that!