LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Luger Accessories (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Help finding correct magazine (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=33300)

NavyVet24 10-04-2014 08:01 AM

Help finding correct magazine

I am new to Luger Forum and Lugers since my wife inherited one. It is a Mauser (42) 1939. It has no matching magazine and the one it has is cracked. I do not know if it is remotely correct for type and finish. What should a "U" 185 1939 Mauser magazine look like? Blue, nickel, extruded, folded, etc? I cannot find a site with pictures to help me figure out what to look for. Thank you.

Ron Smith 10-08-2014 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The correct magazine would be folded and blued, with aluminum bottom. What part is cracked? The bottom or the tube?

NavyVet24 10-09-2014 01:01 PM

Ron, thank you very, very much. Should there be any markings or stamps on the sheet metal part? I know the aluminum part should have some markings, but magazine that came with it is obviously totally wrong as it is not blue either. Oh, the crack is on the front as the curve starts about an inch below the feed. I have an album with pictures of this gun and the magazine. Once I find what is supposed to be, I can start searching for a correct magazine, even though the number will be wrong.

Ron Smith 10-09-2014 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No markings on the body, just a serial number on the base. There are repros out there that look very similar to the originals, and require an experienced eye, so be sure it's legit before you pay the price.

I would try posting in the "Wanted to Buy" section of this forum or Jan Still's forum first. One of the members may have one to sell. And you're much less likely to get taken for a spendy ride. A correct, original nice magazine will run $125 + on average. Finding a matching SN magazine will be like hitting the lottery.

Also, be sure that you're getting a military, not a police magazine. A police magazine will have a "1" or a "2" stamped below the SN. A Military magazine will not be numbered "1 or 2" , but could have a "+" indicating that it's the "spare" which would be acceptable and correct. Unless your Luger is Police issue, then the reverse would be correct.

A Military issue 1939 Luger magazine will also be marked with an Eagle / 63 or Eagle / 655 military acceptance mark.

NavyVet24 10-10-2014 01:08 PM

Ron, again, thank you so much. I've learned more from your posts than I found in days of searching on Google!

Ron Smith 10-10-2014 01:13 PM

You're welcome.. I hope you have some luck finding the mag.

tharpo 10-10-2014 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a 1939 "u" suffix magazine. Note the large E/63.

Tom

Lugerdoc 10-11-2014 04:40 PM

NV, The closest correct type original mag that I have to offer is 2876W over large E/63 VG @$95 + $10 insured priority S&H. Tom