LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All P-08 Military Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Two questions re: value (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=39685)

meadowlark 06-08-2019 02:31 PM

Two questions re: value

First question:
Will the value of a collectible Luger decrease or increase if it has a grip with the "million dollar chip" repaired?
Second question:
Will the value of a collectable Luger increase or decrease if the grips are cleaned and oiled with Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish?
TIA

DonVoigt 06-08-2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meadowlark (Post 325984)
First question:
Will the value of a collectible Luger decrease or increase if it has a grip with the "million dollar chip" repaired?
Second question:
Will the value of a collectable Luger increase or decrease if the grips are cleaned and oiled with Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish?
TIA

A- depends on how bad the chip is, and how well the repair is done.
A good repair is not noticable and has little effect on the value, JMHO.

B-Depends! Clean grips on a well used pistol are not "right", neither are oily worn out grips on a 98% pistol.

Again, a light cleaning is probably ok on most pistols - IF they need it. But no tru oil!

I'd rather someone leave them alone and let me decide to clean or not to clean. JMHO.

But definitely no oil!:(

DavidJayUden 06-09-2019 08:41 AM

My $.02:
Good grip repair is not a bad thing. I'd call it a wash or slight increase in value over a chip. But it depends on the worksmanship.
Mild cleaning, diluted mineral spirits and a tooth brush is OK, but some here prefer original dirt. Absolutely, without a doubt, Tru-Oil is not appropriate. I have at times used a mixture of mineral spirits, with a few drops of linseed oil and Japan Dryer to clean grips and been very happy with the results.
dju

meadowlark 06-09-2019 02:50 PM

Thanks for the replies

Thanks Don And David,
Your answers are exactly what I though. Since the benefit ($) of repairing the grip is relatively small I'll leave the grip as is an no Tru-Oil!

Geo99 06-09-2019 10:50 PM

I know you already have the answers you were looking for, but IMO, a large chip in a numbered matching grip, properly repaired by Hugh Clark or Jim Solomon, will restore the value of the gun to what it should be. I always deduct value for chipped or incorrect (non-original) grips on any gun I am considering buying.

- Geo

meadowlark 06-10-2019 03:28 PM

Thanks Geo99,
I appreciate your input. If I decide to have it repaired and later the chip returns because I sell the gun to someone who decides to make it a "shooter". I believe the liability for repairing it again rests with me. I don't think I want that responsibility. I recently read that the chip is caused by the recoil action during firing and not by poor grip removal.

cirelaw 06-10-2019 03:37 PM

I think it was Gerry T. (sic) who does perfect at repairs!

cirelaw 06-10-2019 03:41 PM

G.T. Does magic, worth everything!