LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All Post-WWII Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   VOPO Barrel Identification (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=38909)

mestguy182 09-12-2018 10:05 AM

VOPO Barrel Identification

Hi all, I just purchased this https://www.simpsonltd.com/products/c40810 from Simpson Limited, my first Luger, and am trying to identify the barrel markings. The 6th and 8th pictures are the easiest to see them in. Also, this is listed as a VOPO but I don't see any sunburst marks and it still has the original grips, what do you guys think? I don't get the gun until Friday so I guess the sunburst could be hidden. Thanks for your help!

sheepherder 09-12-2018 10:52 AM

What makes you think that a 'sunburs't denotes a VoPo/RC Luger???

I'm not being critical, I would just like to know the source...

mestguy182 09-12-2018 11:22 AM

Something I saw on Reddit, bad information?

Edward Tinker 09-12-2018 11:24 AM

Sunburst -- Police Lugers for one, the FAQ for another

there are differnent sunburst symbols, I am bad about saying sunburst, when it would be smarter to say, Vopo Sunburst or the fancy term of blah, blah, DDR marking.

However, I see nothing on this to make me think its a Vopo - perhaps the original owner bought it as one. But no east german markings, no DDR markings scrubbed out, serial number on sideplate and other parts aren't crossed out and renumberd.

If this came by my table, I'd say, it was a mixed parts numbered luger....

sheepherder 09-12-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Tinker (Post 319084)

I found only two instances of 'sunburst' in the FAQ, which refer to Swiss Lugers...TBLAP shows Swiss cross-in-sunburst references...Also, a Search here shows many Swiss Luger thread references...

Is the 'sunburst' mark called something else???

I recall seeing an oval mark with many lines radiating from it...Kind of like a bug...Is that the 'sunburst'??? :confused:

mestguy182 09-12-2018 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Tinker (Post 319084)

there are differnent sunburst symbols, I am bad about saying sunburst, when it would be smarter to say, Vopo Sunburst or the fancy term of blah, blah, DDR marking.

However, I see nothing on this to make me think its a Vopo - perhaps the original owner bought it as one. But no east german markings, no DDR markings scrubbed out, serial number on sideplate and other parts aren't crossed out and renumberd.

If this came by my table, I'd say, it was a mixed parts numbered luger....

Got it, thanks. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing though. Any thoughts on the barrel proofs?

DonVoigt 09-12-2018 02:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The barrel marking of eagle/o is sometimes seen on lugers reworked by the Weimar navy.
This example is a totally mixed up parts luger and worth what you paid if it shoots well, or maybe a little less. I see nothing that says "Vopo" either

The Vopo "sunburst" looks like this:
First picture shows a nice sunburst, the second a partial sunburst in a different location on a Thalmann made luger, the third shows no sunburst but the different shape of the East German made take down lever, the fourth shows how the sunbursts were frequently "peened" to disguise the Communist source during the cold war(so they could be imported to the US, and the last one another well struck sunburst.

Forgot to say, I do collect these East German pistols. :evilgrin:

mestguy182 09-12-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 319093)
The barrel marking of eagle/o is sometimes seen on lugers reworked by the Weimar navy.
This example is a totally mixed up parts luger and worth what you paid if it shoots well, or maybe a little less. I see nothing that says "Vopo" either

First picture shows a nice sunburst, the second a partial sunburst in a different location on a Thalmann made luger, the third shows no sunburst but the different shape of the East German made take down lever, the fourth shows how the sunbursts were frequently "peened" to disguise the Communist source during the cold war(so they could be imported to the US, and the last one another well struck sunburst.

Thank you, that was very informative. And thank you for making me feel better about the value!

I saw a post on here where the VIPO markings were behind the takedown lever, at least now I know what to look for. I would have paid a little more for a matching numbers gun but couldn't find one with the blue in as good of condition as this one and I wanted one with a good bore. Thanks again!

sheepherder 09-12-2018 03:33 PM

Quote:

Thank You, Don! :thumbup:

That's the first picture of the East German takedown lever I've seen. Also, those sunbursts are not what I was thinking of; that is, the 'bug' marking... :D

Edward Tinker 09-12-2018 04:26 PM

The sunburst marking (not bug, that is a 1900 luger markings) can be seen in several locations, not just one. Usually on the left side near the serial number, but I have seen them in 2 or 3 locations, and in a couple locations on the same pistol.

Mark1 09-12-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Don, Thanks for the examples. What is the figure/character on the shield within the sunburst ?
Mark

DonVoigt 09-12-2018 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark1 (Post 319103)
Don, Thanks for the examples. What is the figure/character on the shield within the sunburst ?
Mark

It is often an "unreadable" number or mark, indicating an EG police district.

DonVoigt 09-12-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepherder (Post 319095)
Thank You, Don! :thumbup:

That's the first picture of the East German takedown lever I've seen. Also, those sunbursts are not what I was thinking of; that is, the 'bug' marking... :D

These are the "small" or "vopo" sunburst.:cheers:
It is definitely not a bug, too many legs.:eek:

Lugerdoc 09-13-2018 01:46 PM

Quite often a DDR replacement barrel will have a "narrow aspect" crown over N proof mark and may even have a month and year date (eg "953" for Sept 1953) on the bottom of barrel. TH

Dwight Gruber 09-13-2018 04:33 PM

The "sunburst" is often referred to as a starburst on police pistols.

Iirc the letter inside the s...burst-shield is the initial of the armorer who performed the work.

--Dwight