LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Beginners Mistake (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41784)

jeb111 05-30-2022 03:09 PM

Beginners Mistake

So I will share a mistake I made with a recently purchased Luger. I ran across a 1912 Erfurt that caught my eye because it was unit marked. The seller said it was all matching minus the mag so I looked it over with a fine toothed comb and sure enough all #'s matched, all the proofs were visible where they were supposed to be, good bore, hold open, grips, firing pin all match. Original mid 90% finish. I was sooo excited to find a Erfurt with a unit mark which I later determined to be from a machine gun company attached to the 172 infantry regiment that was part of the 7th army on the western front. Anyway I get home and head right to my gun room to clean it and "Holy Smoke" that's when I noticed no number on the lock bolt/takedown lever. I couldn't believe I missed that, I was furious with myself to overlook something so obvious. All the studying and research from books and the Forum, reading and asking questions, I still made a bone head move! I am fairly over it now and truly like the pistol and convinced myself it still has a lot going for it. I guess it could be worse but thinking it had all matching #'s on all the required parts well not so much. I paid just under 2g's for it so it wasn't to expensive of a mistake. Learned a lesson for sure, to keep more calm and be careful not to get blinded with excitement when looking at something. BTW not blaming the seller at all as I had all the time and opportunity to carefully examine the pistol.
Happy Memorial Day
Jim

Edward Tinker 05-30-2022 03:29 PM

Jim, I did the same thing, more than once.
I once bought a 25 acp that wasn't - it was a 25 caliber (?) gas pistol, still cool, but I felt like an idiot. It did have capture paperwork.

lugerholsterrepair 05-30-2022 06:03 PM

A takedown lever with no number on an otherwise desirable pistol. What you missed was an opportunity to beat the seller up on price.

jeb111 06-02-2022 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 344398)
A takedown lever with no number on an otherwise desirable pistol. What you missed was an opportunity to beat the seller up on price.

Did a little beating up but not nearly as much as maybe I could have but in all reality I doubt I could have done a whole lot better. The lesson I learned was worth the little I overpaid. At least that's what I'm telling myself to feel better.

Jim

gunnertwo 06-02-2022 06:24 PM

Guilty of that also, WWI DWM with MG markings. Missed the non matching rear toggle, seller took it back. Lesson learned, go slow and take everthing in.

G2