LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Simson book (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=12759)

Edward Tinker 09-01-2005 11:50 PM

Simson book

Hello everyone,

Something has been nagging at me for a long time, specifically that there is not a book on Simson's. However, to get smart on Simson's I believe that you have to find out as much information as you can, plus look at a lot of them. I have one Simson, a re-blue, but the markings are all sharp.

I have searched on the two forums and gathered information on Simson's, but was wondering if you guys have, or you guys knew of a collector who had 1, 2 or 30 Simson's? I know this isn't an easy task, and feel that by taking as many pictures of assorted, unmolested Simson's, I could get a real feel for them.

I have e-mailed all the Luger collectors I know, and if anyone has a Simson they'd like me to study via pictures, in person, etc., write me! (note; I e-mail some of the guys, and I think I used OLD email addys, so if I missed you, SORRY!!)

I can keep it as anonymous or un-anonymous as you'd like; either giving credit or just having observed it.

Also, any tips and hints on Simson facts, figures or manufacturing information would be gladly appreciated!

Ed Tinker

Russ 09-02-2005 12:28 PM

Ed check your email. I will send you the gun if you want.

Russ

Edward Tinker 10-08-2005 11:35 PM

We are trying to find out about a few Simson's we have in our database, specifically, should the following serial numbers actually have suffix "a"?

Or does anyone have these same serial numbers and the toggle is actually a Simson & Suhl?

Serial Number Toggles all marked S

Thanks,

Ed

LU1900 10-10-2005 05:30 AM

Edward Tinker 04-17-2006 01:12 AM

In the last two weeks I added about 12 new Simson serial numbers to my database, Graham and I are up 326 serial numbers, with toggle and about 60 verified proofs on the right. These 326 mean we have either talked to collectors who have witnessed the gun or have the gun. Anything unverified goes into another database of unsure items, so I beleive the 326 is fairly accurate.

If you have a Simson, please send me the information to weimar_lugers@comcast.net

Also, something interesting I am looking at, after talking to PJ and Vern, is what machine guns did Simson make during the 1920's and early 1930's? And the big question is, what were they marked with for acceptance or proofs? Is it Eagle 6, eagle 46, eagle ??

Anyone know or know where to look?

Ed

John Sabato 04-17-2006 11:55 AM

Visit the forums at Subguns.com and ask your question there Ed... Best Class III website there is...

Edward Tinker 04-17-2007 12:37 PM

I received several new numbers for the database of Simson information this last week; and anything we collect going forward from March 07 on is for the revised Simson Lugers book! Yes, you heard me right. Simpson LTD (wonâ??t that cause confusion for folks; Simson lugers published by Simpsonâ?¦), Simpson has a publishing concern in Thailand and will be publishing the book â??Simson Lugersâ? by Edward Tinker and Graham Johnson, with it being published and available for purchase by July or August. A paraphrased quote from Brad Simpson;
Quote:

The book should arrive in the USA in July or August, so now is a good time to start talking about it on the forums. Once I have a final cover design, I'll put it on the http://www.simpsonltd.com web-site and start taking advance orders.
We think it is a pretty good book, with a lot of information and feedback from many members of the forums and NAPCA. We have literally hundreds of photos of Simsons, from the dated 1925â??s, 1926â??s and the undated models (to include S toggle and Simson & Co, Suhl toggles.

As I alluded to above, Simpson LTD is publishing for us, and has treated us with the highest regard, being very helpful, providing editing service and just treating us like kings through the entire process. There are two versions of the book, the standard version that will market for around $65 plus shipping and a deluxe version, signed by both of us, leather bound for $125 plus shipping. Simpson will start taking advance orders probably mid-May, once the final cover design is completed and Brad is back in the USA.

Don M 04-17-2007 01:07 PM

Ed,

Congratulations on this important milestone! I'll have to pick your brain about book publishing as I am beginning to get serious about my book on German police markings in the period 1900-1936.

Ron Wood 04-17-2007 01:32 PM

Ed,
I would like to be standing near the front of the line for one of the deluxe signed versions. I have really been looking forward to its publication even though I have sold off all my Simsons long ago to finance Imperial stuff.
Ron

lew1 04-17-2007 10:55 PM

Ed

How many copies of standard version will be printed ?

How many of the deluxe version will be printed ?

Edward Tinker 05-15-2007 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
approx 1400 Standard copies and 100 deluxe copies

this is in this months Simpson, LTD catalog. Hopefully this doesn't appear too crass for me to push this :rolleyes:

Quote from Brad (who has treated us really nice)... [qoute]I will start taking orders soon on our web site. Look for it to appear with pictures in the next day or two on the front page of the www.simpsonltd.com site.[/quote]

Dwight Gruber 05-15-2007 03:55 PM

Crass? our Eddie, crass??? :D

--Dwight

lew1 05-15-2007 04:11 PM

crass ?? Only if it had been highlighted.

:D :D

Ron Smith 05-15-2007 04:56 PM

Dwight and James,

Surly this must be talking about some other Ed Tinker...:D

Ron

bradsimpson 05-16-2007 03:12 PM

I'm trying to get this book available for pre-order on our www.simpsonltd.com web site ASAP. Right now our shopping cart automatically captures and authorizes credit cards at checkout. Since we don't want to run the cards until the books are actually shipped to the customers, we are having to set up a different system for pre-orders on this book. I am pushing my IT guys as fast as I can, but it will still take a few days to get a system set up. Those of you familiar with our web-site know that it is state of the art.

People are E-Mailing every day about wanting to order copies, especially to make sure they will get one of the 100 Deluxe Editions. I wanted to start taking orders yesterday, but now it looks like the end of the week is more realistic.

Standard hardcovers will be $69.95 + S&H.
Deluxe Leather Editions with gold guilding that are signed by the authors will be $125.00 + S&H

I was in Bangkok the last 5 weeks doing the pre-press work for this book. It starts printing this week at Thai Watana Panich Press Co. (the same place I printed Len Antaris's "Star Pistols" book. I should have finished copies available in mid-July.

From what I've seen so far, It should be a beatiful book. Ed & Graham have done a great job telling the Simson Luger story. And I've done my best to produce a quality book. Keep an eye out for it to appear on our web site soon.
Brad Simpson: Galesburg, IL

bradsimpson 05-18-2007 04:44 PM

Now Taking Pre-Orders!

You can now pre-order this book on our web wite: www.simpsonltd.com

I'll keep the forum updated on printing progress & estimated arrival time.

policeluger 05-18-2007 05:19 PM

I just ordered 2 delux editions, however the order form is adobe 7. (something) and my 5.0 did not work well.....you need to upgrade or call your order in.......

bradsimpson 05-18-2007 05:27 PM

If you can't get the form to work on your computer, just call me at 309-342-5800 and I'll fill out the form from here.

lugerholsterrepair 05-18-2007 06:30 PM

That's exciting! Finally the last word on Simson Lugers all in one place! As I understand it only a hundred limited editions will be printed? They will surely go fast.
Ed was kind enough to let me preview a proof copy last Summer and I was surprised at the depth and detail. I found it to be fascinating reading and immediately wanted to aquire a Simson Luger!
Congratulations to Ed and Graham. Can't wait to get my 2 copies! Jerry Burney

Pete Ebbink 05-18-2007 08:31 PM

Howard et al...

Free Adobe Acrobat "reader"downloads for v.7.0 are available on their web site. Also v.8.0.

The free download will let you open up pdf-files in v7.0 or v.8.0 but it will not allow you to create new pdf-files. One needs to purchase a package to do that.

http://www.acrobat-reader-ib.com/ind...FR-xhgodoHq91A