LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   To shoot? or not to shoot? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=39752)

Big Chris 07-08-2019 08:08 PM

To shoot? or not to shoot?

A few months ago, I bought a 42 BYF in almost mint condition, with holster and 2 correct magazines. All matching down to the firing pin & toggle, here's my dilemma....I want to test fire it! maybe only 1 magazine, but other members have suggested not to , due to any breakage of the matching parts , would de value the gun. I have over $4000.00 in this rig as it sits. I know it's up to me , in the end, if I decide to or not. So any feedback would be helpful???

Robert in NC 07-08-2019 08:47 PM

ok, first let me prefeace this with a statemeant that I'm more of an 'owner of old guns' that an actual 'collector'.

I completey respect those who choose to collect valuable historical weapons, and I understnd their reasoning about not shooting a valuable collectable. But for ME personally, I don't own any guns I can't shoot. Doesn't mean I take them to the range weekly or monthly, but I will occasionally shoot any gun I own.

But that being the case I don't buy 'quality' collectable guns, specifically BECAUSE I will shoot them.

In the end, it is your choice, nd your risk.

Best of luck!

DonVoigt 07-08-2019 08:48 PM

This "to shoot, or not to shoot" question has been beat to death.
There is no answer, do what you wish.

Doubs 07-08-2019 08:53 PM

While it's unlikely that one magazine of cartridges will break a numbered part, it's not guaranteed. If I had $4,000 invested, I WOULDN'T. I have all matching Lugers that are not as nice as yours and I don't shoot them.

If you can afford to, buy a second Luger with the express purpose of shooting it. I have several that I shoot and I've just sent a receiver and barrel off to have them mated. When they return, I'll have a frame from which I can shoot both 30 caliber and 9mm by swapping the uppers. My shooters are Lugers that have little collector value but are great to fire.

Norme 07-08-2019 08:59 PM

:rtfm:

Norm, do you have to be rude to a new member?

You may not care if they shoot their gun or not, but our job here is not to make them go away

Admin

HerrKaiser 07-08-2019 09:06 PM

As they have said. I personally would shoot one mag and then never again just to know it functions. But the decision is ultimately yours.

Sergio Natali 07-09-2019 01:58 AM

I used to collect and I NEVER shot my collectible pieces.:nono:

As you contemplate firing your Luger, please do consider that it only takes one round for something unforeseen to occur, and the monetary and historical value may drop like a rock.
Common sense tells us that there are just a lot of better choices for a regular shooter than the vintage LUGER.
IMO

George Anderson 07-09-2019 08:44 AM

Having already put out four grand, I would suggest that you pop for a few hundred more and buy a complete toggle train to use for shooting. That's what I do.

CptCurl 07-09-2019 09:24 AM

I have one of the Russian capture Lugers that were imported some years back. It's a Mauser Code 42, matching except for the toggle pin and hold-open. It looks like it received a Russian hot-dip blue job with no polishing. That's good because all lines and markings remain crisp. It functions perfectly. It's my shooter and lives in my range bag. It has no collector value and didn't cost a lot of money.

In the hand it feels just like a $4,000 Luger.

Get something like this and shoot till your heart is content.

Curl

Roadster 02 07-09-2019 04:54 PM

I vote shoot

My vote is shoot, at least once. I would not shoot the collectibles consistently, but it's a shame for a gun to remain unable to do what it was made for, Heck, I even loaded up my original 1860 Army Colt with blackpowder and fired away. Bet that gun had not been fired since the late 1800's. It did fine. All my Lugers have done OK also. I echo the others in having a "shooter" Luger for a lot of 9mm or .30 ammo "disposal".

mrerick 07-09-2019 07:10 PM

I never shoot collectible firearms. Period.

They can, and regularly do sustain damage. You'll find photos and tales of woe if you search around some.

I keep a Luger and a P.38 especially for shooting. They are such that they won't much lose value if broken.

Later Mauser made guns have the best metallurgy, and often do make good shooters.

gunbugs 07-09-2019 08:12 PM

I shoot all my Lugers. BUT, before I go to the range, I swap out the firing pin and extractor for spares while I shoot. I only shoot Wincester White box, as it works well, and is cheap enough to make reloading pointless. But, take this opinion for what you've paid for it. I'm the guy who shoots a C&R Browning 50cal, or a nice G series FAL and doesn't worry about it.

Big Chris 07-10-2019 06:53 PM

Thank You, All!

I will definitely consider all of the options! I appreciate all the feedback!!!

Sergio Natali 07-11-2019 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CptCurl (Post 326656)
I have one of the Russian capture Lugers that were imported some years back. It's a Mauser Code 42, matching except for the toggle pin and hold-open. It looks like it received a Russian hot-dip blue job with no polishing. That's good because all lines and markings remain crisp. It functions perfectly. It's my shooter and lives in my range bag. It has no collector value and didn't cost a lot of money.

In the hand it feels just like a $4,000 Luger.

Get something like this and shoot till your heart is content.

Curl

I agree with Curl

I used to have a 1942 Mauser Luger, it was one of those a so called "Russian capture" in a very nice shape, and at the range it used to shoot very well too.