LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Early Lugers (1900-1906) (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Nice 1900 (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=30318)

SteveM 04-14-2013 09:37 AM

Nice 1900

I think he is reaching, even for the minimum bid. To bad for the slight "problem" that it has.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=336511739

lugersrkewl 04-14-2013 09:52 AM

:O someone try to shoot 9mm through it? or squib load? A little too pricy to throw non matching barrel on it and put in a case.

SteveM 04-14-2013 10:50 AM

9mm wouldn't chamber so more than likely a stuck bullet and then another round fired.

Sergio Natali 04-14-2013 11:53 AM

I agree with SteveM, some criminal probably fired a second bullet while the previous one had remained stuck in the barrel.

Ron Wood 04-14-2013 02:35 PM

It is a real shame about this 1900. It is a much better than average gun. If the barrel was as good as the rest of the gun, $2500 would be a decent buy. If it could be had for $1000-$1200 and rebarreled it would make an excellent representative piece for a beginning collection.

CJS57 04-14-2013 10:40 PM

Take it all the way, make it into a carbine.

Ron Wood 04-14-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJS57 (Post 232452)
Take it all the way, make it into a carbine.

Can't...no stock lug. In addition you would have to fabricate and attach a forearm extension for the frame, make a forearm, make a barrel with front sight ramp and rear 3-position sight and shave off the rear sight on the toggle. Even then you couldn't legally be allowed to attach a buttstock since it was not a carbine originally. Doesn't sound like a worthwhile project to me. :)

alvin 04-15-2013 05:14 PM

This gun will be hard to sell. The problem is not minor.

alanint 04-15-2013 06:39 PM

Make note of the serial number. This gun may very well turn up in a year or so with an intact, matching barrel.

CJS57 04-16-2013 06:36 AM

Send it to John Martz, he will fix it up and make it real nice for you! Love that patented soft silver "coin" sort of finish he does.

DavidJayUden 04-16-2013 08:39 AM

Ron:
So in your opinion, the carbines that the Lugerman is making are not legal since they begin life as a 4" gun?
Never thought of that...
dju

alanint 04-16-2013 08:46 AM

If they have a 16" barrel or are sold as a registered, short barreled rifle they are fine.

Ron Wood 04-16-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidJayUden (Post 232523)
Ron:
So in your opinion, the carbines that the Lugerman is making are not legal since they begin life as a 4" gun?
Never thought of that...
dju

As "alanint" has pointed out, Lugerman's carbines should have 16" barrels, and I think they do.

DavidJayUden 04-16-2013 01:43 PM

Makes sense.
So, for the sake of conversation, a WW1 4" gun, with the rear sight milled off, and with a repop. Artillery barrel with artillery sight is a SBR if used with an Artillery stock?
dju

ithacaartist 04-16-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidJayUden (Post 232535)
Makes sense.
So, for the sake of conversation, a WW1 4" gun, with the rear sight milled off, and with a repop. Artillery barrel with artillery sight is a SBR if used with an Artillery stock?
dju

Yes, if the barrel is less than 16"

I think it is also possible to re-install an artillery length barrel on one that was originally manufactured as LP.08, which had its barrel changed to one that is less than 4", add the stock, and have a C&R excluded gun. Easy to do with a DMW receiver with the notch on top front, as they were notched because they were made as artilleries. Not so with Erfurt, which notched every pistol frame, after a point, regardless of its final original configuration. Isn't it the case that some reference to what production data is avaliable can result in finding serials numbers within a range of those produced, of what configuration?

SteveM 04-16-2013 05:21 PM

I'm wondering if the barrel can be welded back up, turned on a lathe to get the correct contour and then rust blued. Of course it would be a non-shooting example but at least it would be preserved. It's in really fine shape except for the barrel.

Michael Zeleny 04-16-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithacaartist (Post 232540)
I think it is also possible to re-install an artillery length barrel on one that was originally manufactured as LP.08, which had its barrel changed to one that is less than 4", add the stock, and have a C&R excluded gun. Easy to do with a DMW receiver with the notch on top front, as they were notched because they were made as artilleries. Not so with Erfurt, which notched every pistol frame, after a point, regardless of its final original configuration. Isn't it the case that some reference to what production data is avaliable can result in finding serials numbers within a range of those produced, of what configuration?

Sorry to bear bad news, but any major mechanical modification negates the C&R status. I wouldn't even want to argue about a refinish.

ithacaartist 04-17-2013 08:18 AM

Uh, oh. I was thinking it would be a restoration, but I see the point.

Green57 04-17-2013 05:05 PM

Offer made, but it was a no go.

I offered to buy the pistol; however, the owner thinks it is listed at a far price and was not willing to go to the amount that Ron had suggested in his post. Not that I need another project mind you, but it would have been a nice fixer upper.

G57

Edward Tinker 04-17-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Zeleny (Post 232545)
Sorry to bear bad news, but any major mechanical modification negates the C&R status. I wouldn't even want to argue about a refinish.

I think it really depends on the degree of major modification / yes, I know what the regulations say.

Still, it just would negate the C&R status to 'modern' FFL standards.

that said; from the BATF
Quote:

Q: What modifications can be made on C&R firearms without changing their C&R classification?
The definition for curio or relic (“C & R”) firearms found in 27 CFR § 478.11 does not specifically state that a firearm must be in its original condition to be classified as a C&R firearm. However, ATF Ruling 85-10, which discusses the importation of military C&R firearms, notes that they must be in original configuration and adds that a receiver is not a C&R item. Combining this ruling and the definition of C&R firearms, the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) has concluded that a firearm must be in its original condition to be considered a C&R weapon.
It is also the opinion of FTB, however, that a minor change such as the addition of scope mounts, non-original sights, or sling swivels would not remove a firearm from its original condition. Moreover, we have determined that replacing particular firearms parts with new parts that are made to the original design would also be acceptable-for example, replacing a cracked M1 Grand stock with a new wooden stock of the same design, but replacing the original firearm stock with a plastic stock would change its classification as a C&R item.