LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Gun Show Announcements & Discussion (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   "Carol Watson" Auction (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=31913)

ithacaartist 01-03-2014 12:45 PM

"Carol Watson" Auction

Here is their Proxibid link. Several dozen Lugers--Lots of Swiss and a little bit of everything else...

(edit) Oops! The link: https://cwocauctions.proxibid.com/as....asp?aid=74601

drbuster 01-03-2014 09:21 PM

Carol Watson used to be a major force with Greg Martin. She and her partner Curt Keller are running the Orange Coast Auctions now. They have a wealth of experiance and knowledge in the gun auction game and should do very well.

AUTOLUKE 01-04-2014 09:29 AM

Does anyone on the site plan to attend ?

Phil

sheepherder 01-04-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUTOLUKE (Post 247437)

Phil

Hello and Welcome Phil! :cheers:

Are you associated with the CW-OCA auctions??? Or maybe just nearby??? :confused:

Hmmmmm...31 Lugers; one carbine; several Artilleries; one Navy...The way the description is worded, it is possible that the carbine is not original, though they don't come out and say 'repro'...The Navy is listed as 'restored'......

I have to say...the carbine looks rather...plain...

https://cwocauctions.proxibid.com/Au...llSize/709.jpg

Barrel under handguard marked ''Pac-LC1''

Maestro 01-04-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUTOLUKE (Post 247437)

Phil

Not with these fees :soapbox:

Quote:

Internet Premium: 17.5%
Sales Tax : 8% - Sales tax applied to invoice total, including Internet Premium.
Cash Payment Discount: 3%
California residents pay 8% sales tax

AUTOLUKE 01-05-2014 11:04 AM

Sheepherder

Not a member of any aucton house, but might be interested in a few of the Watson Lugers. Would only bid if a reliable member of this site was able to personally inspect the item.

Phil

drbuster 01-05-2014 11:46 AM

She is based in Anaheim, so one of our SoCal members may be interested.

sheepherder 01-05-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUTOLUKE (Post 247490)
Not a member of any aucton house, but might be interested in a few of the Watson Lugers. Would only bid if a reliable member of this site was able to personally inspect the item.

Phil

Phil, I wish you were associated with an auction house, as I have many questions. I wish ANY auction house officer would come in and explain their house's policies.

Also, it would help if you indicated in your profile where you live. City, location in the state, country if you're overseas, etc. Nearby members who're interested could then get in touch with you. I'd be happy to go with you to the auction if you'd pay my plane fare, motel room, and rental car. :D

AUTOLUKE 01-05-2014 02:31 PM

I hail from Massachusetts, so that a trip to CA would be prohibitive. Also, as stated in other messages , any auction purchase could be loaded with other costs, not to mention mystery buyers . This is my reason for hoping to find a reputable member who would actually inspect the merchandise.

Geo99 01-07-2014 09:45 PM

I bought from Carol Watson in 2013 and paid 12% fee.
Have they raised it?

mrerick 01-08-2014 11:25 AM

17.5% listed including 3% for credit cards plus other fees... Yes - it's quite expensive...

Arizona Slim 01-08-2014 05:54 PM

I spoke with a representative from Carol Watson's within the past year and she informed me, as many of you probably already know, that it is cheaper if you do not access her site and others using Proxibid as they add their fee. Just a thought.

Lon

alvin 01-09-2014 07:20 AM

They give 3% discount if paying cash. If go with them directly bypassing proxibid, that should save another 2.5%. So, 12%.

Original GMA was sold to HA, but former GMA people setup this CWOC. Not sure what HA actually bought then, they could not keep the people... probably just bought GMC's empty building?? Don't know the details, but it's easy to assume HA lost a lot of money in this acquisition. CWOC's description of items is usually not overstated, in former GMA's tradition. This is a great auction house.

Norme 01-09-2014 09:07 AM

"Original GMA was sold to HA, but former GMA people setup this CWOC. Not sure what HA actually bought then, they could not keep the people... probably just bought GMC's empty building?? Don't know the details, but it's easy to assume HA lost a lot of money in this acquisition. CWOC's description of items is usually not overstated, in former GMA's tradition. This is a great auction house."

This is not quite true, Heritage did not lose all the Greg Martin staff. Clifford Chapell, formerly of GMA, runs the firearm division at Heritage. His expertise is at least as great as the folks who left, greater, if Watson's description of the "1914 Navy" in their current auction is any guide.
It's true that Heritage Auctions fees are the highest in the business, but they are by far my favorite auction house. The only real bargains I've ever bought at auction have been from them, and they send me their magnificent catalogs free.
Regards, Norm

Ben M. 01-13-2014 06:31 PM

here is that m1914 discription:

Scarce Model 1914 Navy Luger Semi-Automatic Pistol, #5823b, 9mm, 6'' barrel, blue finish, straw small parts, checkered walnut grips, tin-plated wood based magazine, with concentric circles cut to each side of base. Unmarked chamber, DWM marked toggle link, two-position rear sight, crown-''M'' naval proofmarks, as well as Imperial Navy proofmarks, safety marked ''Gesichert'', extractor marked ''Geladen''. Seldom seen with only 8500 produced. Condition is excellent as professionally restored, and retaining approx. 95% blue with thinning to the highpoints of sideplate and at muzzle. Grips show minor flattening and some oil staining near front strap area. Action remains crisp, bore is excellent. Est.: $3,000-$5,000. (C&R)

alvin 01-26-2014 10:14 AM

This book:

https://cwocauctions.proxibid.com/as...le-Pistol-Book

I saw a collector listing a copy on EBAY a few months ago, only sold $170. Not much demand at that time. But this copy sold $600 before BP yesterday!!

Obviously, it's not a good idea to sell collector books on ebay. Or, it's not a good idea to buy collector books in conventional auction.

General feeling about this session -- market is recovering. Many people joined the session.

regul 01-26-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alvin (Post 248631)
This book:

https://cwocauctions.proxibid.com/as...le-Pistol-Book

I saw a collector listing a copy on EBAY a few months ago, only sold $170. Not much demand at that time. But this copy sold $600 before BP yesterday!!

Obviously, it's not a good idea to sell collector books on ebay. Or, it's not a good idea to buy collector books in conventional auction.

General feeling about this session -- market is recovering. Many people joined the session.

Alvin
Amazon has book #76 for $995.00.
Thanks
Ed