LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Hold Open Spring Replacement (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=40142)

Good-Day 01-06-2020 08:01 PM

Hold Open Spring Replacement

Good Day All,

Well i need to replace a Hold Open Spring

Got my replacement from SARCO and to say the least i'm feeling rather challenged on getting the new one installed

Last thing I want to do is break my matching Hold Open.

I couldn't find any tips, tutorial or instructions online

any tips you can offer?

Thanks!

Edward Tinker 01-06-2020 08:21 PM

They can be a pain and they can be easy - Sarco spring may be good or not.

However, you ensure there are not old pieces
then you get it lined up and I have found that pliers seem to work well in slowly squeezing it in and I have also lightly tapped them in with a small hammer

lugerholsterrepair 01-06-2020 08:21 PM

Yes! Take the old broken one out. Put the new one in. I have not had my hands on any SARCO parts for some time but I would bet it will be considerably out of spec. In other words since it won't fit, you might have a challenge getting a square peg into a round hole.

Start with getting the old out. The trick is to stabilize the hold open for the operation. To get control of it. Then you need a very tiny drift..one that will fit in the very tiny hole. Drift it out from right to left. It will slide out fairly easily I suspect. The problem is going to be getting the new SARCO spring in. Cause it likely won;t fit. But in the off chance it might. put it up to the hole and press it in with pliers to start. If it starts..lay it flat and tap in with a small tack hammer. Nothing magical about the process and with an original spring it would likely be easier than with a SARCO part.

Good-Day 01-06-2020 08:28 PM

Thanks Guys!

I'll give it a try

I'm certainly not going to try and force it.

If I cant get it i'll search for an original Spring to try

Not worth damaging the Hold Open over a few bucks

Vlim 01-07-2020 08:39 AM

I had some luck tapping the old broken spring out with the new spring as a guide, so tapping the new one in, while forcing the old one out at the same time.

Pretty sure it was luck rather than skill :)

Good-Day 01-07-2020 07:21 PM

Thanks for the Tips guys

Hold Open Installed and functioning just dandy

Very Slightly put a bevel on the entry side of the Spring
Held the Hold Open in a padded vise by the end ( 3rd hand )
Held the Spring in position and gave it a squeeze with a pair of pliers

Slid in smoothly

I did have to relieve ( bend slightly ) the Spring as it overpowered the Mag Follower

:)

As Vlim noted more than likely luck

lugerholsterrepair 01-08-2020 10:01 PM

Good job!