LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Krieghoff Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   43 Krieghoff pricing (ball park) info sought (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=31152)

mystical_tutor 09-11-2013 05:04 PM

43 Krieghoff pricing (ball park) info sought

7 Attachment(s)
I have a 43 Krieghoff that I intend to sell but it has been years since I was active in Luger collecting and am not even sure what all of mine are anymore--breaking out the books now.

I have found very little price information about post-40 Krieghoffs and would like some guidance.

Pictures are not the best, my Nikon coolpix is probably not very adiquate, at least in my hands-seems like past 70 they shake a lot.

As far as I can tell all numbers match. There is no number on the fireing pin or the finreing pin retainer or hold open device. Did not check the extractor. Magazine has a Krieghoff marked Al bottom, different SN and looks like the body is of a earlier era-folded steal.

Thanks in advance.

Gary Adkison, Major (USA-RET)

cirelaw 09-11-2013 05:31 PM

Found one~~http://www.rockislandauction.com/vie...id/53/lid/1370 found another http://www.rockislandauction.com/vie...id/53/lid/1370 Some reference for you! http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/...ic-pistol.aspx

lugerholsterrepair 09-11-2013 06:06 PM

Gary..There is no number on the fireing pin or the finreing pin retainer or hold open device.

Is there any markings on these? Eagle 2? Is the firing pin fluted? Have you looked at the sides or the underside of the hold open?

Is the serial # between 11.300 and 11.800?

Is the barrel and frame serialed?

Is the underneath of the sideplate serialed with last 2-3 digits?

Is the lever on the inside plate Eagle2?

Is the extension of the sideplate numbered last 2-3 digits? and Eagle 2?

RIA can have very fanciful descriptions..Not often accurate. Most of the 9MM Lugers for the Luftwaffe went to AA crews. Officers did not carry many although there were noteable exceptions as you indicate!

mystical_tutor 09-11-2013 06:07 PM

Thanks much, very interesting. Mine is not a set with a rig but at least I have an idea of what that migh go for. Mine is much more modist I think.

The historical information was interesting. I do wonder,and it is only conjecture on my part, but this line about Lugers being issued to "German Officers" often makes me scratch my head. I got the general impression in my previous days that Officers, at least field grade, disdained the Luger (yes I know about the picture of a Generaloberst Gruderian with a Luger; Still p111) in favor of smaller sidearms like PPks etc. I have heard so many stories over the last 50 years about capturing a Luger from an Officer that it just makes me wonder.
I know the Air force was different (they always are) but the historical account you posted just perked my ears again.... lOL

Nothing negative in that, just a muse.

Thanks for your time and the post.

Gary

mystical_tutor 09-11-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 240259)
Gary..There is no number on the fireing pin or the finreing pin retainer or hold open device.

Is there any markings on these? Eagle 2? Is the firing pin fluted? Have you looked at the sides or the underside of the hold open?

Good point Jerry, I did not remove the hold open or the sear to see if there were numbers in unseen locations. Hate doing anything with those leaf springs.

The fireing pin is fluted and I did not see any proofs on it or the retainer.

Also, is it normal to have a strawed take down lever on these? Seems like most everything had gone to bluing by this time.
Oh, and another question, the SN on the take down lever, though it matches, is on the upper side of it so it can not be seen when the gun is assembled. I don't recall seeing that before--but this is the only Krieghoff I have owned.

Gary

Bluff Lake 36 09-11-2013 06:15 PM

1943 Krieghoff

Gary - In the 6th Edition of Military Firearms (2011) your 1943 Krieghoff the price listed is - Exc. $4500 - V.G $3750 - Good $2200 - Fair $1500 - Poor $950. There were approximately 9,000 manufactured within the 4500-14000 serial number range.
At a gun show you can expect a discount of at least 40% from these prices from a dealer that might not know what a Krieghoff Luger is.
Where are you located and what gun show do you plan on going to?
Hope this helps.

lugerholsterrepair 09-11-2013 06:25 PM

Bill are you sure? I am looking at page 182 of The Krieghoff Parabellum by Randal Gibson, 300 made serialed between 11,300 and 11,800 You must have some serious misinformation. There's no way 9,000 1943 Krieghoffs were made! That would have been half their entire production! Check again.

Also, is it normal to have a strawed take down lever on these.. Yes, Krieghoff was not normal!

I did not remove the hold open or the sear to see if there were numbers in unseen locations. Hate doing anything with those leaf springs.

Gary, A good Friend bought your normal run of the mill 1937 Krieghoff, well, OK it was close to mint, I think he paid $6800 for it but I could be off a few hundred. During his inspection period he brought it to me for a thorough take down and authentication. At my bench I took it completely apart..most people would not do that to almost any Luger but if you want to actually authenticate a Krieghoff it is absolutely necessary to get a look at all the hidden numbers and Eagle 2 markings. Leaf springs, tiny drift pins, the works. The markings and numbers for the extractor are underneath necessitating taking it out..drift pin and spring. In his case everything checked out and I happily authenticated his Krieghoff.

I mention this because you need to know if your pistol is authentic and complete in order to know what an even ballpark price might be. Knowledge is power. If you know..you know. If you don't you may very well lose thousands of dollars that are rightfully yours.

Bluff Lake 36 09-11-2013 06:36 PM

1943 Krieghoff

Sorry should have put in the date of production - 1936-1945 for the approximately 9,000 manufactured.

cirelaw 09-11-2013 06:45 PM

Do we know its serial # It appears to be whited out for some reason??? ~~Eric

mystical_tutor 09-11-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cirelaw (Post 240269)
Do we know its serial # It appears to be whited out for some reason??? ~~Eric

Sorry Eric, From a thread in Navy Lugers I mentioned that I do not post SNs on the internet.

Gary

mystical_tutor 09-11-2013 08:53 PM

I think an assumption has creap in here. I am not taking my Lugers to a gun show to ask about values or try to sell to dealers. I have a table where folks can look at what I have and see if they are interested.

Gary

PS. Honest, I am doing this because I really need to. On the other hand, if I end up keeping one of my babies because I didn't get a good offer, well, I really won't cry, just don't tell my wife...... LOL

mystical_tutor 09-11-2013 09:16 PM

Just a note. I was quite confused by Randell's numbering information just after I bought his book while I was stationed at Ft. Hood TX. (he autographed and numbered it for me). I mean, even with my shoes on 11800-11300 = 500 not 300. When I asked him he politely explained that I should check the previous page (I was looking at p.75) and note that there were 40s, 41s, 42s, 43s, and 44s all in that serial range and there is no order to the numbers by chamber dates. I felt like a total dumb a...
I noted that Still in his more recient work list 21 as the number of known examples of a 43 chamber date. This equals what Gibson has. I was able to provide Gibson with two additional numbers that I observed in Fort Worth gun shows (circa '82). Bringing it up to 23. I would assume more have been found in the last 20 years.

Gary

mystical_tutor 09-12-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 240259)

Is the serial # between 11.300 and 11.800?

Is the barrel and frame serialed?

Is the underneath of the sideplate serialed with last 2-3 digits?

Is the lever on the inside plate Eagle2?

Is the extension of the sideplate numbered last 2-3 digits? and Eagle 2?

Jerry; I missed this post. It popped into the thread above a post I made and i didn't notice it till today. sorry for the delay in answering.

Yes to all the above except #1 The FP is fluted and there are no proofs on the pin or retainer, the HOD is proofed.

Thanks

Gary

mystical_tutor 09-12-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluff Lake 36 (Post 240262)
Gary - In the 6th Edition of Military Firearms (2011) your 1943 Krieghoff the price listed is - Exc. $4500 - V.G $3750 - Good $2200 - Fair $1500 - Poor $950. There were approximately 9,000 manufactured within the 4500-14000 serial number range.
At a gun show you can expect a discount of at least 40% from these prices from a dealer that might not know what a Krieghoff Luger is.
Where are you located and what gun show do you plan on going to?
Hope this helps.

Thanks much for your efforts. I am not familiar with that work but will look it up. The Blue Book list prices as:
98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
$10,000 $8,000 $6,000 $4,150 $3,350 $2,750

I am not sure how the comparisons between Poor-Exc. coralate to percentages--even after reading the grading guide in the BBoGV

I live in Colorado and am planning on going to the show in Colorado Springs this weekend and the Denver show next month.

Thanks again

Gary