LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All P-08 Military Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   A little info a Luger I just acquired (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41378)

LandonColt33 09-29-2021 08:19 AM

A little info a Luger I just acquired

10 Attachment(s)
First I want to say I’m new here. Been a local shooting forum for years, avoid shooter armature collector but not well versed Lugers, I just like them.

My grandpa recently gave me a couple Lugers and one seems to be a 1941 BYF. He doesn’t know much of a backstory just that he has had it for years. I will post photos of it. If there is anything I should get better photos of let me know. All the numbers including the grips match and I don’t see any import marks anywhere. Any way into the photos and time to educate. Also I have fired it several years ago.

LandonColt33 09-29-2021 08:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Additional photos

4 Scale 09-29-2021 11:15 AM

Welcome. You have a P 08 made in Oberndorf Germany by Mauser for the German Army. The 'byf' lettering on the toggle is a code designating Mauser. The pitting is significant on the one side; most holster experts advise do not store the pistol in the holster to prevent oxidation. I can't tell if the finish is original or not from the photos (original is better from a value standpoint). Photos of the magazine and its base would be helpful to establish type and originality.

Holster looks original and appropriate for the pistol, but I'm not a holster collector so hopefully someone will be by to confirm/comment on it.

Be sure to check the FAQ, lots of good information there.

Mac Cat 09-29-2021 09:29 PM

The pitting looks like the gun laid in water, maybe even salt water for a long time.
It looks like it was refinished, but I agree that better photos would help (outside in sunlight).
It's a nice kit - pistol, holster and tool.

BTW: My grandfather left me a 1942 byf with holster and tool.

LandonColt33 09-29-2021 10:01 PM

I was told and I can’t be sure but was told the pitting might have been from blood. The grip also look to have dark stains so it did cross my mind it might be right but I don’t know

ithacaartist 09-30-2021 12:24 AM

Blood will remove the finish in the blink of an eye, but it takes a while for pitting to develop to this extent, and I think bad storage is more likely the culprit. The "blood" claim is not rare, but generally more in the realm of urban legend--as a rule of thumb--unless there is provenance/documentation. The old saying goes, "Buy the gun, not the story."

Vlim 09-30-2021 01:29 AM

The loading tool is a fake.

mrerick 09-30-2021 09:09 AM

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your Lugers.

I have a late Mauser made Luger with finish damage on one side like yours. It's my shooter Luger, and I think that these Mauser Lugers make excellent shooters, especially when they are all matching like this.

The damage may have occurred while stored in the holster so consider storing them separately.

We publish a good FAQ reference document; please download a copy - you'll find it useful.

lugerholsterrepair 09-30-2021 11:45 AM

The damage may have occurred while stored in the holster so consider storing them separately. There is NO damage to the holster?

spangy 09-30-2021 12:42 PM

When i saw this post the other day my immediate reactions were the same as Vlim's, Jerry's and ithacaartist's.

I found myself wishing that this Luger could talk and tell its real story.

I swear to God; if I hear another story along the lines of 'my buddies dad was a Navy Seal who shot and killed an SS officer protecting Hitler is his bunker and got blood and guts all over the gun and holster' I will sell my entire Luger collection in disgust.
To LandonColt33's credit he did NOT give us the whole story his pal told him (good instincts there) so thank you for that.

Lugers are magnificent in their nature and their engineering is one of the most brilliant masterpieces of all time ... they DO NOT need embellishment by fairy tales to justify their existence.

YES this gun has seen better days but it is still a Luger and as such is beautiful by that fact alone.

Thanks for sharing LandonColt33 and Welcome to the Forum :thumbup:

Sieger 10-01-2021 03:25 AM

Spanky,

There were no Navy Seals in WWII, FYI.

Sieger

Doubs 10-01-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieger (Post 341340)
Spanky, There were no Navy Seals in WWII, FYI. Sieger

NEVER allow facts to get in the way of a good story. LOL

spangy 10-01-2021 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieger (Post 341340)
Spanky,

There were no Navy Seals in WWII, FYI.

Sieger

OMG Sieger :roflmao: ... It's called sarcasm ... of course there were no Navy seals in WWII, it was included to emphasize the absurdity of some of the 'stories' people make up to flog their guns. FYI :rolleyes:

And who the hell is Spanky ????

Sieger 10-01-2021 08:24 PM

Spangy,

Sorry for the misspelling; though this, at least, is the second time i have committed this unforgivable sin!!!

FYI, Spanky was the stage name of a child actor in the 1930s comedy series "Our Gang".

Sieger