LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Please talk to me about this mag (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=35699)

Eugen 05-17-2016 06:15 PM

Please talk to me about this mag

5 Attachment(s)
When I recently purchased my 1939 Luger with military stampings, it came with two mags.

I need help understanding this one mag. I referenced a few books I recently purchased but did not obtain all the information I had hoped. The mag is either bare steel or nickeled. I can't tell the difference. From my limited understanding and research it appears to be an older style mag with the round spring. The casing has no stampings or proof marks. I hope I am using the proper terms here.

Is the script stamp an "L" or "e"?

I understand the "+" is a spare mag.

What does the small stick looking eagle mean? If you can't see it from the photo it appears to look like a Christian cross with three stick feathers on two drooping wings. Below it is a "154" stamping. A Eugen Bender book I have has a photo of one very similar bottom except for the serial number, but the only info listed suggests that it is a Mauser inspection mark from 1934 to 1940. Does this sound right?

Any other comments on this mag would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Edward Tinker 05-17-2016 07:35 PM

it is an eagle 135 - I think G date era?

it would be Mauser era, Joop and Don Hallocks book is the easiest book on Mausers to look up magazine acceptance markings

GMD 05-17-2016 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Eugen,

It is indeed a Mauser 154 G-date (1935) suffix 'b'.

Gary

Eugen 05-17-2016 08:10 PM

Boom! Ed and Gary, you guys are great. So the suffix thing that I thought was an "L" or "e" is actually a "b"?! I see. Amazing.

Thank you for answering my question. - Don

DonVoigt 05-17-2016 11:24 PM

Eugen,
one has to look with a blank mind to see those script letters, it would be an "L" except for that tiny little curl at the lower right!(My mind is frequently blank, so no problem for me.:))

Evidently there are no "L" suffixes to be found on G date or E/154 mags.

There is a sticky somewhere with all this info on it, someone may have the link handy!

Eugen 05-18-2016 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 288613)
Eugen,
one has to look with a blank mind to see those script letters, it would be an "L" except for that tiny little curl at the lower right!(My mind is frequently blank, so no problem for me.:))

Evidently there are no "L" suffixes to be found on G date or E/154 mags.

There is a sticky somewhere with all this info on it, someone may have the link handy!

Don, you are correct about the cryptic German scripting on those "suffixes". I recall seeing a list of those somewhere and they are mind boggling. However, I was, for whatever reason, focused on the eagle symbol and the 154. I used my Gene Bender book entitled Holsters and accessories, and the Goetz and Sturgess three volume set that I recently acquired to research. (In case you are wondering, yes, I made a rookie error in buying the green edition instead of the red edition. :( I am learning fast though.)

I forgot to mention in my initial post that my 1942 was a Mauser "42" marked luger. I understood that neither mag 'matched' the gun, but I was at least hoping the mags were close to the period of the luger's manufacture and being military proofed.

Thanks again to all that contributed to properly identifying this mag for me. :thumbup:

Caferacer 11-12-2016 07:55 PM

Thanks for the excellent pics, l have a G date (1935) 7463d mag and have been searching for pics of the #4 font, to compare, but having three out of four (476) is even better!