LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Shooting and Reloading (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   9mm ammo (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=38955)

DavidJayUden 09-29-2018 01:56 PM

9mm ammo

Just bought a case of this stuff and tried some out at the range. Only fired 15 rounds thru my 1936 P08 shooter, but got perfect function and better accuracy than I deserve. No problems in the other three 9's I tried either.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/barna...ox-lacquered-s

Sieger 09-29-2018 05:52 PM

David,

Lugers were not designed for steel cases, as they were designed with a stepped chamber (for one thing).

In fact, only brass cased ammo marked "Nur fur Pistole 08", "for P-08 pistols only" was so marked and issued by the Germans throughout WWII.

Coupled with, no doubt, overloaded velocity; this ammo could cause you some real mechanical problems, if shot through a Luger regularly.

I'd save this ammo for a more modern 9mm pistol.

Sieger

Major Tom 09-30-2018 09:38 AM

Do all 9mm lugers have "stepped" chambers? My 1939 chamber doesn't seem to have that.

Sieger 09-30-2018 04:22 PM

Major Tom,

Yes, all original Lugers have the stepped chamber, as this was considered an advanced design feature (aids in sealing the case to the chamber walls).

Remakes, including the Interarms models from the 1970s and the stainless steel knock-offs do not.

I don't know about the new .45 recreations, but I would suspect that they do also.

Hope this helps.

Sieger

kurusu 09-30-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieger (Post 319505)
Major Tom,

Yes, all original Lugers have the stepped chamber.

Remakes, including the Interarms copies from the 1970s and the stainless steel knock-offs do not.

I don't know about the new .45 recreations, but I would suspect that they do also.

Hope this helps.

Sieger

Mauser stopped using stepped chambers in 1942.

Sieger 09-30-2018 10:15 PM

Kurusu,

Perhaps.

I've "read" this too, somewhere, but have never been able to verify it.

Can an expert here verify this claim, through an actual, physical chamber examination of a byf 42?

Also, I haven't been able to locate any original German text documentation supporting this.

Thanks!

Sieger

DonVoigt 10-01-2018 08:41 AM

I'm no "expert" but I have looked at late Mauser chambers that do not have the step.
The drawing or order showing its elimination is in the Goertz and Sturgess book,IIRC; but I have seen it in the original form somewhere.

4 Scale 10-01-2018 09:16 AM

Out of curiosity I just inspected my 1942 byf s/n 2611g and it has a stepped chamber. Per Hallock and van de Kant in The Mauser Parabellum, this s/n is about mid-point of the 1942 production run. My '36, '38, and '40 Mausers also have stepped chambers.

Another concern vs. the ammo in the OP would be if the primers are corrosive or not.

DavidJayUden 10-01-2018 09:49 AM

"Another concern vs. the ammo in the OP would be if the primers are corrosive or not."

Non-corrosive primers, standard velocity, 115 gr. FMJ, and it functions perfectly.

But by all means, go ahead and rationalize spending twice as much for what is functionally the same thing. After all, it's your money.

dju

4 Scale 10-01-2018 10:31 AM

If the round chambers correctly and the specs are correct I can't see how this would damage a Luger.

Vlim 10-01-2018 10:46 AM

Even if the initial signs are good, I would not put any Russian crap in my guns. Not only because of poor QA, but also because it's Russian. This particular brand has a tendancy to show up in conflict zones across the globe as well. Preferred supplier of the average terrorist. An economy I don't like to support in any way.

Google MH17 ...

flydive 10-01-2018 02:13 PM

Yes, you will never find European or American guns or ammunition in conflict zones...

Well, yes, if you find it is only in the hands of the good guys

:rolleyes:

DonVoigt 10-01-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flydive (Post 319543)
Yes, you will never find European or American guns or ammunition in conflict zones...

Well, yes, if you find it is only in the hands of the good guys

:rolleyes:

That't a joke, right?:confused:

Vlim 10-01-2018 03:28 PM

Actually it's not far from the truth. A few AR style rifles were found in IS territory, but these were mostly show guns for high ranking officers, as they hardly had .223 available.

The Russian ammo was there in abundance, however... even commercial packaged AK ammo from Barnauld and the likes.

The fact that the Russian gov't loaned anti aircraft missiles to Ukrainian insurgents who used one to shoot down a Malaysian airliner filled with mostly Dutch holidaymakers and tried to cover this up, rather than accept responsibility for it, doesn't help either.

flydive 10-01-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 319544)
That't a joke, right?:confused:

More a bit of sarcasm than a joke.

But Vlim really seems to believe it

rhuff 10-01-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidJayUden (Post 319484)
Just bought a case of this stuff and tried some out at the range. Only fired 15 rounds thru my 1936 P08 shooter, but got perfect function and better accuracy than I deserve. No problems in the other three 9's I tried either.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/barna...ox-lacquered-s

David,

I have purchased a fair amount of ammo from SGAMMO, and have been happy with their operation. Only 1-2 weeks ago, SGAMMO had a two(2) day only sale on PMC 115gr FMJ 9mm ammo, and I couldn't pass it up. This ammo works great in my Lugers and one other ammo sensitive weapon. Glad to hear that your purchase has been a success for you in your weapons.....always a nice feeling to make a good choice!! The price was certainly attractive, and would be popular for 9mm "buzz gun" owners. :)

DavidJayUden 10-01-2018 04:30 PM

I can't really reload FMJ ammo for that price.
It's a win-win.

Vlim 10-01-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flydive (Post 319546)
More a bit of sarcasm than a joke.

But Vlim really seems to believe it

I read the reports on small arms finds in former IS territory. Mostly Russian, some Chinese and very few US guns.

kurusu 10-01-2018 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieger (Post 319515)
Kurusu,

Perhaps.

I've "read" this too, somewhere, but have never been able to verify it.

Can an expert here verify this claim, through an actual, physical chamber examination of a byf 42?

Also, I haven't been able to locate any original German text documentation supporting this.

Thanks!

Sieger

I read it too. But to me the proof is:

A friend of mine (retired militay) has one of our contract byf 42s (n block). It has conic chambers and it has never been messed with.

Vlim 10-01-2018 05:50 PM

Mauser worked on a request by the army and developed a hand reamer for the job. But since the P08 was already near the end of production in 1942, not much importance was given to the project.

Factory documents on the subject did survive.

Portuguese 5012m also has no step.