LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   P08 Trigger Lever Pin Broke - Help (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=36211)

Hawk62 10-01-2016 10:40 PM

P08 Trigger Lever Pin Broke - Help

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all, several months ago, I posted about my well worn, plexiglass handled Luger:
http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...189#post282189

Thanks to many on this board, that Luger was transformed into a nice shooter. But today, it broke.:(

We were at the range (I think the 4th time since the gun was refurbished), shooting 115gr target loads as usual. After a shot, the action only came up a quarter of the way, and would not come up any further.

Brought it home, dis-assembled it and found that the trigger lever pin broke.

Is this common?

What causes this, just fatigue of a 75 year old gun?

Should I be concerned, or just replace it?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

sheepherder 10-01-2016 10:55 PM

I would not be concerned. It is a piece under some slight tension to hold it in place, and may well have just broke from fatigue ["old age"]. :D

Tom Heller [Lugerdoc here on the forum] should have those pins in stock. If not, I just noticed today that Apex has them. I was surprised that Apex had any Luger parts, but live & learn. :p

It's interesting that it somehow jammed the sear/action. Maybe it got stuck under the trigger lever???

Lugerdoc 10-02-2016 12:57 PM

i have both originals and new repros in stock. PM sent. TH

Edward Tinker 10-02-2016 01:09 PM

Not common in breaking, but i have had them 'worn' and bent.

Just part of shooting I am sure :)

CAP Black 10-02-2016 01:10 PM

I never realized that that part, separately, could be replaced. Sounds interesting.
Thanks
Jack

lugerholsterrepair 10-02-2016 02:07 PM

Jack, Push the broken piece out with a drift. It has to be pushed into the plate to come out.

These were hardened and if the tensil strength is too hard they simply crack like glass. I have seen quite a few broken.

Olle 10-02-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 294208)
These were hardened and if the tensil strength is too hard they simply crack like glass. I have seen quite a few broken.

When you replace the pin, you may have to force it a bit to make it snap in place. This could possibly be enough to crack a pin that's too hard. Whatever the cause may have been, there's no reason for concern. Just replace it and keep on shooting. :cool:

Eugen 10-02-2016 07:17 PM

Hawk62, it would appear that you got great answers to your questions. Plus I learned from reading the advice. I love how helpful folks on this are in solving problems.

DonVoigt 10-03-2016 01:41 PM

In an "emergency" or being lazy, you can just put a touch of blue loctite on the inside boss, let it set and shoot on; the curved part only holds the axle in place.

When you get a replacement just drift out the pin as Jerry says, use a hair dryer to heat first and it will be easier.

CaliforniaMike 12-16-2016 09:21 AM

You can use 3/32" steel rod and peen one end of an approx. 3/8" long piece and then blue the rod. Push the new peened pin in from the outer side of the side frame and the take down lever will hide and prevent the pin from coming out. You have not modified your gun and it has worked for me after several hundred rds. Mine is a 1940/42 "Black Widow" model that looks like it did the day it was made.

sheepherder 12-16-2016 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaMike (Post 296706)
You can use 3/32" steel rod...

That would be an excellent 'field expedient' repair, but maybe not for long term use. 3/32" is .0938" and the Luger blueprint calls for 2.5mm rod = .0984". ~.004" doesn't sound like much but it's that much more slack in the trigger chain. Pin inside trigger lever = .004"; pin inside trigger plate is another .004". So that's .008" slack - the thickness of two sheets of ruled notebook paper. :rolleyes:

You're shooting a slacker! :p (Back To The Future II!) :D

CaliforniaMike 12-16-2016 01:29 PM

Sheepherder's remark is why I usually don't post to any forum and probably will never again. I was just trying to give the first writer a fix that is easy and works. .004" of play in the trigger lever is probably impossible to notice since older original pins have some wear anyway. I am not shooting a slacker, I am shooting a gun that the pin will probably outlast yours.

sheepherder 12-17-2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaMike (Post 296719)
Sheepherder's remark is why I usually don't post to any forum and probably will never again....

I don't know why - I said it was an excellent field expedient repair. You probably won't get any better compliments on this forum - Collectors don't like anything non-original. :rolleyes:

Loosen up dude - and if you're interested in Luger repair, John Sabato sells a CD with the complete P08 blueprints on it. Check the For Sale forum. ;)

DonVoigt 12-17-2016 10:16 AM

Quote:

Sheepherder's remark is why I usually don't post to any forum and probably will never again. I was just trying to give the first writer a fix that is easy and works. .004" of play in the trigger lever is probably impossible to notice since older original pins have some wear anyway. I am not shooting a slacker, I am shooting a gun that the pin will probably outlast yours.

CA Mike,
Sheepherder is an engineer/machinist and thinks in half thousandts; so cut him some slack, please.:cool:

Your suggestion is just fine, I have used fractional bits and rods for luger pins when I didn't have the correct metric size, most times they work just fine.

One can always "finish" the repair when the correct piece is available.

You will notice that he(Rich) and I go at it from time to time- in good spirit- and to challenge ourselves to think out side of the box.

Welcome to you and keep posting!:thumbup:

CaliforniaMike 12-17-2016 12:13 PM

I guess the part about shooting a "slacker" got to me when it shouldn't have. I still have the original pin, but like shooting this gun and not having any worries about the original pin falling out. I actually got some new stock of 2.5mm rod and have already made a new pin which fits better. I have already been out at the range this morning shooting and enjoying the gun. I have no problems with sheepherder and his precise standards.

Edward Tinker 12-17-2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

I understand when people tear apart your new luger and its embarrassing - No reason to let Rich's comment get to you, he is all heart, hey, anyone that rescues dogs through the years must be okay.

Imagine a bunch of guys sitting around a fire on a hunting trip or your house playing cards. Everyone will throw out their thoughts. I listen to all of them, some I will ignore, but keep in the back of my head. Some I will try and use 'next time'.

Comments to your posting should not be taken as an attack. If it is, moderators or fellow forum members will usually tell them to back off. Sheepharder was just trying to re-affirm what you said, but from a different angle...

:biggulp:

sheepherder 12-18-2016 12:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaMike (Post 296762)
I guess the part about shooting a "slacker" got to me when it shouldn't have.

If you'd noticed my reference to BTTF2 you'd have recognized the term 'shooting the slacker'. In BTTF2, Vice-Principle Strickland is awakened by Marty and comes out with a shotgun. A car full of his former students drives by and they open fire on Strickland and he returns fire, yelling that they are still 'slackers'. He's shooting the slackers... Pics attached. :rolleyes: It's a play on words for your undersize pin.

It's called humor, and there is a definite lack of it on this forum. Most people here wouldn't recognize a joke if it bit them. Sad, really. :(

ithacaartist 12-18-2016 12:30 AM

The Houston-made stainless Lugers use a simple rolled spring /tension pin which holds itself in place.

DonVoigt 12-18-2016 01:06 AM

Rich,
I've never seen nor heard tell of that movie. I didn't think much of the first one, had no desire to see the second. JMHO.

As far as I know a "slacker" is a person who works hard at avoiding working at all costs. ;)

Humor has to be recognizable to be funny- doesn't it?:p