LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All P-08 Military Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Luger identification and value (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41498)

Fracs 11-28-2021 09:29 PM

Luger identification and value

7 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, just got my first luger and I would love to know more about it. All I know is that it's numbers matching with a matching magazine. Any help is appreciated

Not sure why it keeps flipping the images? Sorry about that but it won't revert?

Doubs 11-29-2021 12:47 AM

Welcome to the forum. You have a 1941 Mauser made Luger. "byf" was Mauser's code assigned to keep the manufacturer's identity a secret. Over the course of their period of making Lugers, Mauser was assigned several codes and "byf" was one of them. The "hump" on the back of the frame is also a characteristic of Mauser Lugers although in some years the hump wasn't used. The black plastic grips makes yours a "Black Widow" Luger, a term commonly used but is not official. A well known Luger seller named Ralph Shattuck first used the name to improve sales. The name stuck. You have a Mauser Luger that is desirable and an excellent first choice.

To record your Luger, write down the serial number as 2118u. The suffix letter on the frame is part of the serial number. Also record the chamber marking 41 and the toggle marking byf. Why? Because serial number 2118u was made more than once but in different years so the chamber and toggle are marked differently.

Mac Cat 11-29-2021 09:21 AM

That's a really nice luger!
Congratulations!

You'll find that just taking good pictures of a luger is a big challenge.

Fracs 11-29-2021 09:54 AM

Appreciate the info

Edward Tinker 11-29-2021 01:24 PM

welcome to the forum - I have found that if you slightly crop the picture, then save, then upload, it will no longer be wonky crooked, but what you have is fine.

sdmark777 11-29-2021 01:58 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Here ya go. Welcome.

mrerick 11-29-2021 03:43 PM

Hi Brian, and welcome to the forum.

You have a nice honest 41 date byf Mauser Luger in original finish. It's helpful to see nice sharp photos like the ones you posted. If you look inside the trigger side plate you'll probably see the digits "22" lightly stamped on the flat in there.

If you would like, download a copy of our FAQ PDF document. It has a great deal of reference information that you'll find useful, and it's free. Just follow the "FAQ" link at the top of every forum page.

Fracs 11-29-2021 03:50 PM

Awesome guys, appreciate everyone's help

MFC 11-29-2021 09:24 PM

Hi Brian
Welcome to the forum.
You stated that the magazine matches. Do you mean it is numbered to the pistol or, is it a blank black bakelite bottom like the grips?
Can you show some pictures of it?

Fracs 12-02-2021 10:54 AM

I'll get a pic when I get home tonight. It's numbered to the pistol