LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Krieghoff Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   What's it worth guys (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=30126)

KATOOM37 03-11-2013 03:06 PM

What's it worth guys

8 Attachment(s)
Helping a neighbor who doesn't know guns very well. He wants to get an accurate value for this Luger his dad brought back from WWII. The holster is pretty worn and is dated 1939. There are two mags with it but neither match the gun or each other. Also, the pictures do not show it but there is no date on top of the reciever like most I have seen.

Any help is much appreciated.

I have more pictures in my album.

spartacus38 03-11-2013 03:50 PM

Also please show the markings on the bottoms of the mags.
Bob

KATOOM37 03-11-2013 04:49 PM

Mag #1 - Aluminum bottom, S/N 4732, no other markings

Mag #2 - Wood bottom, S/N 7545, with a cursive lower case L and a plus sign underneath the S/N

Sorry didn't get a pic of that....

Ben M. 03-11-2013 04:55 PM

one for sale: http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...18aa90b1aab41e

this shop will also do an appraisal if you and your friend are near illinois state. probably do not want to risk sending such a costly gun in mail in case it get lost.

alanint 03-11-2013 07:04 PM

Your commercial Krieghoff "P" Code pistol is stunning and rare. It is in better shape than the Simpson offering. The only downside is no matching mag.

lugersrkewl 03-11-2013 07:08 PM

coudnt find that serial in gibson

mrerick 03-11-2013 07:43 PM

Ernie,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your neighbor has a very rare and very valuable Luger in what appears to be exceptionally good original finish and condition.

It would be very helpful to see pictures of all markings on the magazines and any others on the holster.

One like this should be individually appraised by an experienced appraiser with a good background in Krieghoff Lugers. Ben already mentioned Simpson's Ltd in Illinois.

My best guess is somewhere in five figures. Probably closer to $20,000. I am not an experienced Krieghoff appraiser.

Marc

lugerholsterrepair 03-11-2013 08:06 PM

Hard to say with the economy the way it is..the last one of these I know about sold for $25,000 here in Arizona about 5-6 years ago.

I authenticated that one and have done several Krieghoffs since. It was discussed on the Jan Still forum and some collectors thought it was a fake. I went through that pistol with a fine tooth comb and if it was fake I would dearly love to shake the hand of the man who did it. That would be an honor. If it was fake which I don't believe.
Not many people are knowledgeable enough to authenticate these or any Krieghoff for that matter. It is necessary to dismantle many of the hidden parts looking for markings and numbers. Comparing fonts etc. to what should be there. I am unsure who I would recommend for this.. Off the top of my head I can't think of many people I think could do it or that I would trust for any accuracy.
Ben already mentioned Simpson's Ltd in Illinois. I doubt there is an experienced appraiser with a good background in Krieghoff Lugers there. If there is one who is he? He is hiding from the Luger collecting field...
Dwight Gruber comes to mind. Ron Wood is a likely candidate..George Anderson too. What would be ideal is to have 2 or 3 people in one place to brainstorm it! Any three of these Gentlemen could make their own recommendations I am sure.
Anyway it's quite a find. Congratulations to your Friend.

Ron Wood 03-11-2013 08:41 PM

John Dunkle, owner of the LugerForum has probably handled more Krieghoffs than most folks.

lugerholsterrepair 03-11-2013 08:43 PM

Ron..YES! Forgot about John completely. He would be the one for sure. He is so quiet most of the time...Probably a couple of others I forgot about too..

From the photo of the holster..it's pretty rough. Not a whole lot of value there unless I could see more?

KATOOM37 03-11-2013 10:51 PM

Anybody know what John Dunkle's handle is here on the forum? Having a hard time finding him.

lugerholsterrepair 03-11-2013 10:55 PM

john@reutterwerk.com

Try this..John Owns this Forum so he probably reads most postings..

Ron Wood 03-11-2013 11:23 PM

His "handle" is "John D."

Curly1 03-12-2013 08:52 AM

That is very nice!

ithacaartist 03-12-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly1 (Post 230667)
That is very nice!

I heartily agree. I don't know much about the Kreighoffs, primarily just that I'll likely never have the funds to collect one. Your posting is a two-edged sword--Happy to see a posting about a nice Kreighoff, but, here we go again, gotta get out the drool bucket!

D.P.

KATOOM37 03-12-2013 01:07 PM

Mags

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the replies guys!
Here is a picture of the magazine bottoms.

mrerick 03-12-2013 02:49 PM

Is the brown one wood or some kind of composite material.

If the strike at the top is the digit "1", the other one is a police magazine, but I don't see the proof marks...

Marc

KATOOM37 03-12-2013 04:08 PM

Yes, brown is wood. The other does not appear to be a strike mark I think it is just a casting flaw