LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Artillery Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   1918 luger and loading drum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41135)

Detroit-1 05-19-2021 11:54 AM

1918 luger and loading drum

10 Attachment(s)
A friend has this. What can you guys tell him about it.

Detroit-1 05-19-2021 11:59 AM

10 Attachment(s)
More

Detroit-1 05-19-2021 12:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Pictures

lugerholsterrepair 05-19-2021 12:31 PM

The Artillery pistol is a mixed bag of commercial and military parts. Is there any kind of serial number on the underside of the barrel? There is none on the front of the frame and their should be. It has either been removed or was never put on. I ain't no lawyer but this may put this pistol in a questionable legal status. The pistol has GERMANY stamped along the left side rail. It was likely imported into the USA during the mid 20's.

Does the stock iron have any serial number in the metal? The stock looks original and consistent with the pistol. Does the stock slip on and lock onto the pistol?

Detroit-1 05-19-2021 01:01 PM

I did not see any serial numbers on the gun. Yes the stock goes on.

Detroit-1 05-19-2021 01:05 PM

What about the the drum and tools? Original?

lugerholsterrepair 05-19-2021 01:11 PM

Yes, Both look original.

Ron Wood 05-19-2021 02:27 PM

That AEG loader is a choice item.
Ron

gunnertwo 05-19-2021 04:03 PM

The frame should have a serial number. It doesn't look refinished and the frame and toggle train match in alignment. So, it's a mystery that remains to be resolved. Don't worry about the serial number as there was not a requirement to have one until the 1968 Gun Control Act. Removal of a serial number is illegal if done for an unlawful act. Is the stock numbered? I agree with Ron, the trommel mag and loader are nice.

G2

lugerholsterrepair 05-19-2021 04:30 PM

Don't worry about the serial number as there was not a requirement to have one until the 1968 Gun Control Act. Removal of a serial number is illegal if done for an unlawful act.

Again, I stress "problematicle" How does one log in a pistol with no serial? How does one report it stolen? Who can say if it was "removed" in an unlawful act? Who can explain if it was removed or never put on? How do you run it through a data base of guns reported stolen?

No matter what can or cannot be said about it..it ain't there and it's not a pistol I would be interested in just because it ain't there. Givin the lunkheads in the ATF it could be percieved enough of a problem to invite scrutiny and employment of a defense lawyer to explain away what we know but they don't. Just sayin.

gunnertwo 05-19-2021 04:39 PM

What Jerry said is correct. It should have a number and there are issues related to that fact. But there were thousands of firearms made without serial numbers prior to 1968. They were put into dealers books as NSN, and were put through the NICS checks as NSN. It just depends on who wants to make it an issue. Unfortunately, a nice gun that was ruined by not having the serial.

G2

ithacaartist 05-20-2021 02:30 AM

Here's an idea. The front of the frame below the barrel where the serial number once was looks severely ground down to me...so much, in fact, that I suspect this Franken-artillery may have been slapped together on an early long frame that was ground to be flush with the upper. One thing's certain--the frame never left the factory like that. Moreover it had to have been refinished at some point to cover up the grinding. All re-blues are not equal, and sometimes it's hard to spot a vintage replacement finish. And finally, the receiver doesn't appear in the close-up or that area to have been relieved to allow the lowest position of the rear sight.