LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic & Other Firearms (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Why is Glock so Hot???? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=27900)

padredan 03-07-2012 07:32 PM

Why is Glock so Hot????

I do not get it, why are glock pistols so sought after? they shoot ok and are reliable, but i find nothing special about them. I own several, they are utilty and pretty basic. Good guns?? sure Great naa, yesterday i listed a glock model 19 compact, 9mm for sale on a regional web site that allows you to sell firearms, today my phone never stopped ringing, guy that bought it, drove out to a remote well site to buy it. i just do not get it. Why are glocks so hot?

nukem556 03-07-2012 08:08 PM

I dunno...never figured it out myself. They are very reliable, and a lot of folks follow what the cops do, and Glock owns the police market. I could never get over the butt-ugly look and the greasy feel of the grips, but hey, thats me. They're not very tolerant of reloads, and I personally know of 2 that blew apart using cast bullet loads. I own over 30 handguns, and if I had to grab one in dire straits, it would be my good old Browning Hi-Power...I know where it hits, it never malfunctions, and it fits like a glove.

kmichaels90 03-07-2012 08:18 PM

Why are glocks so hot? Because there dishwasher safe. Joking aside I really dont know I have large hands and still find them uncomfortable,and there ugly as sin. If I were to buy another plasti-gun it would be a springfield XD in .45acp. I really shouldnt have sold the one I had.

mrerick 03-07-2012 08:42 PM

I know of 6 accidents (most including police officers) whereby people shot themselves with Glocks when they dropped them or knocked them off a bench and tried to catch them.

Fingers find their way into the trigger guard. In one case, an accident at our range happened with a holstered Glock draw. The holster had a small release button near the trigger guard, and it went off with a slip of the finger.

I personally carry Springfield XD pistols. I like the addition of the grip safety.

Marc

aptech77 03-07-2012 09:50 PM

Love my XD 40sw

alanint 03-07-2012 09:54 PM

Glocks are the opiate of the masses. I pray that the putz who tries to take me down someday is armed with a Glock while I drill him center mass with my custom Kimber or Les Baer Premier 2...

padredan 03-07-2012 09:54 PM

i to have a xd 40, the grip angle is more natural, the grip safety totaly makes sense

lugersrkewl 03-07-2012 11:10 PM

:)Why would anyone ever wanna take you down alanint? I mean seriously

Curly1 03-07-2012 11:25 PM

In general the "plastic" guns don't talk to me.

Local Parole officer some years back had her's discharge when she was unloading one at home.

The bullet went thru the floor into the apt downstairs and thru the guy length wise.

He survived but will be a mess the rest of his life.

padredan 03-07-2012 11:41 PM

Gary, thats one way to put it, just something about them, you do not bond with them. They shoot ok, and thats about it. I use to shoot steal plate matchs with a glock model 21, never hada problem with it. It ran well, gun was abused and kept on knocking the plates down. I nearly won a championship with it, not the guns fault, i twisted my knee. i still have it, must have had better than 5k in rounds through it, but i have no real feelings for it. just not sure what that is. But like i started this thread, they sure do have a following. I cancelled the ad for the glock i sold and still getting calls

lugerholsterrepair 03-07-2012 11:53 PM

Friends don't let Friends buy plastic guns...

mlmahon 03-08-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aptech77 (Post 209286)
Love my XD 40sw

I'm with you. Love my XD9SC BiMetal. Shooting Hornady TAP rounds for personal protection.

I've shot Glocks and they're ok, but the XD is a much higher quality manufactered pistol, more reliable, and safer due to the grip safety. :cheers:

-ML

Patronen 03-08-2012 06:59 AM

Because of the Police and Hollywood. Also they have a reputation of being the AK47 of the pistol world with regards to simplicity and reliability.

LugerMan.com 03-08-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patronen (Post 209311)
Because of the Police and Hollywood. Also they have a reputation of being the AK47 of the pistol world with regards to simplicity and reliability.

That's the post I was waiting for....

They are Ak's of the pistols and that is all the reason I need to trust and carry one ....

For me trust in the gun comes first...

Plastic or not...

Grip angle is closest to the Luger angle in all of the modern market...

To me it's a natural pointer.

Cops shooting floors and lockers is mostly a training issue.

I have seen some cops shoot in the range, let's just say i do not want them backing me up in a gun battle.

I think some departments do not spend much needed time and money to train with the guns they carry.

Jack Lawman 03-08-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanint (Post 209287)
Glocks are the opiate of the masses. I pray that the putz who tries to take me down someday is armed with a Glock while I drill him center mass with my custom Kimber or Les Baer Premier 2...

You should also pray that the putz doesn't take you from behind. Not all Glock owners are stupid.

Jack

calibrator 03-08-2012 11:08 AM

Always felt the same as most posters here, until they came out with the sub-compact Model 30. Even with the smallest mag, it carries 10 rds of .45 ACP. That pistol got A LOT of ink in the magazines when announced, thats why I got one. It has been my primary defensive piece for nearly 13 yrs, loaded with Gold Dots and Trijicon night sights. Never had a FTF or an FTE in it's life and is able to hit what I aim it at. A fully loaded full-size magazine weighs as much as the pistol itself. It's a tool and nothing more, don't care what it looks like, it's UGLY and thats it's beauty. At home, mine follows me from room to room, just like that old dog you'd never get rid of (and it looks it). YMMV :thumbup:

padredan 03-08-2012 11:47 AM

True, Glocks are just that utility, they do a good job and nothing fancy about them. Like i said i used one in .45 to shoot steal plate matchs with and it never failed. One reason alot of police departments use them is price. They will under bid about any other manufactur to get a police dept bid. Years ago i worked for texas dps, we carried sig sauer p229's in .357 sig. Most of the major cities like houston and dallas carried glocks. I asked one of the top armor's why was that. his answer, "they went cheap" you are part of one of the finest law enforcement agencies anywhere, we do not go cheap and you need to go and shine your boots.:roflmao:

Ron Smith 03-08-2012 02:12 PM

I've owned 3 Glocks 17, 22, and 35. I'll never own another one. The 17 jammed about every third round. The 22 mis-fired with light strikes about every third round. The 35 worked great, but the narrow trigger guard loop and knuckle grinder bump aren't friendly to large hands. I've always been somewhat repelled by alloy frames, and I'm convinced that I'm Polymer intolerant

I often go shoot with an Ex-Police Officer and NRA Certified instructor. He said that while he was working at the Oregon Firearms Academy instructing Police Officers from various agencies, that 9 times out of 10 if they had a jam, or an AD / ND it would usually be a Glock. He said that the least problems encountered were with Sigs. He carries an older Sig 220 exclusively in the winter. And carries a S&W 640 in the summer. These have always been my favorite carry guns also. I carry a S&W 649, as well as an Interarms PPK , Kahr K-40 , Sig 220 .45 depending on the circumstances.

Vlim 03-08-2012 03:04 PM

We always say 'The Legoland police have them, so they should be good.' :D

alanint 03-08-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Lawman (Post 209333)
You should also pray that the putz doesn't take you from behind. Not all Glock owners are stupid.

Jack

Although it's a good bet, statistically. Glocks are the Budweiser beer for all those new CCW carry holders and women buying their first gun and anybody else who thinks the gun will do all the thinking for them so they don't have to train.
While of course not all Glock owners are stupid, Law Enforcement, for example, I'd have twice as many alarm bells going off if my oponent was carrying a tuned 1911 or a similar carry piece. I'd KNOW he knows how to hit what he's aiming at.