LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   KSD Grips (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42162)

Mauser9x57 05-11-2023 04:31 PM

KSD Grips

Has anyone tried the KSD grips for the post war Mauser 06/73 parabellums? I hate the way they feel in my hand, and wondered if these KSD grips were better. The grips also need to fit, so if they fail there they are worthless. Thank you.

rhuff 05-12-2023 02:43 PM

You can do as many of us with post war Mauser lugers have done......send the grips off and have them cut down a bit. It is a big improvement, I think. Just a thought.

ithacaartist 05-12-2023 05:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauser9x57 (Post 347296)
...for the post war Mauser 06/73 parabellums...I hate the way they feel in my hand

Same deal with the 29/70 Swiss style frame I bought a while ago. It's like gripping a rough cut 2" X 4" and the checkered pattern was embossed into the web of my hand after a few shots! I sent them to a place that does cast urethane grips and had them reproduced in that material. The outfit will make you a set for free if you send in grips that they don't already have molds for.

I reduced the thickness of the repros and re-checkered them 20 lpi, and they're comfy to use for shooting, while preserving the originals. I even had them take a shot at matching the color of original "red Swiss" grips, and they came pretty close.

I doubt they have molds for the 06/73, so somebody who's the first one to send some could probably get the same deal. Unfortunately, you'll have to resurrect contact info for the cast grip place since I've lost track of it. IIRC, it's in Florida and run by a woman.

Mauser9x57 05-15-2023 01:59 PM

No luck

I had no luck finding IIRC.
I had a set of new wooden grips made, but they feel almost worse. One problem with the post war Mauser grips is they have a flat profile when viewed from the top or bottom. Original Luger grips have a rounded profile. The grips that were made for me are also flat. Anyway thank you for the reply.

Edward Tinker 05-15-2023 02:38 PM

who is KSD - I'm near Spokane :)

sdmark777 05-15-2023 02:50 PM

Here ya go:

ksd grips
https://www.ksdgripsusa.com

rhuff 05-16-2023 02:49 PM

Those grips are for the original early P08 Lugers, and are not a fit for the post-war Mauser Luger.

Mauser9x57 05-16-2023 09:29 PM

06/73 Grips

If you click on the link supplied by sdmar777 then click on Mauser you will find KSD does indeed offer grips for Mauser Parabellum 06/73 models. KSD offers wooden grips for half what I paid someone to make me a set. I was hoping someone here might have tried them and could tell me if they were worth buying. Thank you.

Kiwi 05-17-2023 08:54 AM

Makes sense - Luger name now belonging to Stoeger.
Mauser could not use the name Luger for the 06/73 models hence the Parabellum.
So KSD would also use Mauser Parabellum, not Luger

rhuff 05-17-2023 02:37 PM

I stand corrected. :o

ithacaartist 05-20-2023 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauser9x57 (Post 347313)
I had no luck finding IIRC.
I had a set of new wooden grips made, but they feel almost worse. One problem with the post war Mauser grips is they have a flat profile when viewed from the top or bottom. Original Luger grips have a rounded profile. The grips that were made for me are also flat. Anyway thank you for the reply.

Yes, it's true about their flat profile. But since the original Mauser grips are extra thick on the frame, there's plenty of meat there to round them, as I did with my repro urethane ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi (Post 347332)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi (Post 347332)

Yes, IIRC, Stoeger acquired the name in the 1920s when they were importing the pistols. To call themn Lugers is actually quite an American phenomenon. The gun debuted as the Parabellum, by which it's known to most of the rest of the world. Sometimes if you refer to them as Lugers, an European might look at you quizzically, as if you are a strange bug.