LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Show us your "shooter" lugers! (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=35303)

DonVoigt 01-30-2016 08:44 PM

Show us your "shooter" lugers!

5 Attachment(s)
Many of use recommend that matching guns not be shot, some take this to heart and buy "shooters", or put them together, or save mongrels from the ignominy of being converted to parts!

Here are my shooters, each has a story of why and how it came to be.

To achieve "shooter" status for me, a pistol must be 99% reliable, some matching guns won't achieve shooter status! Many shooters require patience and effort to make them reliable.

These four have made it; I have a couple more that need tweaking to achieve reliability.:o

You can see that they comprise 4", 6", and 8" pistols.
The artillery is a commercial made barrel on a 1917 DWM upper on a Mauser frame.
The Navy is an original '06 frame and toggle train, with an
'06 original barrel in a Kreighoff receiver, some of you may have followed its resurrection in my "basket case" thread.
The 4" DWM commercial(upper left) is in 7.65mm , and exception in that it is mostly matching, and is an infallible shooter.
The 4" 9mm is a Mauser G date upper, mismatched Mauser S/42 toggle train, on a '37 Mauser lower-it is also totally reliable.

Now let's see yours!:cheers:

4 Scale 01-30-2016 09:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Really nice range kit there Don. I like and envy the barrel length assortment.

Here is the shooter inventory. All are reliable and accurate.

Top: 1936 All matching Mauser except for unnumbered but proofed grips. Rough external finish, currently in the process of finalizing a sale. Mechanically this pistol is flawless but it has some external pitting and I've discovered I just don't like owning firearms with noticeable pitting, so someone is getting a fine shooter/low end collectible.

Middle: 1900 AE, probably has been refinished several times. The eagle over the chamber is nearly gone, probably due to buffing. All numbered parts match except hold open. It's been reblued over pitting, and the pitting is mostly on the underside of the trigger guard so it is not very visible.

Bottom: 1938 Mauser, mostly matching with a DWM toggle that matches itself and a Mauser proofed replacement barrel. Trigger does not match, side plate is aftermarket, left grip and firing pin are unnumbered. Professionally re-blued upper and side plate by Charles Danner.

P08Leder 01-31-2016 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1918 Erfurt, refinished, upper all matching, but doesn't match the lower. Replacement grips, non-original mag, paid $650.
Shoot great once I got her lubed and running.

mrerick 01-31-2016 09:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my favorite "shooter". It's a 1937 Mauser made Luger, all matching, with a holster induced "skin condition"...

It's mechanically fine with a great bore and an accurate shooter...

DonVoigt 01-31-2016 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Alvin,
I asked for "pictures" of your shooter lugers- not analysis or advice!

Show us your shooter(s)!:) Broomhandles are welcome!

My only potential shooter Broom is a Bolo, out to Redman's for reline at present!
Chamber was so pitted, would not extract a fired cartridge case.:(
Matching except bolt, lanyard ring and boss removed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alvin (Post 283656)
If you have many, pick up a few relatively lower ones and shoot it occasionally is not very guilty. It does not have to be a very low grade gun. And, it's still a collectible if it does not break. Of course, there is a chance it could break... on guns that I played, I found that's rare situation because they were in great shape to begin with. Did break small parts on a couple of them though.... but I did build up confidence on them -- their behavior in clean range condition is not lower than modern Glock. In dirty environment, God knows, I don't want to test that :)

DonVoigt 01-31-2016 10:55 AM

4scale,
Your AE reminds me that I "need" a 1900 shooter!;)

rolandtg 01-31-2016 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My incorrectly refinished RC shooter.
Matching BYF41 upper mated with different matching lower and a side plate from yet a third gun.
I replaced the grips since this photo was taken.
It shoots just fine!

Sonofeugene 01-31-2016 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 56231

My father bought this 42 byf (and a free box of ammo) in 1948 from a Missouri gun dealer for 35 dollars. I still have the original telegram communications between the dealer and my father. I'm thinking he wanted a Luger when he was over in France during WWII but was unable to get one. He did get a 1934 model Beretta in .380 while in Italy just before the invasion of the south of France. I'm sure he had it with him as he stormed the beaches. And then, while in France, he picked up a WWI vintage Spanish Izarra (the rarer long barrel model) that was made for the French military. While in France, he made some clear sweetheart grips for the Izarra and I'm thinking that's what inspired the multi color grips he made for the Luger. I do have the original Luger grips, though.

The Luger is all numbers matching except for the mag which is period correct. I got the mag from Mike Krause in exchange for the one in my father's gun which was apparently for a much earlier Luger. The barrel is a little rough but grooves and lands are good and it's very accurate. As you can see, it's been polished a bit and reblued. A good shooter.

Edward Tinker 01-31-2016 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alvin, I think they have medication to help with concentration. :)

13 postings on this thread and 4 of them are yours, to discuss, but do not show anything.

MY latest shooter (below) - my 1914 Erfurt Artillery, I can't seem to find any pictures right now :confused:

sheepherder 02-01-2016 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 283659)
Alvin,
I asked for "pictures" of your shooter lugers- not analysis or advice!

Wow! :roflmao: If we all followed this demand, there would be no discussion at all on this site... :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofeugene (Post 283665)
Attachment 56231

My father bought this 42 byf (and a free box of ammo) in 1948 from a Missouri gun dealer for 35 dollars.

I bet Zorba would pay dearly to have those zebra grips... :D

DonVoigt 02-01-2016 10:31 PM

I thought he copied the T 14 Nambu, the Ruger .22 bolt is a near ringer!:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrerick (Post 283728)
Bill Ruger duplicated the Luger grip angle on his Mark series .22 semi-autos. On his .22-45 series, they duplicated the M1911a1 grip angle.

I have the Mark-I and Mark-III pistols, and use them for introductory classes. They are very well made and hold up well over years of shooting. It's a good accurate pistol, but a pain to completely strip for cleaning (which I never do). Just a quick cleaning with a boresnake is generally enough. They eat just about any .22LR ammo and have a magazine safety.

The list price of the blued target version is $500, so you're looking at retail or close to it.

http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIITarget/models.html

TheRomanhistorian 02-01-2016 11:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Most of my collection are such pistols (I do have one 'lower' end collectible all matching 1913 Luger) but I find a joy in collecting shooter Lugers.

Here are 3 of mine in order:
A chromed Erfurt 1918 (all matching numbers, internally and externally, alas) but I got it at $650 so not a bad price!

Interarms 6" 9mm Luger (a fun one to shoot with at the range).

A reblued 1917 Artillery Luger.

tharpo 02-02-2016 01:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My most reliable and accurate shooter is an all matching 41 byf. Has some dings and some left side holster rash. Came with the original black plastic grips. Odd thing is, the grip straps are 99% blue.

kurusu 02-02-2016 07:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My long time shooter has been this BYF 41. I recently got an S/42 1938 but haven't taken pictures yet.
Attachment 56281
Attachment 56282

Curly1 02-03-2016 01:34 PM

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/p1000149.jpg

Curly1 02-03-2016 01:37 PM

Reblued Police matching except wooden base mag.

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/p1000157.jpg

Curly1 02-03-2016 01:37 PM

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/p1000155.jpg

DonVoigt 02-03-2016 03:12 PM

Curly,
thanks for the pictures, but I'm curious, why one picture per post? Instead of 3 in one?:confused:

kurusu 02-03-2016 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 283797)
Curly,
thanks for the pictures, but I'm curious, why one picture per post? Instead of 3 in one?:confused:

Suspense? :D

spartacus38 02-03-2016 10:31 PM

nice shooters.
Bob