LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Newbie !!! (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=35377)

Paultje 02-22-2016 08:12 AM

Newbie !!!

Hi everyone,first time here !!!

Just got my first Luger (will add fotos asap) from a friend....

1918 DWM all matching numbers including mag, in a very good condition, including 1918 Erfurt issued holster and tool.

I have a spare magazine with wooden bottom S/N 6191 that doesn't match the weapon and Alu bottom mag S/N 3514.
Is there a list of "spare"mags anywhere as would be a dream to find a 3514 Imperial mag?!

Thanks for a great forum:rockon:

alanint 02-22-2016 08:31 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Edward Tinker 02-22-2016 09:07 AM

welcome to the forum!

Pictures are needed, to see if you have a police gun or post-war Vopo - as a WW1 would have a wood magazine base, so it shouldn't have an aluminum base, but a wood base :)

There is a listing of magazine numbers here on the forum from people trying to match up magazines.

mrerick 02-22-2016 10:15 AM

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. Search the site for "magazine matching" and you should find the postings.

Congratulations on your new Luger. Post pictures taken in shaded natural light. Use a tripod and eliminate camera shake. Get pictures with enough in focus detail to identify the markings and their characteristics.

You'll find a great deal of good reference material here to start studying.

Marc

Curly1 02-22-2016 12:16 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Paultje 02-23-2016 03:34 AM

Thanks for the Info/welcome everyone...will post fotos this evening !

Sergio Natali 02-23-2016 03:38 AM

Welcome to our Forum made by LUGER enthusiasts.

Tinplatejeff 02-23-2016 09:47 AM

Welcome, and if you plan to shoot it, you may not want to mention it here :rolleyes:

Sergio Natali 02-23-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinplatejeff (Post 284586)
Welcome, and if you plan to shoot it, you may not want to mention it here :rolleyes:

Paultje

Apparently you've got quite a nice Luger, I'd like to see some close up pictures but from your words it could be a collectible.
You can shoot it of course, :nono: BUT, please consider that it only takes one round for something unforeseen to occur, and the monetary and historical value may plummet like a rock, it's your choice.

Best regards.

DonVoigt 02-23-2016 05:25 PM

Quote:

You might want to explain why, instead of just a cryptic comment.:rolleyes:

A new guy is not going to get your "sarcasm", JMHO.

DonVoigt 02-23-2016 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paultje (Post 284517)
Hi everyone,first time here !!!

Just got my first Luger (will add fotos asap) from a friend....

1918 DWM all matching numbers including mag, in a very good condition, including 1918 Erfurt issued holster and tool.

I have a spare magazine with wooden bottom S/N 6191 that doesn't match the weapon and Alu bottom mag S/N 3514.
Is there a list of "spare"mags anywhere as would be a dream to find a 3514 Imperial mag?!

Thanks for a great forum:rockon:

Welcome, it sounds good,
but I'm a little confused. If it is matching with a matching magazine, which one matches?

The 1918 would have had an original wood base magazine,
so the aluminum is not an "original Match" - if that is what you are saying- but it is way better than none, IF it is legit.

You have to post pictures to show us!:)

Tinplatejeff 02-23-2016 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 284605)
You might want to explain why, instead of just a cryptic comment.:rolleyes:

A new guy is not going to get your "sarcasm", JMHO.

Yes, my bad, the point is many of us feel collector grade Lugers should not be fired for fear of breaking a numbered part.

Hope you enjoy your stay here on the forum.

Paultje 02-24-2016 03:02 AM

Quote:

Have already.....not good eh:confused:?!!!!

Paultje 02-24-2016 03:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 284606)
Welcome, it sounds good,
but I'm a little confused. If it is matching with a matching magazine, which one matches?

The 1918 would have had an original wood base magazine,
so the aluminum is not an "original Match" - if that is what you are saying- but it is way better than none, IF it is legit.

You have to post pictures to show us!:)

Has all matching numbers S/N 3514 with 14's everywhere including grips,but has an alu-bottomed mag no other markings,nickel,with 3514 also !!! Wooden mag is also nickel,but with different S/N

ithacaartist 02-25-2016 02:40 AM

Welcome to the forum, Paul.

Houston, we have a problem... as Don points out.

Occasional discussions about the odds of finding a second mag remind me of the story about the guy who wouldn't fly because the millions-to-one odds against a bomb on the plane were not sufficient to reassure him. After learning the even more remarkably astronomical odds against two bombs being aboard, he now flies everywhere--and brings his own bomb.

Anyway, we await whatever pics you can muster--nice juicy closeups of numbers and proofs!

kurusu 02-25-2016 04:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 56759

And welcome to the forum. :D