LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   New Guy Post: I need help identifying my 1935 Luger a bit more (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=40564)

WestinHill 09-01-2020 08:38 PM

New Guy Post: I need help identifying my 1935 Luger a bit more

6 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

First post here, so feel free to offer any comments/advice.

I could use some help to (hopefully) figure out what branch of the German military this pistol would've been supplied to after being manufactured. My research has told me that it could be a military issue or a police issue - which doesn't make sense to me.

I've been able to identify a good portion of the markings and symbols to provide me with at least half of this weapon's story:
All of the serial numbers match on all of the components.
Based on the markings on the top of the pistol, I know that it is an S/42 G series Luger produced by Mauser in 1935, after the K series was produced in 1934.
But I can't seem to narrow it down further from there. I am unable to find concrete info on all the other stamps located on the barrel and side of the frame.
I also can't seem to identify the "serial suffix" lowercase letter that is marked under the barrel above the trigger guard. It almost appears that it could be "b" or an "e" but it also looks like the marking could be damaged, I cant tell.
Any help or advice to identify this Luger would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
(pics included)

MFC 09-01-2020 09:17 PM

Hello Westin,
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking 'G Date'.
The full S# is 1814b.
8,82 under the S# on the barrel is the bore measured in millimeters from land to land.
W][154 and S][92 are acceptance stamps. The droop winged eagle stamps are firing proofs, found on the receiver, barrel and breechblock.
There are much more knowledgeable members here to help, but I hope this answers some of your questions.

Norme 09-01-2020 09:23 PM

Hi Westin,
I'm sorry to have to tell you that the side-plate is a replacement, it should br numbered externally. Other than that it looks like a nice example.
Norm

WestinHill 09-01-2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norme (Post 333201)
Hi Westin,
I'm sorry to have to tell you that the side-plate is a replacement, it should br numbered externally. Other than that it looks like a nice example.
Norm

That's too bad, but thanks for spotting that and letting me know. Although I never plan on selling this since it was acquired by my grandfather, do you think the replacement side-plate lowers the collectors value of it significantly? How many other places should I be looking for the serial numbers?
The number 14 pops up in quite a few places.

WestinHill 09-01-2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFC (Post 333200)
Hello Westin,
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking 'G Date'.
The full S# is 1814b.
8,82 under the S# on the barrel is the bore measured in millimeters from land to land.
W][154 and S][92 are acceptance stamps. The droop winged eagle stamps are firing proofs, found on the receiver, barrel and breechblock.
There are much more knowledgeable members here to help, but I hope this answers some of your questions.

Thanks so much for the info, I really needed help identifying that serial suffix and that narrows things down a lot! :cheers:
Do the 'acceptance stamps' and 'firing proofs' speak to who this would've been supplied to?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the pistol is from the 'b' suffix group it should be a military pistol, right? My research shows that only the 'e' suffix group had some pistols that were given to police.

Norme 09-01-2020 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Westin,
The side-plate seems to be the part most frequently replaced and most experienced collectors scrutinize this part. On Mauser Lugers the side-plate will be numbered internally as well, with the first two digits of the serial plus 1. The top left corner should be rounded over, see photo. I'm sorry to have to tell you that a replaced side-plate is a real value killer and the gun is relegated to "shooter " status.
Norm

DonVoigt 09-01-2020 10:46 PM

Westin,
The acceptance stamps do not tell anything about what part of the military(army) received the pistol, other than it is definitely military. Guns were transferred(sold) to the police from the factory and or later by the Army.

The side plate is a much later replacement, and looks to me like a reproduction part- based on the uneven finish of the metal and the "cast" appearance.

Norm is correct about "value", but a G date makes it a "collectible shooter" ;). JMHO

There is always a chance of finding an original #14 side plate made by Mauser and replacing the repro one- then you would have matching numbers- but not an original matching pistol- but it might look better, but not shoot any differently.

Doubs 09-02-2020 01:23 AM

I'm also of the opinion that the side plate is a later replacement.

There's a number on the sear just in front of the safety bar. I can't make out the number but it doesn't look like 14 to me. If it's not 14, than the sear is also a replacement.

Kiwi 09-02-2020 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubs (Post 333208)
I'm also of the opinion that the side plate is a later replacement.

There's a number on the sear just in front of the safety bar. I can't make out the number but it doesn't look like 14 to me. If it's not 14, than the sear is also a replacement.

Attached is a blow up of the sear # looks like 79